Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #1

Oklahoma City to Baltimore

Just bought 2015 Newmar Bay Star 3401 and am leaving for Baltimore (from Okla City) September 20th. Looking at mileage, going I44 to I70 (thru St. Louis, indiana, OH, Pa) etc vs. going I40 to I81 through Ark, Ms, Va etc is my question. Which is the better route since they both seem about the same distance. Is I81 alot of mountain hills meaning more poorer fuel economy?
Which have better quality highways?

We have owned 3 other MH's but this one is the largest we have owned. Others were small A's and 1 Class C.

Suggestions please and thanks

Kevin
2015 NEEWMAR Bay Star 3401
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
kevinapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Taking the I70 route is a little on the dull side. Pennsylvania will have some scenery, but Indiana is not much to look at (sorry, Boilermakers). It is a relatively smooth ride. Some hills, but not a bunch and nothing big.

The I40 is more scenic, but you'll hit some climbs (and drops) in Tennessee and again as you approach and enter Virginia. Nothing you can't handle, but it's a more hilly route. Once you hit Virginia, you'll drop into the Shenandoah and it's flat from there. If you go this way, DO NOT approach DC. Go the long way around, traffic is a nightmare and the lanes change frequently.

I've driven both and had no problems either way. If I had to choose, I would take the southern route because it's nicer. It might be a bit more fuel, but you'll avoid the tolls on the northern route.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
A piece of info to take into account:

If you take the I-40, I-81, I-66 route into Washington then Baltimore, I-66 in northern VA has been under construction for a few years and will likely be worked on for at least a couple more years. I no longer drive that part of I-66 in our coach due to the construction. It is terrible. Whichever route you wind up taking, I recommend avoiding I-66 from Manassas to the Washington Beltway.

Regards.

Chuck