RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Life routing issue

A couple of things I have seen.
It seems that when using RV life it does not use the exported route for RV Trip Wizard all the time. Very problematic.
The second just happened to us where RVlife route us down a unpaved road and almost on to a power line ROW that was for high clearance vehicles. See attached screen shot for problem area.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	308111
calvinheinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #2

That's why paper maps are still made.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You know, sometimes with EVERY GPS, stuff happens. There are no exceptions. So double check all of your profile and route preference settings just to be sure they are the way you intend them to be. And like it or not, especially when you're off the interstates, you're gonna have to get in the habit of reviewing your next day's drive, at least to some extent.

As for the routing differences between the web- and phone-based programs, I defer to responders who will know what they are talking about.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #4

This is the exact same thing I was just thinking. I was looking at the entrance into Medina Lake on RV Trip Wizard, and it shows the upper route of the posted square. I spent 5 weeks in Medina Lake, and I drove my Bike down that route. Its only about a half mile, but there is no easy way to drive it. Several very tight corners. The Bottom half of the Square is the easy way in. My Garmin takes you the correct way in. Additionally, RV Trip Wizard takes you down PR37 on the way out back to the Interstate. That is one twisty road. There is a much easier way out.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #5

I was testing a different 3rd party RV GPS / Routing app while we were in Canada. Thank goodness we weren't actually towing at the time, and were driving only our 4x4 RAM 1500. It took us down what was literally a dirt track across the "moors," up onto a low sea wall, and then back across some fields until we finally re-connected with an actual paved road. Fun in our truck, but horrifying with no place to turn around if we had been towing our trailer. Needless to say, we deleted that app and never looked back. No, I don't remember what it was called, but it sure wasn't RVLife.

Here's a pin on the road it took us down. I'm sorry to say there's no "street view" here, as the road is spectacularly bad for towing and I wish you could see it.
https://goo.gl/maps/XwG9PAXP5Kyhkg5Q9

So, yeah, it definitely pays to look around and maybe use a paper map from time to time. Again, no vehicles were harmed, and we actually had fun following the route in our 4x4 truck, but wow...
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinheinly View Post
A couple of things I have seen.
It seems that when using RV life it does not use the exported route for RV Trip Wizard all the time. Very problematic.
Attachment 308111
This one we noticed too. Just a short two hour trip. I had put a route influence to get me to stay on the back roads which I know are good using the website. When I started the trip with the app it went back to the longer option down to the the busy interstate on a Friday after work which adds an hour to a two hour trip. We had saved the directions and had them on a phone so we just headed the way we knew. Eventually we could follow the app again.

Let me add some info. The new way the app choose still was going to take us to the stop I added to direct us on the country back roads, but it was having us go via the interstate out of our way adding time and miles. I could see if I had a 50' long vehicle or something, but I only have it listed as 26' and 14000 lbs.

I do love using the RVTripWizard website and I like the elevation feature. I am posting here in hopes that the few bugs left in the app get fixed.