Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Just completed a long trip

I just completed a long trip, for which I used Trip Wizard to plan...82 days and 7,500 miles. Every stop was planned using trip Wizard and downloaded to my Rand McNally navigation system multiple times. All without a hitch... And to be sure, my plans and route changed numerous times, during the 3 months on the road.

While I have previously used the fuel stops feature, I did not use that feature on this trip, as I like to plan my fuel stops myself, based upon mileage and planned overnight stops and fueling stations. However, if used properly, the fuel stops will function as advertised.

I did export the route plan to my calendar, for the first time. I like that function, as it's easier to glance at the calendar than to pull up Trip Wizard to determine where I'll be in another week. I found the travel times to be fairly accurate, if you drag the start time to the proper time. From a practical perspective, it's easier for me to drag the start time to another time, than to input the start times into each planned stop.

The only real issue I have with Trip Wizard, is the "Pinned Date" issue. I did have a few hard-coded stops (Rally's) where the dates were not flexible and I had other reservations that were not flexible. For those, it would have been advantageous to be able to pin those dates in the stop. But, there are some advantages to having the software calculate the dates for you. Like readily knowing that you have to spend 3 extra days somewhere to arrive at your reserved destination on the proper date... So, if changed, I hope it's an optional change that can be turned on or off.

So finally, Trip Wizard is a good planning tool; it is NOT a navigation system and cannot route you around low underpasses or roads you shouldn't be on. Your navigation system will have to handle those tasks. For planning purposes, I drag the route to where I want to go or to avoid something, but my navigation system will do whatever it's gonna do, unless I use waypoints to lock in the route.

Sorry for the long post....just wanted to relay my recent experience with Trip Wizard...
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

RVTW is usually the only planning tool I use, it's great.
Concerning the date pinning issue, the developers are aware of it. This was posted a few weeks ago:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/feat...ps-375252.html
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote