Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to C-Hymas Send a message via Yahoo to C-Hymas
Fuel stops don't work correctly

Works okay for a short trip. However, when planning a long trip the system seems to bog down and won't update the fuel level when you update how much fuel you plan to add.

Went back the next day, some were updated, others didn't show the fill amount, others show the amount in the RV being at full with the amount used being what it should.

For a paid for program I am expecting better interaction that this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I agree and no one has answered why the routing of a recent trip sent right up under a 10'0" railroad bridge, when I specifically set my RV specs to 11'6".
Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

Frustrated

I just purchased this today and so far I think the concept is great, but it's very frustrating. The fuel stops don't take your added fuel into account and it's frustrating to work out a long and complicated trip and then have your start date change by a week or so with no way to update the program. I'm wondering if I just wasted 40 bucks...
GoJipSeeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

I thought it did that to me also, but when I zoomed in really tight I realized it was a side street that ran parallel to the main road.
GoJipSeeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
I agree and no one has answered why the routing of a recent trip sent right up under a 10'0" railroad bridge, when I specifically set my RV specs to 11'6".
The low bridge is marked in RVTW, so it knows about it being on the map.
I did zoom in to check it on Google Maps Satellite & Street View. The location in question is Geneseo, IL when coming from I-80 on the south side of town heading to the Geneseo Campground, RVTW tells you to take Illinois State Route 82 thru town which takes you up thru the 10’0” underpass. Fortunately, if you actually go that route, they have a truck route marked to turn right and it takes you around the low bridge. The campground website warns about this low bridge and to ignore your GPS and just follow all the blue and white signs to the campground. That route takes you straight up Oakwood St., across the RR tracks, left on Exchange St, then right on SR 82 just north of the low bridge.

Something like this, issue makes me wonder about the ability to route me correctly for other low bridges and underpasses based on my RV height setting.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

As far as I know, the fuel stops are working correctly. I'd like to hear for certain if they aren't, after following the information below.

At the beginning of your trip, it is assumed the fuel tank is full. As you plan your stops, the fuel warning icon will appear at the mileage point for your rig, based on the Miles Per Gallon, Fuel Tank Capacity, and Reserve Gallons you have specified in the RV Info tab, in the Trip Preferences. Somewhere around that fuel warning, you'll need to create a stop, either a specific fuel stop, or simply a campground with fuel nearby. In the details of that stop, where you would enter how many nights you are staying, cost, and other details, is a field for Fuel Added. Enter the number of gallons you have put in or expect to put in and it will show the next fuel warning at the appropriate distance as you continue to create your trip.If you look at that stop again, the Fuel Added will now be empty, but the remaining fuel will have increased by the amount you added, and as mentioned, the next fuel warning will show up at the appropriate distance on your map.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to C-Hymas Send a message via Yahoo to C-Hymas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
As far as I know, the fuel stops are working correctly. I'd like to hear for certain if they aren't, after following the information below.

At the beginning of your trip, it is assumed the fuel tank is full. As you plan your stops, the fuel warning icon will appear at the mileage point for your rig, based on the Miles Per Gallon, Fuel Tank Capacity, and Reserve Gallons you have specified in the RV Info tab, in the Trip Preferences. Somewhere around that fuel warning, you'll need to create a stop, either a specific fuel stop, or simply a campground with fuel nearby. In the details of that stop, where you would enter how many nights you are staying, cost, and other details, is a field for Fuel Added. Enter the number of gallons you have put in or expect to put in and it will show the next fuel warning at the appropriate distance as you continue to create your trip.If you look at that stop again, the Fuel Added will now be empty, but the remaining fuel will have increased by the amount you added, and as mentioned, the next fuel warning will show up at the appropriate distance on your map.
I have set up all the preferences and it works for a while. When you get to building a large trip and you set a planned fuel stop and adjust what you add for fuel the total doesn't always update and then the whole trip from that stop forward is off.

The program seems to get bogged down with the more you add to it.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I add my fuel stops in one of 2 ways...

1. Pre-planned in the route with out any fuel added until I actually do add fuel.

2. On the fly and then admit after the route has been built.

Personally, I use the fuel stop indicator as a ball park time to refuel. It is kinda nice but not essential. However, my experience over 3 years of travels and use of RVTW is that it works as expected.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I add my fuel stops in one of 2 ways...

1. Pre-planned in the route with out any fuel added until I actually do add fuel.

2. On the fly and then admit after the route has been built.

Personally, I use the fuel stop indicator as a ball park time to refuel. It is kinda nice but not essential. However, my experience over 3 years of travels and use of RVTW is that it works as expected.
What is the name of this 'fuel stop' program?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
What is the name of this 'fuel stop' program?
Never mind.
Looks like maybe 'Trip Wizard '?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #11

The Trip Wizard fuel stops portion does not work at all.
When I add a fuel stop and "add Fuel" the next stop shows a negative fuel value.

I'm not impressed with the software so far.
Essayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayon View Post
The Trip Wizard fuel stops portion does not work at all.
When I add a fuel stop and "add Fuel" the next stop shows a negative fuel value.

I'm not impressed with the software so far.
Sorry , but your not doing it right. I have used trip wizard for to years including planning several long trips. It is not the simplest way to do fuel stops but it does work.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
The fuel stops is all messed up. I gave up on it
Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #14

I've had decent experience with the fuel added function but it also has failed to register and update too. In that case I deleted the fuel stop, went back to the beginning of the trip to make sure all entries were accurate and updated, and then added the fuel stop back in and it corrected itself to the correct calculation. Cumbersome... but it did end up working...
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel