Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #1

Is there a way to make a copy of a trip plan that someone sent me a link to?

A friend sent me a link to a trip he got from a group he was going to travel with to Alaska. I am trying to figure out how to make a copy to add to my RVTW account in case they delete it. I need it for reference to see if we can meet up along our routes to Alaska this summer.

I have always been able to do this with RVParky. So I am a bit perplexed I cannot figure out why I can find a way to do that.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #2

Is the original in a Trip Wizard Account?

If so the person should be able to use Share Trip option under the
Trip Tools
Share Trip
Share with Another Trip User Wizard

That says it will put a copy of the trip into your Tentative Trips list

===================

I've been looking at transport ability between various trip planners for about ten years now.

Getting into the details behind the planners, I found a commonality between almost of all of them.

The "Trip" is just a group of waypoints. It is not a group of routes.

Once the series of waypoints is put into a planner, the individual planner routing engine adds the routes to take.

Which is why RV Trip Planner, RVParky, Microsoft Streets and Trips, a Rand McNally RV GPS, or a Garmin GPS can show a different route between the same start and same destination.

S&T does not have a vehicle profile, where the others do.

But the difference is how each software, and others like Google Maps uses vehicle information.

I started playing with this when I would export a GPX file from S&T to put inside my GPS. And manages to figure out how to save a GPX file and extract it from the GPS.

The same simple route changed on different devices quite often. I started playing with efficient routes through the city and suburbs of Dallas.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:13 AM   #3
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If they sent you a link via Visitor View, there's nothing you can do with it but view it.
Have them instead choose "Share this trip with another Trip Wizard user", and give them the email address you use for Trip Wizard. This will drop the fully functional trip into your Tentative library, where you can keep it, copy it, alter it..etc.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldFat View Post
Is the original in a Trip Wizard Account?
If so the person should be able to use Share Trip option under the Trip Tools
Share Trip Share with Another Trip User Wizard That says it will put a copy of the trip into your Tentative Trips list
Unfortunately I don't know these folks and my friend who does, uses RVP not RVTW.

And if I did know them, I would just ask for a new link if they deleted the route I had.

So, my guess is in all your experimentation, there is no way to export the trip I have so I can import it to mine?

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
Old 12-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
If they sent you a link via Visitor View, there's nothing you can do with it but view it. Have them instead choose "Share this trip with another Trip Wizard user", and give them the email address you use for Trip Wizard. This will drop the fully functional trip into your Tentative library, where you can keep it, copy it, alter it..etc.

Oh well, that's currently not an option.