Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

New RV Trip Wizard Features

Here's a video on the new RV Trip Wizard features that should arrive today. Several other videos on the YouTube channel, including the new Speed Training series. New videos added as exciting features arrive.

New Features

RV Trip Wizard YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...pHjlqyZC0WRZdg
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #2

The RV Safe Routing had me take some unreal detours along US 287 going to Colorado.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #3

Changed my height setting from 13' 2" to 13' 1" and the weird routing went away in RV Safe Routing
Old 06-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTallGuy View Post
Changed my height setting from 13' 2" to 13' 1" and the weird routing went away in RV Safe Routing
TexanTallGuy - what you are seeing is that RVTW is routing you around a low clearance. There is probably a 13'2" low clearance along that route. So, RVTW is auto-routing you around the low clearance. When you put 13' 1", it routes you through the normal direction.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

Oof. All sorts of weirdness happening with this update.

Check out this before and after, selecting safe route. 13.5' 42' 5th wheel:

Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #6

Coeur d Alene to Seattle. The new version, set for RV Friendly, routed me on big a south loop for a total 485 miles instead of keeping me on I-90 for the entire trip like the standard routing did. That way is 385 miles. If I-90 runs through both cities why not keep me on it. No propane or any other filters.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
TexanTallGuy - what you are seeing is that RVTW is routing you around a low clearance. There is probably a 13'2" low clearance along that route. So, RVTW is auto-routing you around the low clearance. When you put 13' 1", it routes you through the normal direction.
According to the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, the lowest clearance on US 287 from Fort Worth to Amarillo is 13' 8".
Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #8

I applaud the RV Trip Wizard team for their ongoing efforts to improve the program, however, I think maybe today’s update was released a bit prematurely and without adequate testing. It certainly seems that there are significant flaws in the RV-safe routing built into this version.

The good news is that the RVTW support team monitors this forum. I’m sure they’ll have the developers take a closer look at the new code.

I’ve attached two images to this post to serve as examples of obvious routing discrepancies. I have several more, but these two alone will make my point. I tried changing a couple parameters, one at a time, to see if it would change the route. I artificially lowered the height of my RV and then I removed the propane. No joy. Then I changed my trip from RV-safe routing to standard routing, and Trip Wizard redrew the route just as it was before today’s update.

Check out these two maps. I don't believe for a minute that there is a legitimate reason to avoid the interstate highways as depicted in these two examples. I do believe the RVTW team is already working on a fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KC-STL.png
Views:	59
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	251053   Click image for larger version

Name:	NC-SC.png
Views:	46
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	251054  

Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I applaud the RV Trip Wizard team for their ongoing efforts to improve the program, however, I think maybe today’s update was released a bit prematurely and without adequate testing. It certainly seems that there are significant flaws in the RV-safe routing built into this version.

The good news is that the RVTW support team monitors this forum. I’m sure they’ll have the developers take a closer look at the new code.

I’ve attached two images to this post to serve as examples of obvious routing discrepancies. I have several more, but these two alone will make my point. I tried changing a couple parameters, one at a time, to see if it would change the route. I artificially lowered the height of my RV and then I removed the propane. No joy. Then I changed my trip from RV-safe routing to standard routing, and Trip Wizard redrew the route just as it was before today’s update.

Check out these two maps. I don't believe for a minute that there is a legitimate reason to avoid the interstate highways as depicted in these two examples. I do believe the RVTW team is already working on a fix.

They seem to have their hazard tolerances set way too low. If I recall correctly, that section of I95 has "low bridges", some under 14', but there is a height detector alongside the highway that will alert you to take the detour. My 13.5' 5er never set off the detectors.

Gotta say that I'm spooked. Now I don't know if the "standard" setting is accounting for any of my rig's dimensions, but I obviously cannot use the RV setting given it's goofiness now.

Trust should never be broken on RV-specific routing software given the dire consequences, they need to roll back versions asap!
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #10

I am seeing some wonky routing with the RV Safe routing as well. First image is with the RV Safe routing, second without. In the second image it's all interstate driving. I can't for the life of me figure out why it wants me to take the longer route up near Cincinnati? It's also doing some funky things on th next leg of the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVTW Safe Routing.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	251075   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVTW Standard Routing.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	251076  

Roadwarrior1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #11

Interesting note: RV Safe Routing has been changed to RV Routing (Beta)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTallGuy View Post
Interesting note: RV Safe Routing has been changed to RV Routing (Beta)
we have seen some unexpected routing results with this latest release and so have pushed that option back into beta as we tweak this further.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I am hopeful that the Routing bugs can be worked out quickly. It appears that the RVTW website is super slow right now.

Not throwing rocks here.

If I am very, very, very patient, the map eventually catches up with itself.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #14

I was able to get the RV Safe Routing to work for me this morning using a height of 13' 2" and not give me a weird route.

Tags
trip wizard