Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 04:52 AM   #15
RV LIFE Support Team

I am curios if this will work. I didn't kknow that Base Camp could export a GPX file.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 05:18 AM   #16
RV LIFE Support Team

Once you start navigating the route will appear. What has been loss is the ability to overlay the actual route with additional layers and to combine routes onto one map for blogs.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #17
RV LIFE Support Team

I have been playing with this. If you export a csv file you only get the stops and then can create a driving layer fairly easily, time consuming. Once created you can delete the original layer or not.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #18
RV LIFE Support Team

We now have a response:

So that support of various GPS units can be enhanced, Google Maps has been impacted and no longer displays an actual route, black lines connect the stops when a download of the GPX file is done. A solution to this for Google Maps is to download the CSV file instead. This puts a pin at each stop and a driving layer can then be created. This is a bit time consuming but does produce a route. Once this is completed any additional layers you use can then be included.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #19

As of 7/30/2021 all of the above issues remain. Very aggravating.
JDHJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #20

That's Googles route choice not RVTW's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We now have a response:

This puts a pin at each stop and a driving layer can then be created.
If that's Google route then what's the point!
rvdpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #21

Yes exactly, when you add a Google driving directions layer you will get routing by Google's algorithms. So exactly, what's the point. Same issue with Garmins' Base Camp.

Perhaps Sue can suggest to the RVTW developers to allow a choice of downloads so we can use the route we created in RVTW in other mapping software.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #22
RV LIFE Support Team

We are ahead of you. The option to replicate the RVTW trip is coming. I have no date as of this time as the update is still in initial testing. You will be able to choose which routing you prefer.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #23

Thanks Sue for making the developers understand what's going on with the latest updates. I use RVTW exclusively for routing, sometimes tweaking the route with the drag feature. Exporting the route and having it display exactly as created in RVTW in both Google My Maps and Base Camp is very helpful to me.
Both sold
Old 08-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #24
RV LIFE Support Team

I wasn't clear, this will apply only to RV Life.

The route for MyMaps will not improve. I just add a lot more stops to force the route mostly to a road. Base Camp will continue to present as straight lines. Once loaded onto the GPS the routing will be created based on the GPS algorithm.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #25

Sue is correct in that you can add more stops to RVTW to force a particular route when it's downloaded as a GPX. That's totally unnecessary and makes a mess of the RVTW route and display.

I will continue to use RVTW for my planning but this last update has lessen the value of RVTW for me. I can no longer duplicate the exact RVTW routing on Google My Maps or Base Camp. Big lost to me.
Both sold
Old 08-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We are ahead of you. The option to replicate the RVTW trip is coming. I have no date as of this time as the update is still in initial testing. You will be able to choose which routing you prefer.
Am I interpreting this correctly that RV Life Will be able to replicate the RVTW path, with waypoints, and without a connection? I'm assuming having already downloaded relevant state maps.

If so, I'm happy to hear this. It enables me to use RV Life on a tablet and dispense with my Rand-McNally RV GPS. (I'll keep it around as a backup.)
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #27
RV LIFE Support Team

I have not been involved in any testing so I don't know the answer.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #28

I must really be missing something. This is my first post as I'm trying to make RVTW worth it for me. Seems with all this noodling around I'm just as well off with using my old method of researching on Google, creating a map and an Excel file with stops details.

I don't want another device in my cab. I have a perfectly good infotainment system with built in navigation or I can connect my phone for Google Maps.

All this to get "RV friendly" nav? I've travelled over 40k miles in 5 seasons now without it. I think I'm good. The RVTW nav interface is clunky at best.
enrv is offline   Reply With Quote