RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #1

RV Life on a Kindle

Any thought on getting this to work?

I subscribe to RV Trip Wizard and RV Life Premium. I can connect the two and access my trips. I can download the maps required for offline use but when I try to tie them together and see the turn by turn directions, it just loops back to the trip listings.

I thought I read this issue was fixed for Android systems. Or am I wishing too hard?

Is there a workaround? How can I at least see the route on the maps?

Thank you,

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcolby View Post
Any thought on getting this to work?

I subscribe to RV Trip Wizard and RV Life Premium. I can connect the two and access my trips. I can download the maps required for offline use but when I try to tie them together and see the turn by turn directions, it just loops back to the trip listings.

I thought I read this issue was fixed for Android systems. Or am I wishing too hard?

Is there a workaround? How can I at least see the route on the maps?

Thank you,

Tom
I have not heard of RV Life not working on a Kindle. Please try logging off and back on of the app. This normally fixes trip syncing problems.

LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

I logged out, rebooted, and logged back in.

After I get to RV directions and continue, the program flickers a few times and bounces back to trips.

FYI, this is on a Kindle Fire HD 10 (9th gen).

Thank you.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #4

I am discussing this with RVLife support.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

I can offer a phone number if that will help.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the offer but I have a Kindle Fire also and can replicate the problem.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 AM   #7

After talking to the developer the mapping engine used by RVTW does not support Fire OS. Bummer. I asked if support would be in the future and the answer was probably not. Fire tablets are not heavily used so there is no push to get them supported.

One of the options on RVLife is to use "other map providers". I haven't spent much time on this but so far I haven't been able to use another map provider. Haven't tried very hard though.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 02-19-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

That is not happy news, Sue46.

I was able to download the required maps for the trip and can't find a way back to download from another map provider. Is there a way?

What map providers allow download for offline use? The Kindle utilizes WIFI for access and my flip phone does not furnish as a hotspot.

Is there any choice but to cancel my premium subscription or delete the program entirely?

Is it possible to extend my free trial until this issue is resolved?

Thank you,

Tom
Old 02-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #9

I can't answer most of those questions due to lack of knowledge. I am going to ask someone else to answer.

FYI-So far there are only 3 Kindle users of RVLife and we know who 2 are and I think I know the third. We don't exactly have a strong case at this time.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 02-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
Trip Wizard Support

I know that RV Life will not work on Amazon Fire Tablets, I discussed this with the developer earlier this week.

I would assume that it would be similar on a Kindle.

Amazon does things differently than most others on Android. This causes problems with the RV Life app.
EMY92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #11

He is on a Fire, just calling it a Kindle Fire.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #12

Tom, As a substitute you can use other mapping programs however they will not maintain the route the RVTW has created nor do they have any RV restrictions implemented.

To do this, assuming you have Google Maps etc. downloaded. Go to Settings, Navigation and select whatever mapping program you would like to use.

You might be better off splitting the trip into a day by day routing so you have better control.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #13

Thank you Sue46 and all other replies, I was hoping for a better outcome.

Fortunately, I have an RV specific Garmin to rely on for navigation. I've read of the horrendous effort required to transfer routes between RVTW and Garmin GPSs. Does anyone know if this process has improved?
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #14

Here is the information we have on Garmin, there are 2 methods, you might want to print these out:

Notes:
· Make sure the Drag Routes button in RVTW is not active (it must be white NOT gray) before beginning transfer or the last adjustment made in RVTW may not transfer.
· Trips in Trip Wizard can consist of several legs. If you transfer a trip consisting of more than one leg the trip transfers with the file name of the trip. Each leg is embedded in the file and will import into Base Camp as separate files one for each leg with the name of the beginning and end points. Legs download into Base Camp as Tracks.
1. Create the route in RVTW.
2. Download Trip created in RVTW as a .gpx file > Wrench icon > Download to GPS > Select GPX format
a. The trip will download to the "Downloads" folder with the same name as was in Trip Wizard.
3. Start Base Camp and set the filter button (at bottom of screen) to display "Tracks". Files transfer as Tracks not Routes
4. Highlight the folder you want the just created file to reside in.
5. Select File and Import File to: "file you highlighted previously" see above.
6. Navigate to the file (trip) you want to download located in the computers "Downloads" folder. It will have the extension .gpx. Select the file (trip) from the dropdown box and select Open. Note: Each leg of the trip will be imported into Base Camp as a separate Track with a different name; generally the new name will include the start and end points of each leg.
7. Tracks must be converted to Route’s before they can be transferred to the GPS.
8. Make sure the filters are set to show Tracks.
9. Select a just downloaded track and make it active.
10. Double click on the track. A pop up box will display. Click on the “Create Route” icon on the bottom of the pop up box. It takes a few seconds to create the route.
11. Make sure the filters are set to show “Routes” Rename the Route by making the Route active > right click on the route > rename
12. Convert each Track to a Route as above until all Tracks (Legs) are converted to Routes.
13. Each route can now be exported to the Garmin device.

METHOD 2

To Export to the Garmin GPS: ____________________________
1. Make sure the GPS is connect and recognized by the computer
2. In Base Camp, make Active the route to transfer by highlighting it. The route will be highlighted with arrows showing direction of travel.
3. Left click on the “Send to GPS” icon
4. If a memory card is in the GPS, select where you want the trip to go. Press OK
5. On the GPS, Select “Where To?
6. Select the Trip Planner Icon
7. Give the GPS a moment to load the transferred route, you will see a moving circle. Once the downloaded route is displayed select the downloaded route.
8. If you see a note explaining how to edit - disregard and press OK
9. The route will display with a start and destination. Ignore this and press GO
10. A screen will display with 2 choices to select the next destination. Press OK and a screen will display with the route shown as created in Trip Wizard.
11. Press Start to start navigation

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y