Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #29

Excellent, excellent, write-up SeeTheUSA2, Paul. I've experienced many of the same things trying to upload with BaseCamp; but, have not tried using the Drive app and will do that next. Otherwise, the new 890 is a wonderful upgrade from the older Rand McNally.

However, for $500 and change, you would think Garmin would have thoroughly tested the device rather than leaving it up to users to discover the quirks? They've been in this business a very long time and do airplane GPS, boat navigation, etc. Yes, I'm a little disappointed at this point, but will try the Drive upload.
gregoryd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA2 View Post

Snip

• BaseCamp can import tracks in a GPX file from RVTW, but sending then to 890 hangs the 890.
Snip

Paul
Paul, is this still true for you??

After the last RVTW software update my Windows 10 PC running Firefox imports trips from RVTW to Garmins' BaseCamp as routes not tracks. I think for this reason the routes in BaseCamp show as point to point between way points (or stops in RVTW) and do not align with roads.
In order to align each leg to a road I must recalculate each leg.

I noticed (until the last RVTW software update) when I downloaded trips from RVTW into BaseCamp they downloaded as tracks and displayed exactly as created in RVTW. It's only when I converted the tracks to routes did BaseCamp recalculate the legs to BaseCamps routing algorithm.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #31

On my recent post on using the DRIVE app to upload a GPX file, I couldn't find how that is done. A call to the developer found that this only works with Android smart phones, not my iPhone! Oh well ...
gregoryd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #32

Hi everyone,

I have not tried the Basecamp Process in months. I don't know what works now.

However, being on the road now and using a tablet, my process nas changed. For me, RVTW is very difficult to use on the tablet (galaxy tab a) although i still open it to help find cgs.

Mostly i use rvParky and google search to find a cg and then put the dates, location, etc. in a shared google calendar using aCalendar (a great app). The import, export is now replaced with copy/paste.

To use the RV890, i search for the cg and hit go. I also shape the route in the Garmin while consulting with G maps and the terrain view.

I will fill in more when i drag the pc out qnd can type.

Fwiw,
Paul

[Bgw, this forum has. Bcome a pita for a landscape tablet view such that i don't read it regularly anymore]
Old 07-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
adding rant

Went on my first "short" trip and was disappointed with some of what the RV890 DOESN'T have.

1) Voice command needs a cheat sheet to know what words it accepts. The first standout is recalling recents. There is none..... Unless you reach out and touch the screen; first where to, then recent.
Your attention is taken away from the much more important task of driving! In my case the screen is more than a arms length away!

Advise is to plan ahead. A simple added stop; missed due to the 890 not recognizing words, required canceling the route. or Listen to "make the next u-turn" for who knows how long..... Then re-entering the destination address because "recently found", standard on a nuvi, isn't a recognized command on the RV890.

I called tech support later only to find they didn't include it.....

2) Asked at my next stop where Costco was. Straight down the street 3 miles. Easy! Except I asked Garmin for directions.

Once out on the street, around noon, the map showed a left turn followed by a zig-zag course many streets long. Then it had me enter the freeway, which was within sight straight ahead, go north a couple of miles and then.... You guessed it a u-turn back onto the freeway south only to exit and zig-zag back onto the street I was already on; maybe? Not me!

I stayed straight and shortly was filling up @3.90gal. Wish I had taken a screen shot of what Garmin had in mind.....

What I really like was alerting me to sharp turns which weren't and NO alert to sharp freeway interchange ramps that were transferring us from one to another HWY.

Really looking forward to being in areas of the country without basic knowledge like one has of their home turf. I do foresee planning rather than just giving a destination address. A learning experience to be sure.

It is a great addition but can be frustrating. I think I will be keeping the Nuvi handy for now.... That or a rubber tipped stick for reaching the touch screen
end rant.

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #34

Thanks for the write up JellyBean. I'll be experimenting with my 890 in a few days. I was playing around with it last night and I asked it to plot a path to my daughters place. As with my other 2 GPS units (old and real old) it took me through a town instead of on a 4 lane bypass. The bypass was not only shorter in distance, but with no traffic signals it is faster. Go figure!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #35

I have had our 890 for a year now. I donít use the voice command. Set the route as the last thing before leaving camp. It has been a reliable companion. I update as often as it permits. Both firmware and maps. I can also run RV Life on my phone as a backup. I sometimes plug info into both to confirm my routing if there are any questions. I use my Storm Tracker app to see satellite image of roads that might have issues. (Thatís how I knew I could handle the Million Dollar Highway)
I would buy again and recommend!
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:32 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Went on my first "short" trip and was disappointed with some of what the RV890 DOESN'T have.

1) Voice command needs a cheat sheet to know what words it accepts. The first standout is recalling recents. There is none..... Unless you reach out and touch the screen; first where to, then recent.
Your attention is taken away from the much more important task of driving! In my case the screen is more than a arms length away!

Advise is to plan ahead. A simple added stop; missed due to the 890 not recognizing words, required canceling the route. or Listen to "make the next u-turn" for who knows how long..... Then re-entering the destination address because "recently found", standard on a nuvi, isn't a recognized command on the RV890.

I called tech support later only to find they didn't include it.....

2) Asked at my next stop where Costco was. Straight down the street 3 miles. Easy! Except I asked Garmin for directions.

Once out on the street, around noon, the map showed a left turn followed by a zig-zag course many streets long. Then it had me enter the freeway, which was within sight straight ahead, go north a couple of miles and then.... You guessed it a u-turn back onto the freeway south only to exit and zig-zag back onto the street I was already on; maybe? Not me!

I stayed straight and shortly was filling up @3.90gal. Wish I had taken a screen shot of what Garmin had in mind.....

What I really like was alerting me to sharp turns which weren't and NO alert to sharp freeway interchange ramps that were transferring us from one to another HWY.

Really looking forward to being in areas of the country without basic knowledge like one has of their home turf. I do foresee planning rather than just giving a destination address. A learning experience to be sure.

It is a great addition but can be frustrating. I think I will be keeping the Nuvi handy for now.... That or a rubber tipped stick for reaching the touch screen
end rant.

I had a trip routed all in AZ, maybe 180 mi. 890 made it 1526 mi and sent me to Ohio. I feel robbed.
Rick3390 is offline   Reply With Quote