Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #1

Export feature not working correctly?

I've always used RVTW for trip planning and will download my RVTW route to Google My Maps. I noticed today when I exported a route created in RVTW as a GPX file, the export does not follow roads but rather shows a straight line between stops. So when I open the exported file in Google My Maps, My Maps simply shows a straight line between stops. I also opened the same GPX file in Garmin's Base Camp and got the same results and interestingly the displayed route in Base Camp was a route not a track as it normally should be.
Anybody else experiencing this?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Please send in a ticket to the Help Desk, we are keeping track of users that use Google Maps. The straight lines in BaseCamp I don't think should be, but I am not sure. I have sent this on to the programmers.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

Thanks Sue, this is something new. The export process use to work seamlessly, but just today I started getting straight lines between stops both in Base Camp and Google My Maps.
Both sold
Old 07-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

This occurred in the latest update.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-03-2021, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
This occurred in the latest update.
I'm sorry Sue, I don't follow. Are you saying the issue I'm dealing with occurred in the last update??
If so I would think it would effect all exports from RVTW including to a GPS.
Both sold
Old 07-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

If you look in What's New a change was made for GPX to change shaping points to maneuver points. Obviously some unintended consequences. The goal was to improve GPS routing but you are saying Base Camp was affected also.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #7

Yes Base Camp does the same thing, displays a straight line between stops, so ie not routing by using roads. Also I noticed when downloading a GPX from RVTW into Base Camp, Base Camp receives the route as a route not a track. Before it received a route from RVTW as a track. The reason I believe is a track has many turn points thus it forms a route aligned with roads. Now it appears RVTW is just downloading the stops with no aligning turn points. When I download a route from RVTW as a CSV file and open the file it too shows just the stops and no aligning points.
Both sold
Old 07-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #8

Does importing the RVTW GPX into MyMaps result in Google Maps following the planned route, including waypoints? Or does it determine the route on its own, not considering RV issues?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Does importing the RVTW GPX into MyMaps result in Google Maps following the planned route, including waypoints? Or does it determine the route on its own, not considering RV issues?
When you import a trip from RVTW and create a map in Google My Maps you are simply creating a map with a line showing you're route as created in RVTW. There is no driving instructions or turn by turn instructions. It shows the route as a blue line exactly as created in RVTW. However you can add a driving directions layer into your My Maps. If you do, My Maps will then route you to your destination using it's Google's routing algorithms.
Both sold
Old 07-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
... However you can add a driving directions layer into your My Maps. If you do, My Maps will then route you to your destination using it's Google's routing algorithms.
Thanks. I was hoping it included explicit driving directions generated by RVTW that included waypoints added by me to the route. Using Google's algorithm to route my RV can be risky.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #11

Yes, yes and yes! I just purchased a Garmin RV 890 (expensive) and had been using RVTW with my Rand McNally RV GPS, and it worked perfectly, exporting a GPX file and uploading to the GPS. The new Garmin is not doing this well at all via BaseCamp. An uploaded "pre-planned trip" does not show up as a "trip", like the manual says it should. Instead, it comes over as a "few waypoints", and not even the entire trip. Also, the track is point-to-point and not via existing map roads.

I've communicated this issue to both Garmin and RVTW yesterday. RVTW responded immediately and is "looking into it". Garmin acknowledged receipt of my detailed email on how to duplicate the problem, but has not responded further. It will be interesting to see which company owns the issue, obviously a software bug in one of the two platforms.
gregoryd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #12

Any Thing New?

I just started a 7 day free trial of RVLife and RV Trip Wizard, planned out my summer trip - it really was quite fun - and exported it to Google Maps following the directions online (downloading GPX>importing to MyMaps>etc.) only to find the exact issue described here.

A lot of places on the map and a lot of straight black lines between those places. A nice low-rez polygon representation of my trip but not a route one could follow.

I saw an update issue started making this happen. Anything new in it being fixed? I have six days to decide.

Thanks.
Toad Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #13

I have experienced that same thing. I exported the File to my computer. When I open it on the computer in google maps it just shows black straight lines on the path I will take but not road specific.

Thanks
jeffscra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:39 AM   #14

Try importing into BaseCamp (free from Garmin), then re-calculate each leg, then export to your computer. Other than the export part, I used this method to upload to my RV 890 and each leg of the multi-stop trip conformed to highways.
gregoryd73 is offline   Reply With Quote