RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Fuel Usage Not Calculating Correctly?

New to the Wizard and am planning my first trip. I started trip with a full tank, (55 gal), drove to next fuel stop and added 39.84 gallons to top off at 55 gallons. First stop has starting 55 gal, used 39.84, remaining 15.16, added 39.84, departure 55 gal. Drove a little further and camped for a couple of nights (camping stop added).

Left campground and made another fuel stop 224 miles from the first fuel stop. That should equate to 26.67 gallons used. However, the calculated data says I left the last fuel stop with 25.34 gallons and burned 2.06 gallons. It appears that it may be recalculating fuel from the last camping stop? How do I make the calculations work from fuel stop to fuel stop?
Civrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All things working the way they should, RVTW calculates the incremental fuel used for each leg, and subtracts that from fuel remaining at the last stop, no matter if the last stop was a fuel stop or not. So fuel required at your next gas stop will be the sum of each incremental fuel usage on each leg since the last fuel stop. So, basically, your fuel upload at your gas stop will be your full tank quantity minus your estimated arriving fuel quantity. I hope that this addresses your question.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
May I suggest when the fuel gauge gets below 1/2 tank to start looking for a gas station.

Especially if you are crossing the northern midwestern states or the deserts out west.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
May I suggest when the fuel gauge gets below 1/2 tank to start looking for a gas station.

Especially if you are crossing the northern midwestern states or the deserts out west.
I would agree with you, but I think, based on the question posed, that he's "driving" his route on his computer to understand where and when he needs to set up possible fuel stops. In the process, he's trying to understand how RVTW is performing those consumption calculations.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I would agree with you, but I think, based on the question posed, that he's "driving" his route on his computer to understand where and when he needs to set up possible fuel stops. In the process, he's trying to understand how RVTW is performing those consumption calculations.
I'm aware of that...just offering some hard learned advice about fuel consumption in various areas of the country.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Wow! You guys are really organized.

I don't know exactly where I'm going, or when I'll get there.

It's one of the benefits of being an "Unplanned" traveller I guess.

So this RVTW tells you when and where to stop for fuel? That's amazing.

I'm only 60 feet long, so can pretty much fill up at most fuel stops, so just start looking when I'm around 1/3 tank.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I don't plan all my fuel stops out ahead of time as mileage each day varies with the weather:
Hot and sunny, running the AC more -> a little less mpg
Strong headwind -> a little less mpg
Strong tailwind -> a little better mpg
Big mountains -> a little less mpg
Flat land -> a little better mpg
Each morning, I use a conservative number and estimate about where I'll need to fuel up, if needed during the next leg. Using iExit trucks app, I look for truck stops around that distance when I will be at about 1/4 tank.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #8

Fuel Stops, costs, etc.

I usually do the same, regarding fuel stops, but it's a nice feature to know approximately where you will need fuel and what is available when you do need it. I also like to know how much fuel and other costs will be during a trip. I figured out most of the issues I had while learning how to use the program to get an accurate number.

Unplanned routes and vacations is a luxury we haven't achieved yet. Between, kids in school and when can we overlap our vacations, we have had to really plan our travel to economize whet little time we had. That should end in a few months when we are both retired. Planned trips will probably be a hard habit to kick.
Civrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Along the same lines, all of our RV trips are planned. We don't full-time, and when we travel, we try to stuff as much into travel route and time (anywhere from 2-6 weeks) as we can. So RVTW for us is a huge enabler. And especially since we travel in a gas Class A with toad, being able to scope out prospective gas stops ahead of time, especially when traveling the interstates, is a great benefit. Off interstate isn't as big an issue as you can scope out sites in real time as you drive past them. Exiting interstates only to find out you won't fit at the pumps drives me nuts. Thank you RVTW for allowing me to determine about where I'll want to start looking for gas, and then check satellite maps beforehand to make sure I'll fit. Life is good...

Tags
fuel