Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

I can't even get started...

I watched some videos and like the features, but what I didn't realize is apparently this is not a trip planner. I've used lots of them and you tell them where you are starting from and where you are going TO. This one only asks where you are starting from and then the magic circle. On a long trip that is pretty useless... That means I have to already know where I am going. Every review I've watched is that way. This plans the DETAILS of the trip, but not the trip itself. Am I missing something? Or do I plan first in Good Sam or google and then, knowing my route already, plan the details with trip wizard?

Yes, I scanned the documentation...
judyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #2

No you can put in the starting point and a distant end point. And then go back and fill in the daily trips. I do it once in awhile. The circle is handy but not definitive since it is straight line distance and you will be on the roads which are rarely straight as a ruler. Still it is useful for daily planning. So yes it is a fairly good trip planner with some quirks that the developer is working out. You didn't expect it to, given the start and end, to fill in daily trips including picking out daily stops/campgrounds did you?
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

If you put in your start and stop points a route will be drawn based on your RV specifications. There is a sub option for the route of RV or std.

You put in your starting location when you set up the trip, after that you do a search for your final location via the search box, click on that and hover over the location, click on the box and add the stop. After that a route will appear.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

Any of the trip planners, and theres lots of them are only as good as the person or persons who wrote the code.
Instead for a long trip go buy a US atlas sit down and plot out your basic trip.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #5

What does the op mean by "not the trip itself"?
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #6

End point?

All it asked for was a start point... I've gone back to it and still don't see a place to put in an end point. Do I have to start over? And if I do, how do I put in an end point.

OK. Search on the next destination, then CLICK ON THE icon and set it. Got it!

I'm not sure our internet is good enough for this. For a while the navigation at the top (Trips, map, Research) were not there... We are blessed with DSL, and not very good DSL at that...
Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Watch this simple video.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #8

Video

Thanks for the video, but I understood all of that. I've seen several similar videos -- all planning short trips where they click on their destinations very close to the starting point. What I did not understand is how to go somewhere if it isn't within a reasonable distance of the starting point. I'm planning a quite long trip and want to plan the whole thing. Every other routing software I've used asks first from where and TO WHERE. This one does not. You have to search for it, then click on it, then choose more or something, then say make it the end point. I got it now, but it is not intuitive to me.

I also didn't find that information in the documentation. True I didn't read every word but I looked through sections that looked like they might be relevant...

But I got it now! Thanks very much!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The program is not intuitive by a long shot. It does take a lot of trial and error work. The information video and interface could stand a lot of work.

Just make some start and stops and see what happens.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #10

Ok

-Starting point chosen next line....
-End point even if it just a city or town to start
-.....route on the map is then drawn
-Use the distance circles if you want or just pick the next stop after the starting point. Check the reviews and use the research filters as required.
-Continue to add stops and stop as many days at each stop as required.
-Once you get to the final destination pick a campsite or your stop in the area if not already done so.

-Then go back and at the start look for rest areas and fuel stops along the way
Old 11-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you doing the trip on a computer, tablet, or phone? I have found that for me using a phone just doesn't work because of the lack of information that can be shown. I always use my laptop. That being said, when you first create the trip and click on "My Location" or "Start Here" the program then brings up the Initial Trip Settings screen. This downloads 4.75 mb. If you have a slow DSL it may not appear instantaneously. When you click on "Save trip Settings" the map and Trip info should come up. In the ribbon bar across the top is an entry box that says "Search for a location or park". This box works oddly. As you type in the information the drop down box will show suggestions. If you see what you want and click on it the entry box will not update, the drop box closes and if you click on the magnifying glass icon, the program will take you to a random location. You must type the entire name. A purple circle will show on the map at the location you searched for. Hover on this circle and a popup screen will open. Click on "MORE DETAILS". A new popup box will open. At the bottom of the screen is a drop down box saying "-The Last Stop-". This box allows you to add the location before or after any location already added to your trip. Since this is the first location being added just click on the "Add to Trip" button and the location will be added to the trip and the map will be updated showing your trip. Note that even though this is the first stop being added it can be your final destination no matter how far from your starting point. Now you can 'flesh out' your trip by using the circles for guides as to where you want to add stops. If you have "Show Parks" active it may take a while for the map to repaint as a bout 10 mb will be transmitted.

This is by no means a thorough getting started guide but hopefully it will help you. This really is a good planning program, but as is true of all programs, a long way from perfect. The developers seem pretty good at correcting and improving.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

If you double click on the drop down search box it works fine.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
If you double click on the drop down search box it works fine.
Thanks Sue. Since the box closes as soon as I click on my selection and doesn't update the entered text I didn't try double clicking. It seems to me that it used to remember the selection and search for it when I clicked on the search icon even though the text didn't update.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
RV LIFE Support Team

I have a tendency to double-click everything. Just a bad habit and mostly gets me in trouble, some times not.

RV LIFE Support Team