Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #1

RV Life App - CarPlay Feedback

I had a chance to play with the new version of the RV Life app that downloaded to my iPhone today (version 3.1.3) and had some feedback (and a question) based on what I saw during the 2 hours I was using it. Here we go:
  1. The system defaulted to US Imperial even though I continued to select Metric from the settings menu (I am in Canada). Then randomly during the trip, it flipped to metric (like the setting was delayed)
  2. The app crashed a few times after selecting my route and I had to restart. This happned a few times at the beginning, but once I was driving, it didn't crash at that point
  3. When notifications of messages popped up at the bottom of the CarPlay screen, when that message was about to disappear, the drop down in the RV Life GPS app would be displayed (the settings and Stop buttons) for a few seconds and then disappear
  4. I have selected that the speed limit be displayed in settings; however it is not shown on the screen (is it supposed to be?)
  5. The chime for speed limit warnings is helpful; however, if there could be a visual indicator, that would be really helpful

And finally, my question is about RV Safe routing parameters. My scenario is this. I picked my trailer up from storage, and it's literally a right turn out of the storage yard, a left turn down a standard road, another left several miles later and that brings me to the Service Center. When I asked to do the routing, it took me past the first left and continued down to a bigger road (still a road out in the country, same speed limits, we still cross the same train tracks, etc.). The only difference that I can figure out is that the first path goes through a small town where the speed limit drops and there is an additional stop as a crossroad.

Would that be the difference, or is something else at play that I should be aware of (or am I looking too deep)?
Colbytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbytech View Post
And finally, my question is about RV Safe routing parameters. My scenario is this. I picked my trailer up from storage, and it's literally a right turn out of the storage yard, a left turn down a standard road, another left several miles later and that brings me to the Service Center. When I asked to do the routing, it took me past the first left and continued down to a bigger road (still a road out in the country, same speed limits, we still cross the same train tracks, etc.). The only difference that I can figure out is that the first path goes through a small town where the speed limit drops and there is an additional stop as a crossroad.

Would that be the difference, or is something else at play that I should be aware of (or am I looking too deep)?
I think you are. Local knowledge always trumps GPS recommendations, especially for such a small sample as what you describe. The question really should be, did RV Life direct you onto a routing that was completely compatible with the RV you are driving. Then project your response out to the situation where you are driving on hundreds of miles of roads that you are completely unfamiliar with. When I leave my driveway for any trips I take, whether for weekends or months on the road, I always take a different route than the GPS recommends, not because the GPS is wrong, but because I know all of the roads around me like the back of my hand. But once on "The Road", I always defer to the GPS, with the caveat that each night prior, I do review each next day's proposed route, especially when traveling off the interstates. Most everyone with a larger RV does the same.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I think you are. Local knowledge always trumps GPS recommendations, especially for such a small sample as what you describe. The question really should be, did RV Life direct you onto a routing that was completely compatible with the RV you are driving. Then project your response out to the situation where you are driving on hundreds of miles of roads that you are completely unfamiliar with. When I leave my driveway for any trips I take, whether for weekends or months on the road, I always take a different route than the GPS recommends, not because the GPS is wrong, but because I know all of the roads around me like the back of my hand. But once on "The Road", I always defer to the GPS, with the caveat that each night prior, I do review each next day's proposed route, especially when traveling off the interstates. Most everyone with a larger RV does the same.
Thanks so much for the additional perspective, you are absolutely correct. The recommended route was indeed completely safe for RV transit, and from a high-level, would have been a bit less complex as there were no additional factors like a small town, reduced speed limits, additional stops, etc.

I will continue to play and verify things locally just to see how things look.
Colbytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #4
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I applaud and agree with Mike's comments. EVERY single RV GPS I have used chooses a funky route out of my neighborhood onto the freeway. There has been vast reconstruction of the freeway/tollway/express lanes...a multi-year project, and the truck/RV GPS systems have just not caught up. I suspect a misreporting by the state or construction company or something, because it's every single brand. But...I don't the GPS to get out of my own neighborhood. It's the unfamiliar that concerns me.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I applaud and agree with Mike's comments. EVERY single RV GPS I have used chooses a funky route out of my neighborhood onto the freeway. There has been vast reconstruction of the freeway/tollway/express lanes...a multi-year project, and the truck/RV GPS systems have just not caught up. I suspect a misreporting by the state or construction company or something, because it's every single brand. But...I don't the GPS to get out of my own neighborhood. It's the unfamiliar that concerns me.

A few years ago my county closed a road to build a runway over it, and closed both ways, so I contacted the major mapping apps to reroute people and avoid big trucks on a country road doing upturns.

Apple, Garmin, Magellan, GM, almost everyone except Google use… TOMTOM for their data, and I also learned the GPS in the fine “satellite” navigation in your dash uses a DVD that must be updated to reflect any changes.

Since the TOMTOM people take a couple years to change their data maps, and then disseminate it to the masses, AND you have to BUY an update, you may never see them in real time. Or anytime soon!

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote