Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #1

Is Trip Wizard still the best option?

We are considering upgrading to a better trip planner (RV Trip Wizard), but have only seen some online reviews, youtube's etc for comments. Is this still considered the best of the bunch for long trip planning and does it really provide all the needed information for motorhome travel? One of the things I would like to know is does this program give you adequate data for fuel stops and if the station is adequate for MH's? So far, I have only seen Flying J / Pilot provide this data.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizzard

I have been using this program for three years and have looked at some others, I am staying here because it has a good platform and I find most of my travel plans with it. I feel safe because it knows my RV and my Toad, I don't get into trouble.
wrsleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:34 AM   #3

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We are considering upgrading to a better trip planner (RV Trip Wizard), but have only seen some online reviews, youtube's etc for comments. Is this still considered the best of the bunch for long trip planning and does it really provide all the needed information for motorhome travel? One of the things I would like to know is does this program give you adequate data for fuel stops and if the station is adequate for MH's? So far, I have only seen Flying J / Pilot provide this data.
I am still in the learning curve with RV Trip Wizard and how it integrates with RV Life, I think some folks are still having issues as well. For my money IMHO it is a top shelf planner and guidance platform. You set up your RV profile, height, length and type, you can also choose an option for passenger vehicle routing.
There is a driving radius feature which can be predetermined by the user, I use that to determine my fuel stops. Select what company (Pilot,TA,Wal-Mart or local) from a menu and search POI. Bring up the Gas Buddy app. and shop for best price. There is an off line feature for when a cell signal or GPS gets spotty. Once you figure how Trip Wizard and RV Life work you’ll like it.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:00 AM   #4
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There is nothing else out there that does everything that RV Trip Wizard does. As for additional fuel locations, in addition to the big truck chains, just choose "Misc Gas Stations" from the POI menu to see the all those smaller locations.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:22 PM   #5

Thanks for all the positive replies. Looks like I’ll be getting RBI’s softwares for our upcoming 9 state trip.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #6

I had the same question, so I test drove the Trip Wizard app. I test planned a trip out of our neighborhood over to our one of our favorite spots and Trip Wizard took us through a private neighborhood that was not even open to through traffic and there is no way a 30ft RV with a toad can fit through. We tested another route and came across a similar issue. Am I wrong? I really do want an app that can help me plan trips. Any thoughts?
EcoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTraveler View Post
I had the same question, so I test drove the Trip Wizard app. I test planned a trip out of our neighborhood over to our one of our favorite spots and Trip Wizard took us through a private neighborhood that was not even open to through traffic and there is no way a 30ft RV with a toad can fit through. We tested another route and came across a similar issue. Am I wrong? I really do want an app that can help me plan trips. Any thoughts?

The trip wizard GPS app on a phone is separate from the trip wizard website for trip planning. We use the trip wizard for “planning”, and then just plug-in the address for next stop into our Garmin RV GPS. It’s the planning of where you want to go that takes the most time and effort, and where RV Trip Wizard shines…… turn by turn directions is best handled by Garmin.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The trip wizard GPS app on a phone is separate from the trip wizard website for trip planning. We use the trip wizard for “planning”, and then just plug-in the address for next stop into our Garmin RV GPS. It’s the planning of where you want to go that takes the most time and effort, and where RV Trip Wizard shines…… turn by turn directions is best handled by Garmin.
The Website boasts the ability to "customize RV safe routes to the height and weight" of my RV and that is what i wanted to test out. I should probably run another test to see if it can recommend "RV safe" road/highway routes in terms grade, road curves, and height limits - as opposed to discounting it altogether based on its performance on neighborhood routes.
EcoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Been using it for 1.5 years and will continue. It is not perfect so do not trust it as your only source of information. I have learned when going to an unfamiliar destination to do 2 things:

1. Double check your final destination with google maps on satellite. Verify the final destination shows RVs. On one occasion the State Park was in the wrong location and we had to back track 10 miles to go from a State Park Boat Ramp to the actual camp site.

2. If you are going through tough and questionable terrain (i.e. Mountains) find out from your destination the best routes to get in and out. On one occasion we were going to an RV Resort in North Carolina and the resort had clear directions to get in that conflicted with RV trip wizard.

In both situation I sent an email to RV Trip Wizard and they responded immediately with a positive "we will fix this" attitude.

On gas, I like the icon that you get that shows a gas stop required when you hit your preset reserve. In our case it is 1/4 tank. Based on our size we only use truck stops. I am ok not getting the cheapest gas in order to guarantee we are in and out without a problem.

Lastly, it takes some time to get use to the travel times. I have found that using a fixed average speed of 55 mph works well for long highway drives. But when going through mountain roads it is best to use the Wizard speeds. Hard to explain in a brief post but takes a little experimenting to get a good read on drive time.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTraveler View Post
The Website boasts the ability to "customize RV safe routes to the height and weight" of my RV and that is what i wanted to test out. I should probably run another test to see if it can recommend "RV safe" road/highway routes in terms grade, road curves, and height limits - as opposed to discounting it altogether based on its performance on neighborhood routes.

Have you setup your RV parameters (height, weight,etc) into the website?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Can you download the app to your phone and IPad then plan on a PC all for one price?
Old 12-07-2021, 03:19 AM   #12
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The home page lays it out fairly clearly: https://rvlife.com/
Plan on a computer or table with RV Trip Wizard first, navigate the trip you have planned (and vetted) with the app.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

I do this as well.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
After all the recommendations on irv2, I purchased RV Trip Wizard / RV LIFE Pro. It is a great tool and will make our trip planning much easier it was well worth the $$. Thanks to all taking time to help make our shared hobby better. Great tip!!!

Tags
trip wizard