Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #1
NXR

"Info for your trip" emails still coming late sometimes but I may now know why

Back in April I started a thread on this subject but I may now know why it's happening: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/rvt...te-576726.html

TL;DR version:
Stops at the beginning of the trip where I manually changed their "start" date did get updated in both the web app and the RV Life app but the stops that had their dates automatically updated by the RVTW software did not get their dates updated in the RV Life app. But the dates did update correctly in the web app.

It appears to me that when the RVTW software automatically updates a stop's arrival date that the date change is not being sent to other parts of the server software, and that includes the software that sends those emails. But the date change is sent properly when the date is manually updated by the customer.

Long version:
After I created the trip we're currently on I modified the itinerary to add a few days at the beginning and to shift the December arrival date from Dec. 5 to Dec. 1.

What's happening is that the original stops show their revised date in the web app but not in the RV Life app and the emails are still arriving according to the original itinerary.

This problem actually is why I do not use the RV Life app on Android; when I revise a trip in the web app the revised itinerary does not show up in the RV Life app. On a support post here or a call (can't remember which) I was asked to uninstall and reinstall the RV Life app and see if the new itinerary showed up. Yes it did but I soon grew tired of doing that and never use the RV Life app anymore.

The one pic shows the original itinerary as it displays in the RV Life app as of today (a screenshot) but this trip has not been modified for three or more weeks.

The pic file names tell what they are: the RV Life app on Android screenshot today, the delayed Fair Harbor email, the delayed Casey Jones email, and the current itinerary from the web app today.

In other words, it appears that the "Info for your trip" emails are being sent by server software that also supplies the RV Life app with its "Trips" data and that date changes automatically made on the web app are not automatically synced to the software that the RV Life app uses and that also appears to send the emails. (I used to be a developer so I may have made a mistake or two like this in the distant past. )

I expect that on Dec. 4th I will get the "Info for your trip" email to where we currently are located but where we originally were not going to arrive until Dec. 5th.

Hope this makes sense.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Life app screenshot today - shows original itinerary.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	381938   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVTW Delayed Email to Fair Harbor.PNG
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	381939  

Name:	RVTW Delayed Email to Casey Jones.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	381940   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVTW Final Itinerary.PNG
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	381941  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

Your trip needs to be refreshed. It is not refreshed when you make a change to RV LIFE Trip Wizard. Please logoff/logon to the App. Also, confirm you are on the latest release, version 3.5.1

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46
Your trip needs to be refreshed. It is not refreshed when you make a change to RV LIFE Trip Wizard. Please logoff/logon to the App.
Ummm, if that statement was accurate then the date changes I made manually also would not be updated in the RV Life app yet they are.

It also does not explain why the "Info" emails are following the original itinerary and not the revised itinerary. That's solely server-side code.

No, a sign-out/sign-in does not update the trip dates.

Neither does a "pull down to refresh" nor does deleting the RV Life app's cache.

Nor does a sign-out and a sign-in after deleting the app cache cause the automatically-changed dates to show up. And yes, I did get the spinning circle update progress indicator for several seconds after doing that.

Quote:
Also, confirm you are on the latest release, version 3.5.1
Yes, 3.5.1

As an aside, whatever developer or manager thinks that it's acceptable for an app to display outdated information while also caching the sign-in needs to be retired out, if that process worked.

That attitude has been unacceptable for over a decade. And yes, I do know you're a volunteer (or I think you are) and cannot do a thing about that personnel problem.

But I am hoping you pass this post, at least the TL;DR part, on to the developer team. A good developer would read that write-up and know instantly where to look in the code to see if what I think is happening actually is happening.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Ray
Old 12-02-2022, 08:24 PM   #4

PM me your email and trip name please.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Done and thanks for the follow-up.

And if you folks find this in fact is an ID10T error, please feel free to note that here in whatever phrasing you believe I deserve, you know, the way you would refer to me offline. I shall then thank you for your eloquent smackdown because I'll deserve it.

Ray
Old 12-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
I received your PM about deleting the Harvest Moon stop, the first one that had its arrival date automatically changed, then re-adding Harvest Moon, and the problem being fixed.

Unfortunately that is not what I see. Since I cannot attach pics to a PM on iRV2 I'm posting them here.

- The RV Life app on my Android phone now displays that the trip was updated yesterday at the top (without me logging out and back in) but the dates that were updated in the web app still are un-updated in RV Life.

- After I got your PM last night I remembered I also had RV Life on my iPad. Like my Android phone, RV Life on the iPad also shows the trip was updated yesterday but the dates that were updated in the web app still are un-updated in RV Life, just like on Android.

- As expected, overnight I received an email about our arrival tomorrow at the place we arrived on the 1st.

- I just noticed the web app "Email me my itinerary" function so I used it. The itinerary dates emailed to me from the web app interface are the correct, revised dates.

In summary, both the Android and Apple versions of the RV Life app now show an update was done yesterday but neither the dates displayed in the apps or the email being sent have been updated. All three are still following the original, unchanged itinerary.

So the data source used for the web app is working as expected but changes made to the web app that automatically recalculate the arrival dates and sends that data to RV Life and the emails are not being updated anywhere except within the web app.

This almost certainly is a server-side code problem because the data sources for the two interfaces, the web app and the RV Life app/"Info" emails, are not in sync and there is no code that tests to assure the data sources are in sync or that code is present but not working correctly.

If this was a local problem (on my devices) then the RV Life app data would be incorrect but the "Info" emails would be sent on the correct dates but the emails are also being sent on the wrong dates.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Android.PNG
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	382071   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	382072  

Name:	Email.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	382074   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVTW Web App - Correct Dates.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	382075  

Old 12-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #7

Please send a ticket into the help desk as this is easier to deal with there. Address it to me, Sue, and send it to tripwizard@rvlife.com

Before doing this delete the app and download it again, maybe a bad copy.

You are also the only person reporting this problem so it is difficult to troubleshoot.

RV LIFE Support Team