Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #1

RV Trip app suggested route quite diff than RVT website's!

A puzzlement!

I've been using RV Trip Wizard on the web as a paying member for about a year, planned many short/long trips on it.

Today I'm taking a one-day overnight trip w/my grandson to a nearby state park in California. The web site suggests one route, but then when I entered the same exact starting/ending in the RV Live app, same account, same rig specs, it suggested a more direct but longer, and quite twisty-looking route for my 30' motorhome.

Why? Is this a bug? Which one is more reliable?
amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

here are screenshots...

What RVTripWizard.com (the web site) suggests:
http://www.dropbox.com/s/r05m49zu7ti...32-27.jpg?dl=0

What the RVTrip *app* suggests:
http://www.dropbox.com/s/hfyjb2tt2eu..._9677.png?dl=0

here's a closeup of the twisty road:
http://www.dropbox.com/s/b7fpuccfsb2..._9678.png?dl=0
amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Do you have any "avoid" settings selected on the app? It does use a similar but different algorithm because of the additions Avoid Traffic setting that exists in the app.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #4

Hi Pbuca,

Good suggestion. For both the web site and the app I have the same avoids: Ferries and Unpaved Roads.

In the app settings > Navigation, I've chosen RV LIFE Maps instead of the other three options (Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze).

When it shows me that curve-riddled option, it says "RV Friendly Route" at the bottom. Um, nope.

I emailed RVTrip Wizard support the same thing with the same screen shots. They said something strange:

Quote:
RV Trip Wizard and RVLife use different routing engines to determine your route. RVLife does not always suggest a route that is RV-friendly, whereas RV Trip Wizard can be set to specifically suggest an RV-safe route. You can, however, set up your desired route using RV Trip Wizard, then sync that trip with the RV Life app:

In the RV Life app, go to the Profile & Account tab, sign out, then sign in again using the same username & password as rvtripwizard.com.
You should not have to do this more than once.

Your trips will then sync to the app.
So I synced the trips, but then ... why not just go to rvtripwizard.com on my mobile device, why use the app?

I will write support back and ask them to note the app's big 'ol "RV Friendly Route" label at the bottom of the suggested route. lol ...

AM
Old 06-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #5

Good information. Thank you for sharing. So you do recommend the wizard for trip planning? Have you tried any other planning services? We are planning a long trip next April from Alabama to Portland Me. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #6

Oh I love the Trip Wizard (on the web) for trip planning. It's earned a coveted "top of my bookmarks/favorites" ranking in my web browsers. ;-)

It's extremely convenient to see what are all the RV parks, state parks, etc. along a route you're planning, and to click them to quickly see a summary, and then another click to see reviews and pictures, and a web site link to make a reservation online or by phone.

In the days/weeks leading up to my trip, I take my time researching and often add three or four alternatives to each stop on my trip, each one set to 0 days, and then the day before or the day of, choose one and call to see if I can stay for a while (I seldom stay more than 2-3 nights in one place for the long trips I've been doing).

AM

Tags
route, website