Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Life GPS Trip file

Is there a way of downloading the Trips database? Twice I have been unable to use a saved RVTW trip because I had no internet available to select the trip. Having the maps downloaded is great if you lose the internet in transit, but if there is no internet to select the trip initially, then you can not start the trip. I know I can manually select a destination, but that will not include any waypoints or via stops I have programmed.

Also, I know it should be obvious, but a big flag that there is no internet would be nice. When I couldn't open trips I didn't think about the fact that I had no internet for a while. As a result, I wasted a lot of perfectly good curse words
towards the program!

Should the GPS app have its own forum?
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

You can download to your GPS but the safest way is to have everything you need on your tablet or phone via the RVLife app.

We were in Alaska this summer and I am now in the habit of checking my connection whenever I look at the phone.

Having an internet flag should be the responsibility of mfg. RVTW is not the only app that uses the internet.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #3

We did a 15,000 mile trip with RV Trip Wizard and were many times without internet. When we had internet access I would download an excel spreadsheet to my tablet with all the information for the next few days of our plans just in case. I never could get Trip Wizard to load onto our Garmin GPS with all the detailed information so had to program the GPS manually. Hopefully this has now been resolved for a better outcome.
MakethePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

I doubt the GPS problem will be resolved. It is the mfg. who take the RVTW trip and recalculate the route, even Garmin Maps does this.

A download of the trip can be loaded onto the RVLife app(a sister app), state maps can be downloaded and the trip integrity will be maintained. By downloading the state maps you no longer need the internet.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I doubt the GPS problem will be resolved. It is the mfg. who take the RVTW trip and recalculate the route, even Garmin Maps does this.

A download of the trip can be loaded onto the RVLife app(a sister app), state maps can be downloaded and the trip integrity will be maintained. By downloading the state maps you no longer need the internet.
The rub is that even if you have downloaded the maps you must have internet to START the trip. On two occasions I have been unable to use the app until I finally reached a location with cell phone reception. If I'm using the app to guide me to my location and upon arrival I find that I have no internet I have no way of using the app for my next trip until I get somewhere with internet. I find this to be a real weakness.

Also, a non graphic front-end with just log in and trip listing to help minimize the delay caused by by trying to show all the graphics, parks nearby, etc. would be nice in weak signal areas.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

I passed this on to the developer. He is going to do some testing. RVlife shouldn't work this way according to him.

I'll get back to you when I get an answer.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

Sent a PM

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sue,

I spent some time working with this today and could not duplicate my own complaint! Not sure what we were doing wrong the other times but even in airplane mode the app had my trips file and routed to the destination. Worked with both Ipad and Samsung Tablet.

Tags
gps