Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

RV LIFE GPS app On Samsung Tab7 Tablet

I'm looking at the latest Samsung Tab 7 5G tablet that will run on 5G network. Can I assume it will run RV LIfe GPS app? It should have the latest Android version, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it yet?
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #2

Samsung Tablet

I have a Samsung Tablet A (10") from 2016 and it runs just fine on that.
MakethePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #3

According to RV Life help it will run on devices with Android 8 or higher.
GaryS1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakethePlan View Post
I have a Samsung Tablet A (10") from 2016 and it runs just fine on that.
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of using a tablet vs a phone to get a larger map. Also, hoping to use 5G capability of tablet as a hotspot to improve laptop performance and streaming to TV.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #5

It was a lot more difficult to get it working than it should have been. It kept freezing at loading routes or whatever it says at that point. Sometimes it simply crashed. I finally got it to show the routes. The documentation was not much help as it completely skips over without addressing the point where it was freezing and crashing.

I have no idea what "fixed" it. It just started working after tinkering with settings on the tablet. So tomorrow I'm going to test it on an actual route and see if it performs like a typical GPS Navigation tool.

Hopefully your setup will go smoother.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
It was a lot more difficult to get it working than it should have been. It kept freezing at loading routes or whatever it says at that point. Sometimes it simply crashed. I finally got it to show the routes. The documentation was not much help as it completely skips over without addressing the point where it was freezing and crashing.

I have no idea what "fixed" it. It just started working after tinkering with settings on the tablet. So tomorrow I'm going to test it on an actual route and see if it performs like a typical GPS Navigation tool.

Hopefully your setup will go smoother.
Thanks for the warning Gary. My tablet arrives today and I'm hoping it works on RV Life right out of the box.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Thanks for the warning Gary. My tablet arrives today and I'm hoping it works on RV Life right out of the box.

So I did a test on a simple route. It worked. If you have used Google Maps, Garmin etc. or a built in navigation system this will be a let down. It's not as polished as the above but it does work.

One thing I found out is it's best to build your trip from scratch as opposed to modifying an existing trip where stops are moved around. For whatever reason RV Trip Wizard and RV Life GPS seem to get confused by a modified route. As an example I had a route to my RV storage location and then to a RV mechanic then back home. I didn't get to test it so when I went to pickup my RV and take it back to the RV storage location I moved the mechanics location ahead of the storage location a simple modification just reversing the order. It confused RV Life GPS even though the order was correct in RV Trip Wizard.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:42 AM   #8

RV Life not Building Routes

I got my new Samsung Tab 7 5G tablet and successfully downloaded RV Life app. My RV specs downloaded and I also was able to show the routes I created in RVTW. I also downloaded the Florida map data to RV Life app for the planned route. When I tried to navigate to first stop on a route, the app showed building route message for about 10 seconds. The route was not displayed and I got an error message "RV Life Keeps Stopping." I tried logging off and logging on again with the same result. Next I tried the same procedure on my Samsung S9 phone and got the same error message "RV Life Keeps Stopping." The phone is Android version 10 and tablet is Android version 11. What should I try to get the app working? This is my first experience with RV Life app on tablet and phone, so I may be missing something in set up. Greg
Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #9

IIRC there's a setting in Android to allow an app to continue operating in the background. If you turn that on it dramatically improves the performance of RVTW. Otherwise, it's trying to work in the background while Android's trying to shut it down for battery efficiency reasons.

We keep our Tab plugged in while traveling so power consumption is a moot point. When not traveling, we explicitly kill the app to avoid battery drain.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
IIRC there's a setting in Android to allow an app to continue operating in the background. If you turn that on it dramatically improves the performance of RVTW. Otherwise, it's trying to work in the background while Android's trying to shut it down for battery efficiency reasons.

We keep our Tab plugged in while traveling so power consumption is a moot point. When not traveling, we explicitly kill the app to avoid battery drain.
Chris, thanks for the tip about Android setting. I could not find the "continue operating in background setting". Is this in the "settings" app on tablet?

Here is another wrinkle on this issue: when I select RV Life menu item "RV safe GPS" and manually enter the same origin and destination as the RVTW route it states "building routes" and it does actually build the routes with no error message. If I select "RV Trip Wizard" on the main menu, my preplanned RVTW trips show up, but when I try to build the route on the first leg (same leg that works with "RV Safe GPS") I get the error message "RV LIFE keeps stopping." It seems to me that if RV Life can build a route via "RV Safe GPS" menu, it should also work for "RV Trip Wizard" menu.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:11 AM   #11

Chris, I found the setting and I set "allow background activity" for RV Life app. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error message "RV Life keeps stopping" so I think the problem is something else. Anyone have some more ideas?
Old 03-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Chris, I found the setting and I set "allow background activity" for RV Life app. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error message "RV Life keeps stopping" so I think the problem is something else. Anyone have some more ideas?
Iˋm having the same problem. Motorola G5 plus (android). Built a trip, downloaded the offline map. turned off the internet to simmulate its loss. i start rvlife then select an RV Trip Wizard trip and can't get past "RV Life has stopped".
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
Iˋm having the same problem. Motorola G5 plus (android). Built a trip, downloaded the offline map. turned off the internet to simmulate its loss. i start rvlife then select an RV Trip Wizard trip and can't get past "RV Life has stopped".
I'm also having the same problem. I opened RV Life, went to the Trip Wizard tab, selected an itinerary, then had it create a route for one of the legs of the trip and chose RV routing.

It started creating a route but crashed repeatedly. I set RV Life to allow operation in the background and to operate normally even with data saver on. That didn't fix it, nor did turning off data saver. It's also in normal battery operation mode, i.e., no attempts to save power.

Something's wrong. This happened to me in the past with an earlier version of RV Life in an earlier version of Android. It got fixed then but apparently is back again.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #14

Thank you for using RV Trip Wizard/RV Life, part of the RV Life Pro suite of products.

We are aware of this problem and our programmer is working on it. If you send a ticket into the Help Desk we will put you on a list to be notified when fixed.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps