Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
In the RV Life app why are there different maps?

I have not used the RV Life app before - this will be my first trip using it.
I have a question about the Maps selection.

In Settings, under Navigation, there are three Map choices (RV Life Maps, Apple Maps, and Google Maps). BTW - I 'm using an apple iPhone if that matters.

Is there anything I should know about these regarding which to select and how they work?

Does the Map choice affect the routing or guidance in any way?

I just use Google Maps?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

If you use Google or Apple Maps you will not have RV Safe Routing, you will have Auto routing.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Always choose the RV LIFE map for RV safe routing.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #4

I believe you’re asking to why there are 3, not which one to use.

That section you see, is to select a preference as to which mapping service RV LIFE will “launch” when you navigate to your next destination.

For example, since you like using Google Maps then you could select that as your presence. However, as already mentioned, I’m sure you are aware that neither Google nor Apple Maps provide accurate “RV” routing. Therefore, you should use the RV LIFE GPS mapping which takes the pro subscription.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. That is important to know - the app should say "only RV Life Maps provides safe RV routing".

I will be using the app for "in route" directions - but I already have the mapping done in RVTW.

So if I choose Apple of Google maps in the App it will ignore the planning/route I set up in RVTW?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

When you select other maps a warning is posted:

"Other map apps are designed for automobile routing and may not provide RV Friendly directions"

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Thanks. That is important to know - the app should say "only RV Life Maps provides safe RV routing".

I will be using the app for "in route" directions - but I already have the mapping done in RVTW.

So if I choose Apple of Google maps in the App it will ignore the planning/route I set up in RVTW?

It DOES warn you.

Many folks misunderstand how RVTW Planned Trips are navigated within the RVL app…
When you use RVL to navigate, you will be selecting YOUR NEXT STOP/WAYPOINT. So, this location will be PUSHED to the mapping of your choice.

Again, you will be routed to that next point using whichever routing engine you chose; whether it’s the RV safe RVL, or Apple/Google which chose standard routing.

FYI: all of the above is pretty well explained in their online Help and Documentation.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote