Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #1

Distance Rings

I think I misunderstood the planning feature of this handy dandy program I just purchased today. It seem that you will only get distance rings IF you select a destination?

For Example, we are going from NE TN to Acadia Nat'l Park. It took me forever to get the route the way I think I want it. From there I was hoping that it would automatically show potential places to stop with the mileage that I chose. But it seems that all it will show me is a ring around what I have chosen for my final destination.

Besides figuring out the mileage on my own is there a way inside this program to do this? If not, I'm a bit bummed as thought this was a feature (that I think I didn't understand) that I was most looking forward to.

Or, am I missing something?

Thank you.
J1sFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

You'll get distance rings even if you only have a starting point, which is kind of the whole idea. Make sure you click on the starting point in the Trip menu on the left, and make sure the rings are enabled in your Trip Settings (wrench icon).
Old 02-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

To get the radius to appear, once you have set the distances up in Default or Trip Settings you will need to hover over a location on the map, click on the pop up and then click on the red/blue rings on the upper right of the pop up. The rings will appear once this is done

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #4

My strategy is to select my starting point and ultimate destination. That gives me a route.
In order to find a spot for the night, I zoom in to the edge of the ring centered around my stating point and turn on the campground display. Then I can see campgrounds that are near the distance that I had set with my ring set-up for a day's drive.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1sFamily View Post
I think I misunderstood the planning feature of this handy dandy program I just purchased today. It seem that you will only get distance rings IF you select a destination?
Just curious. Were you able to use the distance rings to find where you want to overnight?
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once you set up your trip settings, and then set a start point, you will get the distance rings. As you add stops you can move the distance rings to any stop by clicking on that stop in the left-hand pane, showing the list of stops.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #7

I am having a similar issue. I do believe it hinges on the default settings where you say how many hours you want to drive in a day (i.e. 4 hours) and then the circle presents the radius within which you can drive in 4 hours... I believe I understand the feature however my Average Speed at 65 MPH seems to yield a much bigger area than what I expect...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

You can use hours or distance for the rings. 65 mph is very high, this is an average speed, a majority of us use 50 mph. That takes into account th stop one makes. Seems to be a pretty good number.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 04-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You can use hours or distance for the rings. 65 mph is very high, this is an average speed, a majority of us use 50 mph. That takes into account th stop one makes. Seems to be a pretty good number.
If you use 50 what is your actual travelling speed and how often do you stop.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

Remember these are just averages.

We travel on interstates around 60-65. Stop every couple hours. We try to get gas just before we go into a campground for the night.

The rings are straightline distance also.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 04-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems this point of confusion is a recurring one. Instead of "Average Driving Speed" as the descriptor, maybe it should be "Average Miles Driven per Hour"? Maybe?
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

Both are there:

My experience is a majority of subscribers prefer the distance radii over the "hours".

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 04-04-2020, 06:41 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

Try this again. Avg. Driving Speed entry is requested as MPH. Many people don't realize that there actual avg. speed is less than their cruising speed.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
What program is this thread talking about?