Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
I-10 thru Phoenix, AZ. Park deck tunnel.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Are you sure? I've been through thst tunnel many times
and I don't remember seeing LP restrictions. I know they route commercial traffic on the I-15 loop but nothing about RV's.
Johnasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #44

I94 at Minneapolis

I94 in downtown Minneapolis. Eastbound use Lyndale exit then city streets. West bound lots of exits then city streets.
Both east and west bound use I494/694 and go around.
duncjimdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
AS a former LEO I believe they are referring to commercial trucks hauling Propane. Not a camper or RV with a small tank or (2) 40Lb tanks.
There are a lot of people on these forums that take a lot of these restrictions too seriously and think they apply to them when in fact they are aimed only at commercial vehicles.

A 40lb tank of propane is not a hazard in an underwater tunnel.

Yes, propane is heavier than air. That does not mean that if your tank leaks that propane is stuck in the tunnel forever. For one thing, I don't know if people have noticed, but inside these tunnels there is vehicle traffic. Vehicle traffic tends to create turbulent air inside these tunnels. What that means is that if some propane gets in there, it will mix with the other air and flow out one side of the tunnel with the other air. It will have a tendency to "sink" and therefore it will not be blown out of tunnel quite as fast as other gases, but I assure you it will not remain in the tunnel indefinitely.

Now a commercial tanker, hauling 3500 gallons of propane, can cause some real problems. A tanker like that *can* have a significant leak, and if it gets stuck in traffic and leaks 1000 gallons of propane in a short time, there's going to be a huge problem, even if the gas doesn't ignite.

I'm willing to bet the enforcement on tanker trucks is strict, and for good reason. But it would be ridiculous to apply the same standards to an RV, which does not pose the same hazard.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #46

WE have learned that the restrictions relate to commercial vehicles.......We inquired in Maryland and New York and from what we were told.....RVs are allowed with the valve closed and the quantity that we carry is allowed......about the amount in the tanks that are used for our home grills and a bit more. Please let me know if Im wrong
sfarkasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarkasmd View Post
WE have learned that the restrictions relate to commercial vehicles.......We inquired in Maryland and New York and from what we were told.....RVs are allowed with the valve closed and the quantity that we carry is allowed......about the amount in the tanks that are used for our home grills and a bit more. Please let me know if Im wrong
Generally speaking this is going to be the correct answer. There is a regular debate on this board everytime someone asks about a sign that says "no trucks over X" and whether that applies to RVs.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced. The laws of man are pretty much always negotiable. When a bridge or any road has a posted weight limit, I suggest you abide by it. If a sign specifies "trucks" as in "no trucks over X weight" then you can be pretty safe in assuming your RV is exempt.

Same is true for propane. The restrictions (and potential danger) applies to commercial trucks carrying huge loads.

Your 40 gal tank isn't going to hurt anyone and the police need probable cause to pull you over anyway. Drive safe, don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. Don't drive with your propane tank on, ever.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
Generally speaking this is going to be the correct answer. There is a regular debate on this board everytime someone asks about a sign that says "no trucks over X" and whether that applies to RVs.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced. The laws of man are pretty much always negotiable. When a bridge or any road has a posted weight limit, I suggest you abide by it. If a sign specifies "trucks" as in "no trucks over X weight" then you can be pretty safe in assuming your RV is exempt.

Same is true for propane. The restrictions (and potential danger) applies to commercial trucks carrying huge loads.

Your 40 gal tank isn't going to hurt anyone and the police need probable cause to pull you over anyway. Drive safe, don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. Don't drive with your propane tank on, ever.
Great post and I thought for a fleeting moment we were going to put this to rest but now undoubtedly the debate will again start on propane on or off when driving. Really don’t know how one would be expected to drive cross country with a fridge that runs on propane or electric and a generator that runs on propane with it off. They’re just not made that way. Each to their own I guess.
halibut214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #49

Is the No Propane marking for the I-10 tunnel in Mobile new, it did not have one the last time I was there?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut214 View Post
Great post and I thought for a fleeting moment we were going to put this to rest but now undoubtedly the debate will again start on propane on or off when driving. Really don’t know how one would be expected to drive cross country with a fridge that runs on propane or electric and a generator that runs on propane with it off. They’re just not made that way. Each to their own I guess.
Ok fine drive with it on I guess it's really not that big of a deal.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
According to VADOT: Before motor homes can go through tunnels, they must stop to have propane tanks checked.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #52

Caldecott tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
The Caldecott tunnel between Moraga and Oakland in N. Cal.
Restriction in Caldecott is just for commercial trucks/tankers carrying hazardous fuel/materials.
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
No propane?

Do they honestly think rver’s Are going turn off their propane before they go thru these tunnels? It’s just one more ridiculous law some government idiot has passed. I suppose they have the cops waiting for the rv’s to come thru the tunnel so they can stop them and check their appliances.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #54

The one thing I have learned in my trips around the sun is Every City, County, state, country, Neighborhood. Have their own version of laws, signs and regulations. Shoot even in my own town they had different speed laws past the school one road is flasher based and the other road is time based. Even our tunnel has reader boards that say No flammable cargo… but only some times of year and times of day...

If your out of town and know there are tunnels or other unique things call around ahead of time learn what you can if you can, otherwise do your best to read signs ETC. there is a ton of data online.

Yes some things are exempt when your hauling an RV some aren't. Some things are weight based in life example you can carry a 100 lb tank in your pickup with no issues but if you had 11 of them in the back … you need hazmat placards and if your caught your going to have a bad day.

Remember its your ship and your the captain.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #55

propane

Just went through McHenry tunnel this past week. It clearly states no propane, but I could not find a place to safely pull off to shut the tank off. The traffic was so bad, I felt it dangerous just to do it on the shoulder since the shutoff is driver side which would be in the traffic lane of those inattentive and crazy drivers. Is there an actual safe pull off before the tunnel??
Kenwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #56

Yes, RV's that bypass the inspection point do get stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
Do they honestly think rver’s Are going turn off their propane before they go thru these tunnels? It’s just one more ridiculous law some government idiot has passed. I suppose they have the cops waiting for the rv’s to come thru the tunnel so they can stop them and check their appliances.
I've driven through the I-64 heading to Virginia Beach, VA many times and have stopped for the inspection. The pull off was well marked and cars were courteous letting us back in the lane after the inspection even in very heavy traffic. A relative driving a class C didn't realize they had to stop and were pulled over after not stopping at the inspection station. Fortunately for them, they weren't cited. It would be interesting if an all electric RV would be stopped based on an outdated assumption that all RV's had on-board propane systems.

Going in the tunnel underwater is a bit spooky, I'm most happy for all the government employees to make it as safe as possible.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane