Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #1

I’m ready to quit

To say RV Trip Wizard is NON intuitive is an understatement!
I’m not new to apps and software, I spent the 45 years in the automation trade, I know good software from NOT SO GOOD.
All software requires a learning curve I get that, but this software has me ready to try something else.
Right now, my biggest complaint is getting the voice GPS working.
Shouldn’t be right? I have two vehicle’s, one tow the other passenger car. Tow vehicle is RAM with Uconnect and Apple Car Play, the other is Acura also with Apple Car play.
I CAN NOT find or get simple instructions anywhere on how to accomplish.
All I want to do is build a trip on my iPad, THEN run the GPS app on an iPhone to get RV safe voice and turn by turn displayed on the vehicles display screens.
I have lost all patience with integrating the active trip with any GPS!!!
If anyone has suggestions, I’d like to try. To tell the truth I kind of like the Trip Wizard, took some getting to but I like the features.
tam b trippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
To be fair I’ve never used RV wizard for a gps and only for trip planning. For planning I really like it and it certainly meets our needs
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
Community Moderator

You need the RV Life app for turn by turn directions. It will connect with your trip wizard trip, and then you pick which destination you want.

Name:   Adjustments.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  11.7 KB
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

It sounds like your topic is RV Trip Wizard, which is a web-based planning tool. The GPS portion is in the RV LIFE GPS & Campgrounds mobile app, not RV Trip Wizard. Plenty of great videos out there if you are having trouble learning how to use RVTW. It is a sophisticated and very complete tool, so it does take a little time to learn it all. The videos will help immensely. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...pHjlqyZC0WRZdg
Old 07-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

After you download the app and signin.

Plug your phone into your vehicle that has CarPlay, the RVL app will be listed on the CarPlay screen.

Rather than get frustrated RVTW and RVL have a very responsive Help Desk.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #6

I’m ready to quit RV trip Wizard

Yes. What you are complaining about is RV LIFE APP, NOT the web-based planning tool at RVTRIPWIZARD.com

RVTW is fantastic and there is nothing better out there for planning a trip.

However, it’s common knowledge that the companion app RV LIFE is severely lacking in the powerful features of a GARMIN standalone GPS.

That said, I can confirm that Voice prompts AND CarPlay are working just fine as of the last couple revisions. I just tested mine last week.

For help, I can tell you the 100% of the time that ANY app’s audio stops working, it’s been the CarPlay connection and has nothing to do with the app. You can force quit and retry all you want, BUT the fix is always RESTARTING the iPhone.

As far as your complaint on the “interface” of the RVLife app, other than it being anemic in terms of features, the interface is awfully simple. The two things people mess up are:
1. Not selecting RV FRIENDLY GPS guidance, which requires a Pro subscription.
2. Not physically selecting the NEXT waypoint of your trip. RVL will not simply direct you to each stop even though you’ve selected the final destination. That’s a design feature that I’d imagine will be changed once people give feedback.

So, please reach out using the Tech Support of RVL or RVTW…they are among THE MOST responsive developers I’ve come across in my 37 of software usage.

HTH
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:18 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Hang in there tam b trippn, I feel your pain. I quit too once and came running back, for me it was a financial and support decision. When comparing standalone systems to RVTW/RVLIFE, it was my opinion the annual fees are acceptable, I did not want another device to keep up with and the supporters of this forum are second to none.
My biggest learning curve was understanding that your in two different applications planning and actually using it.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #8

First I'd like to thank all who responded. I'm taking a big breath.
I have NO issues with RVtrip Wizard.......
IT's RVlife and the GPS (voice and live turn by turn)
And YES I have viewed the videos and read the user manual provided.

MY ISSUE IS WITH THE MOBILE APP AND DISPLAYING it ON MY VEHICAL'S SCREEN.

Like I typed before, one is RAM (Uconnect and Car Play) the other is Acura using Car Play
tam b trippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam b trippn View Post
First I'd like to thank all who responded. I'm taking a big breath.
I have NO issues with RVtrip Wizard.......
IT's RVlife and the GPS (voice and live turn by turn)
And YES I have viewed the videos and read the user manual provided.

MY ISSUE IS WITH THE MOBILE APP AND DISPLAYING it ON MY VEHICAL'S SCREEN.

Like I typed before, one is RAM (Uconnect and Car Play) the other is Acura using Car Play

Have you checked your CARPLAY Settings on your iPhone??? Each vehicle carries independent configuration and the RV LIFE APP is NOT enabled by default.

In case you don’t know…the CarPlay settings are under Settings:General:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	335221
Old 07-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Have you checked your CARPLAY Settings on your iPhone??? Each vehicle carries independent configuration and the RV LIFE APP is NOT enabled by default. In case you don’t know…the CarPlay settings are under Settings:General:
Good Call. Personally I moved to the iPhone a couple years back and trouble-free connectivity is NOT its strong suit. My android tablets and phones just worked no matter what I try. Rebooting my iPhone fixes many issues, so I do it at least weekly if not more. And of course Apple doesn't have a "restart" option like Android has for at least 5+ years, which I rarely had to use. I am not sure why I am still drinking the Apple Koolaid. Recently I had my iPhone make seven (7) butt dial calls while in my pocket and locked. 4 to one person, and three, to three other random folks in my recent call list. Still un-explainable! I've supported and managed Networks and Systems since the mid 80's. Where my last role for 10 grueling years was supporting/managing eCommerce systems for all of North and South America with a huge multinational corp. -Bill

PS. I only use the RVlife GPS feature to see where it will take me prior to setting up my google maps GPS with way-points to force it to go the way I want to go. When traveling in my motorhome saving a few minutes by going do some crazy narrow lane is nuts. Or for that matter the odd turns only to see a U Turn next...
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #11

Glad it helped.

Not that it will make you feel better, but every person I’ve helped that’s had troubles with iPhone after Android has been from a lack of learning the other system.

I can make arguments for iPhone that have won over the most stern. It’s interring how the friends that use androids, are usually lost when it comes to the magic things I can do on iOS devices.

That said, for example, iPhones have always had a “reboot” feature.

Since the power button activates the Lock on a short press, or Siri on a long press, the method to make the iPhone restart is to hold the Volume-Down and Power button simultaneously.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Glad it helped.

Since the power button activates the Lock on a short press, or Siri on a long press, the method to make the iPhone restart is to hold the Volume-Down and Power button simultaneously.

LOL. I'm not a novice at either. And your restart is actually a shutdown. iPhone doesn't have a restart that I can find. I even called support as I couldn't believe they didn't have it. I was told it wasn't needed. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
LOL. I'm not a novice at either. And your restart is actually a shutdown. iPhone doesn't have a restart that I can find. I even called support as I couldn't believe they didn't have it. I was told it wasn't needed. -Bill
Well, guess what? Even experts can learn something new everyday!
This may come off wrong, but what the heck...won't be the first time.

I usually have to teach Apple TS Level 1 & 2 a few things. Normall, I have a "special" section that I can get referred to...perhaps a "Oh, this guy again" section.

But, let me help you...and the rookies at Apple;

YES, THE IPHONE HAS A RESTART TOO!!!

To restart, do this:

- Tap Volume UP
- Tap Volume Down
- Press & Hold POWER button until screen goes black, AND THEN THE APPLE LOGO appears!

NOTE: If you use the Shutdown procedure and hold it, this activates the EMERGENCY CALL feature...which is another awesome feature which you can do from your pocket or purse.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam b trippn View Post
To say RV Trip Wizard is NON intuitive is an understatement!
I’m not new to apps and software, I spent the 45 years in the automation trade, I know good software from NOT SO GOOD.
All software requires a learning curve I get that, but this software has me ready to try something else.
Right now, my biggest complaint is getting the voice GPS working.
Shouldn’t be right? I have two vehicle’s, one tow the other passenger car. Tow vehicle is RAM with Uconnect and Apple Car Play, the other is Acura also with Apple Car play.
I CAN NOT find or get simple instructions anywhere on how to accomplish.
All I want to do is build a trip on my iPad, THEN run the GPS app on an iPhone to get RV safe voice and turn by turn displayed on the vehicles display screens.
I have lost all patience with integrating the active trip with any GPS!!!
If anyone has suggestions, I’d like to try. To tell the truth I kind of like the Trip Wizard, took some getting to but I like the features.
I hear you on this app. I can only use it for route planning (campsites, fuel stops and safe roads). You can't export to a Garmin RV GPS which means entering it manually. It needs work and when my year is up I will not renew.
RandyRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv trip wizard, trip wizard