Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Glacier Natl Park Bound

Hi All! I'm headed to GNP from San Diego mid-June-ish and I'm seeking tips, insight from any that have made the drive towing a car, or parts of the drive even!

My fancy e-lec-tron-ic de-vice shows I should take I 15 for about 20+ hours...I'm not in a hurry, got time on my hands and plan on stopping to smell whatever I can along the way.

I'm open to almost any input/advice/help! Thx in advance for any help!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

Mid June could be a bit early, all the roads may not open until July. And is the park open period? East side has more to do.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Best you hear it now. You will be told upon entering, and maybe several other times that you can't drive the 'Going to the Sun' road in much of any RV.

Max length is 21 feet, no trailers, max width 8 feet!

Take the shuttle, parking at the top is a b@#$%. See both sides if you have the time. Lot's to do!
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thx for that insight! What if I’m going directly to the Many Glacier Lodge on the East side of the park?
Old 06-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #5

Only crossing Logan Pass is hard. Look up some photos, narrow with cliffs up and down on each side. It's an amazing few miles of road!
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're really not in a hurry, I would not waste the experience of the Going to the Sun Highway driving it in a RV. Take your time. Spend a few nights in a CG on the West side, then take RT-2 around the south side of the park up to Browning, and then SR-464 up to St. Mary and stay a few more nights on the East side. They are two very different experiences, camping-wise; and you get to experience both sides of the NP without driving your tail off to see it all from one side or the other. If you are towing a car, use that to do the Going to the Sun Highway. Better yet, take a Red Bus Tour on the GTTS so you can totally focus on the sights, the then follow that up with our own explorations after. Glacier is an awesome experience if you allow it to be. Do your homework beforehand. Book one or more of the many Red Bus Tours. Whatever you do, don't rush the experience if you have the time to spend to do that. We were there last August, and it was great.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

Red Bus Tours are the best! As the normal driver, being able to enjoy the scenery is so much better when one is not in the driver's seat. Recommend the trip all the way to the other side and back. So much to see and weather permitting, the driver of the Red Bus will open the top. IF someone is cold natured, they offer blankets to cover up with.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

With the Covid-19 still looming, I don't think the tour bus will be running. But if so, I would think twice on going on one. International travel is going to be nil this summer. All the National Parks should have easy access.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
As of today, you can only drive as far as Lake McDonald Lodge (not far). Snow removal teams just reached Logan Pass and are clearing the giant drift. It will be weeks before it's open just for snow and avalanche reasons. No shuttle busses running this season. Add to all that, the park is only open till 4:30 pm every day.
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Agreed. We are staying on the West side this time. Red bus tours are canceled until mid/ end of July. We were going over to Waterton as well but canceled because of border issues. Fortunately this is our second trip there so we will just do other things. Staying in Columbia Falls this time. Gotta keep RVing...
dbob62180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #11

Be sure to study the park's web site for openings/closings at this time. It now states the east side is closed. Not a good time for this trip if it's your only destination.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/statusupdate.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrito View Post
Hi All! I'm headed to GNP from San Diego mid-June-ish and I'm seeking tips, insight from any that have made the drive towing a car, or parts of the drive even!

My fancy e-lec-tron-ic de-vice shows I should take I 15 for about 20+ hours...I'm not in a hurry, got time on my hands and plan on stopping to smell whatever I can along the way.

I'm open to almost any input/advice/help! Thx in advance for any help!!
As you have some time on your hands - might look at taking a good bit of it just getting there, as the Going to the Sun Road is - well being Plowed - https://www.flickr.com/photos/glacie...57713900310191 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/7067857851/ - Just go to the Glacier web page for up to the date info, as it is never the same.

Sorry, but if I were you I'd slide a little to the East across Utah to say Durango area and head North from there - would allow you to enjoy the Mountains the Desert the Mountains the Valley then finally Glacier NP with More Mountains. IMHO this trip should be all about making the Drive Interesting.

MAP of possible route - - Always make the trip as good as the destination - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=74ac9...=2&form=S00027 - With Glacier NP being the Destination, really need to weave a bit to get into that League, as Glacier is just Pretty Darn Great!

If that's not for you, well, that is the insight I'd give, as we have driven all these roads dragging a Toad and, will leave Monday to see if we Can See some of it again this Year.

No Reservations - with My two Sons and 5 Granddaughters - Trips are for Adventure - San Juan's are in the trip after Yellowstone so not likely going to see Glacier again this year, unless DW wants to go up as a close it out trip, - Think it may be hard to get her to Leave the San Juan's as it is just Heaven.

Hope this helps, Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #13

I haven't watched this, our trip plans do not include GNP this year, but it might be of help for you:

We subscribe to that channel on YouTube.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #14

East side of Glacier is *CLOSED* by order of the Blackfeet Nation due to Covid concerns. This closure includes Chief Mountain, Many Glacier, St Mary, Cutbank, and Two Medicine. There is no access to the park from the East side. You will still be able to access Logan Pass (when it opens, still closed due to snow). How far *past* Logan you can go, I'm not sure. It looks like maybe Rising Sun will be the farthest point.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2020/06/2...-glacier-park/
LPVagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote