Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post

YES, THE IPHONE HAS A RESTART TOO!!!

To restart, do this:

- Tap Volume UP
- Tap Volume Down
- Press & Hold POWER button until screen goes black, AND THEN THE APPLE LOGO appears!

Nope, that brings up the Shutdown Slide on my iPhone XR. Still no restart. There is a Reset, like pulling the plug on your PC, but that is an abnormal shutdown. Something I would never do unless the phone is locked up. Especially if you are using apps that update data on the internet like RVTW and many other apps we all use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Nope, that brings up the Shutdown Slide on my iPhone XR. Still no restart. There is a Reset, like pulling the plug on your PC, but that is an abnormal shutdown. Something I would never do unless the phone is locked up. Especially if you are using apps that update data on the internet like RVTW and many other apps we all use.
Keep holding the power button.... The apple logo will appear and then restart.
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #17

Spartan Chassis
I’m ready to quit

Quote:

Not really. You hold the buttons down for a long time until the “forced restart”.

With all respect, you are incorrect about it being like pulling a plug. Not even close to the same thing. There is ZERO harm and it will go through the same procedure in the iOS as a shutdown. You being experienced in tech should know the difference in the non-volatile memory and OS code of an iPhone versus the Mac…or worse…PC OS; which are in a constant state of R/W to the disk. Not the case with iOS.

You’re looking for a “label” rather than trusting. Just because there’s no visible identification doesn’t mean the procedure doesn’t exist. Sorry I can give you more trust. Really trying to help you, as I have with everyone else.

Perhaps this will lend a bit more credence to what I’m instructing.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...h8903c3ee6/ios
2019 Dutch Star 4369
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Keep holding the power button.... The apple logo will appear and then restart.

That's the worst shutdown possible. I have support systems for a very long time. Last resort in my book, I prefer to do normal shutdowns where the file systems are closed if possible, I rarely want to pull the proverbial plug. Who knows if Apple uses journal-ed file systems. Probably not.

Restart is a normal shutdown, all apps are stopped and all the data and semaphores are written back to disk, prior to rebooting it.

-Bill
Old 07-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Not really. You hold the buttons down for a long time until the “forced restart”.

With all respect, you are incorrect about it being like pulling a plug. Not even close to the same thing. There is ZERO harm and it will go through the same procedure in the iOS as a shutdown. You being experienced in tech should know the difference in the non-volatile memory and OS code of an iPhone versus the Mac…or worse…PC OS; which are in a constant state of R/W to the disk. Not the case with iOS.

You’re looking for a “label” rather than trusting. Just because there’s no visible identification doesn’t mean the procedure doesn’t exist. Sorry I can give you more trust. Really trying to help you, as I have with everyone else.

Perhaps this will lend a bit more credence to what I’m instructing.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...h8903c3ee6/ios

Great article. But then again, when your iphone is already locked up what does it matter if you reset it. Not something you want to do when the phone is working and you just think its not behaving correctly. No where in that article did it say they do a normal shutdown of the system and write the buffers to disk. This is the last I will respond about this. Good Luck.

BTW. There is NO Restart button on an iPhone. Period.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #20

How Road Trippers?

I use Road Trippers and love it, it does work well with Google Maps as well. When planning, I expand the map, and in addition to the POI use google maps to find more interesting stuff. On average, I will plan about a week in planning a week worth of trip
afeiner13527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
IOS restart instructions from Apple
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

I'm posting this for the folks that have forgotten what a Restart Button looks like. Not a procedure to follow for an abnormal shutdown and restart. -Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RestartButton.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	336819  

Tags
rv trip wizard, trip wizard