Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #1

Controlling the "Misc gas stations" filter

I've searched the forum and can't find if this has been answered.

I would like the route to show RV-friendly gas stations that are on or within say .5 miles from my route.

For this particular route, just 1 hr, there are none of my go-to's (TA, Pilot, etc). I need to fill up on my way, so I have to turn on "Misc. Fuel Stations" and then I get this mess:

2 questions:
Is there a way to tell the RVT to only show fuel stops that are within 0.25 miles of my route?

and

Are all these "misc fuel stations" RV-rig friendly, seeing as how I put in my height and length?

(other suggestions?)

Thanks
AM
amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #2

looking at my post I'm not seeing the screenshot I added. I'll try again.

Here's the link to it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mvnuu8e93lr8cy/fuel.png?dl=0
Old 06-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
D20

RVTW will show all gas stations that it knows about - RV friendly or not. I use Google Maps satellite view and street view to determine if I can get my RV into a particular station or not.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #4

Good to know! Thank you!

So ... that's a feature request I guess.

It'd be useful to have a cheat sheet of what features take your rig into account and which do not.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is not a means to specify a travel distance from your planned route to minimize the display of potential gas stops. And there is nothing to guarantee that any listed gas station is a place you can get into and out of. You have to verify that for yourself via Google Maps or other means. The gas station functionality in concert with the Fuel Warning function is a great way to narrow your search for prospective gas stops to a very discreet area so that you can find an acceptable stop in a minimum of time. But you can't just tell RVTW to find you a stop. That's expecting an awful lot, I think. There are so many variables in existing gas stations, I just don't know how you'd be able to catalog a list, especially when most stations don't publish data like that.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc123 View Post
Good to know! Thank you!

So ... that's a feature request I guess.

It'd be useful to have a cheat sheet of what features take your rig into account and which do not.
What is your RV?
Old 06-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #7

30' Thor 29FE, gas, class C.

I put all that info in my profile, hrm.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I've searched the forum and can't find if this has been answered.

I would like the route to show RV-friendly gas stations that are on or within say .5 miles from my route.

For this particular route, just 1 hr, there are none of my go-to's (TA, Pilot, etc). I need to fill up on my way, so I have to turn on "Misc. Fuel Stations" and then I get this mess:

2 questions:
Is there a way to tell the RVT to only show fuel stops that are within 0.25 miles of my route?

and

Are all these "misc fuel stations" RV-rig friendly, seeing as how I put in my height and length?

(other suggestions?)

Thanks
AM
As a truck driver in a former life, I have a Rand McNally 750 GPS. I love it because it will give me only fuel stops that a semi can get into. I figure that's good enough for me. Also will not route me to any underpass less than 13.6

I know you can buy the garmin and Rand McNally designed for RV's but I really trust this thing. I do also have a Garmin and it's interesting to see the difference in routes they give. Plus the Garmin works in Mexico, which the RM not.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #9

Flying J App

The Pilot/Flying J App has a filter for "RV-Friendly" locations, I've used it on my last 2 trips and they have pumps away from the standard pumps for RV's
jgtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
30' Thor 29FE, gas, class C.

I put all that info in my profile, hrm.
OK, that's good. That dimensional and weight info RVTW will use for proposing routes that are safe for you to use. However, gas stops do play in that. I may be wrong, but I doubt there's a cache of data anywhere to portray gas stations (not truck stops) in that manner. Since you are going to be using gas (vs. diesel) pumps, you're going to be looking for stations that either have dedicated RV Lanes, a. la Flying J, or locating stations that will accommodate your length and allow you to both enter and depart without restriction. Most gas RV'ers look for pumps that are set up parallel to the station building to make things easier. Possibly at 30', that won't be as critical to you. But what you should do is set up your gas stop warning feature to highlight the point on your route where you should start looking for a gas stop, and then zoom into that area to minimize the number of stations on your route map so that you can check out a handful to find the stop you want to make. That will simplify things for you. Just don't expect RVTW to tell you which station to stop at.

Tags
gas