RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #1

Information Only Stops

Hello, Here I am new to the forum, and already asking for stuff

I would like to add "Information Only" stops to my trips. I invariably need to include potential stops or other items that I do not want to contribute to mileage, directions, costs, etc. Here are a few examples from my current trip.

1. I have several "Plan B" stops in case primary plans get altered. I want to include these along with all of the associated info, but I do not want the trip to route, calc nights, costs, etc. In some cases, I actually have reservations which I would cancel according to their policy when I get closer to that stop.

2. I have a few potential POIs along the trip that are diversions from the main route. They are "nice if you can work it in" stops, so I do want to preserve all of the research done, but again, I want to make them active stops when I know they will happen.

3. I changed plans for a stop and cancelled well in advance. I wanted to keep all the info including the cancellation in the stop but "archive" it.

If there was a way to include a checkbox on any stop making it info-only, or exclude from trip routing and calculations, that would be ideal. If I am simply missing how to do this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

I love the idea.
I'd use it for fun things to do along the way; Museums, viewpoints, day use only parks...
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
I love the idea.
I'd use it for fun things to do along the way; Museums, viewpoints, day use only parks...
Exactly ! Although I was hoping I was just missing the setting somewhere.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawudd View Post
Hello, Here I am new to the forum, and already asking for stuff

I would like to add "Information Only" stops to my trips. I invariably need to include potential stops or other items that I do not want to contribute to mileage, directions, costs, etc. Here are a few examples from my current trip.

1. I have several "Plan B" stops in case primary plans get altered. I want to include these along with all of the associated info, but I do not want the trip to route, calc nights, costs, etc. In some cases, I actually have reservations which I would cancel according to their policy when I get closer to that stop.

2. I have a few potential POIs along the trip that are diversions from the main route. They are "nice if you can work it in" stops, so I do want to preserve all of the research done, but again, I want to make them active stops when I know they will happen.

3. I changed plans for a stop and cancelled well in advance. I wanted to keep all the info including the cancellation in the stop but "archive" it.

If there was a way to include a checkbox on any stop making it info-only, or exclude from trip routing and calculations, that would be ideal. If I am simply missing how to do this, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
First, I'll say that I'm just a RVTW user only, and not an expert or member of the RVTW Team. I also make and take individual extended trips vs. full timing. So, take my comments for what their worth to you.

Until your last sentence, I thought you understood that none of what you are suggesting is currently doable in RVTW other than to put those "off-plan" potential stops/POI's into your comments boxes to pull them out when you want them included in your firm plan. Or, conversely, if you have planned stops that you then cancel, you can also capture their info in comments boxes related to their specific travel legs for posterity. Similarly, all of your firm/potential trip planning can be captured and manipulated in Excel files of your trip plan. Stops/POI's are either in your trip plan or not, and routing/cost estimation (not actual cost) is solely a function of the number and order of those stops, the nights of your stays, and the cost estimates you’ve established in your Default & Trip Settings. There is not a secondary data file to move potential/cancelled stops back and forth to/from your active plan. You either add the data as a new stop, or delete and existing stop from the plan.

When I plan my trips, I put in everything I can possibly think for the trip, and if a day's travels just won't allow one of the stops, I just skip it, but don't remove it from my plan. I always keep the original plan for posterity as an archived trip. It's not so important to me that my filed away final trip version be exactly as we did it. There's really no utility to me for that level of detail.

Possibly, down the road, RVTW will give you some functionality to capture trip actuals, or to manipulate on the fly what your plan is. Personally, I don't want that complexity encumbering a good planning tool as it is now.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #5

Another use/issue is for things to do while at a campground.
IE, stay 6 nights at a campground, but visit other sites in the area. Do I break my stay into 6 individual stops, capturing the details of every day? Do I lump them all at the end? Such secondary stops are often a low priority, so we'll wait until the day to decide what to do. Are we tired? Too much or too little sun? ETC!
Old 10-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
Another use/issue is for things to do while at a campground.
IE, stay 6 nights at a campground, but visit other sites in the area. Do I break my stay into 6 individual stops, capturing the details of every day? Do I lump them all at the end? Such secondary stops are often a low priority, so we'll wait until the day to decide what to do. Are we tired? Too much or too little sun? ETC!
If you have a multiple night stay at a location that you will be seeing multiple attractions/POI's from, split your single CG entry into two entries. For instance, make your 6-night single entry into an initial 1-night and second 5-night entry. In between those two, add all your attractions/POI's in between as 0-night entries. That way you don't affect the overall length (in days) of your trip, and you capture all your side trips. Just be aware that all your side trip miles will be added to the total for your total trip. Just a thought...
Old 10-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
First, I'll say that I'm just a RVTW user only, and not an expert or member of the RVTW Team. I also make and take individual extended trips vs. full timing. So, take my comments for what their worth to you.

Until your last sentence, I thought you understood that none of what you are suggesting is currently doable in RVTW other than to put those "off-plan" potential stops/POI's into your comments boxes to pull them out when you want them included in your firm plan. Or, conversely, if you have planned stops that you then cancel, you can also capture their info in comments boxes related to their specific travel legs for posterity. Similarly, all of your firm/potential trip planning can be captured and manipulated in Excel files of your trip plan. Stops/POI's are either in your trip plan or not, and routing/cost estimation (not actual cost) is solely a function of the number and order of those stops, the nights of your stays, and the cost estimates youíve established in your Default & Trip Settings. There is not a secondary data file to move potential/cancelled stops back and forth to/from your active plan. You either add the data as a new stop, or delete and existing stop from the plan.

When I plan my trips, I put in everything I can possibly think for the trip, and if a day's travels just won't allow one of the stops, I just skip it, but don't remove it from my plan. I always keep the original plan for posterity as an archived trip. It's not so important to me that my filed away final trip version be exactly as we did it. There's really no utility to me for that level of detail.

Possibly, down the road, RVTW will give you some functionality to capture trip actuals, or to manipulate on the fly what your plan is. Personally, I don't want that complexity encumbering a good planning tool as it is now.
Mike, I appreciate the response. What I am looking for (and it now seems does not exist), is an option that would have zero impact on those who do not choose to use it. I simply want the option to exclude a stop from any/all calculations. I already have the option to make a stop zero nights,, but it still alters the route, computes fuel, adjusts the radius, etc. I will li e with things as they are, but I think it would add value. Thanks
Old 10-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #8

Thinking a bit more about this, I realize I have 2 modes of travel. With my trailer I'm an RV over 45', 17,000lbs, using 1/10 gal per mile. Without it those numbers are halved! The relative freedom is considerable but I drive the same roads with the same people, mostly.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawudd View Post
Mike, I appreciate the response. What I am looking for (and it now seems does not exist), is an option that would have zero impact on those who do not choose to use it. I simply want the option to exclude a stop from any/all calculations. I already have the option to make a stop zero nights,, but it still alters the route, computes fuel, adjusts the radius, etc. I will li e with things as they are, but I think it would add value. Thanks
I think you're being overly pollyannaish to believe that it would be zero impact to incorporate the programming necessary to handle all the possible combinations and levels of choices associated with what you want this trip planning software to do for you as a convenience. Computationally, everything currently is purposefully an estimate, even the mileage. I personally don't want RVTW to be an expense tracking program. I already get all of that expense data to the penny separately, whether I want it or not, from credit card and other services. With that data in combination with existing financial tracking/planning software I already use, I know to the penny what I spend for every trip. I suspect you track your own expense data similarly. Separately, I track individual gas expenses, mpg, and other associated expenses already for MH and toad at the point of sale using well developed phone apps and wouldn't want to have to deal with putting actuals after the fact into RVTW for each stop. And while I have an idea of what I might want to explore enroute to or from any given home base, we always add/subtract from those on the fly based on Visitor Center info, local recommendations, etc. If I think about it, I'll capture some of those in the Comment Boxes, or if the additions are significant enough, I'll add them as new stops in the overall plan. But for me there's little value in forcing RVTW to perform unique calculations for those off route/plan locations just to show them as zero impact diversions from plan.

In summary, my overall point is that I personally don't want to clutter this RVTW program with requirements that aren't central to its primary purpose. It's continually being enhanced with new data and programming improvements in that regard; but, even in its primary form, it’s still a handful for the programmers to get it to do everything the way it's intended. I'd rather their focus remain on that target and not clutter it up with other functionality that doesn't serve that primary purpose.