Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard - Fuel $$ Calculation

I just signed up for RV Wizard and was plotting my first trip when I noticed I only paid $83 for 166 gallons of diesel. Bargain right?? But not so fast.

When I went to the fuel stop edit page for that fill up I realized that the fuel number used for the calculation of my cost was the fuel used from my last stop NOT MY LAST FUEL STOP. And the cost of fuel is calculated from that figure (fuel used) not from the amount I actually pumped.

The numbers - The edit screen showed that I had used 27.63 gallons from my last stop (the rv park). What the program apparently did was figure my cost for fuel from what I had used that day - 27.63 X $3.0 = $83 not from the amount of fuel added field (166 gal.) AND there is no way I could find to edit these figures to make things come out right.

Has anyone else noticed this and do you have a suggestion for a work around?
I traded several emails with the RV Wizard folks but they didn't seem to understand the problem, but it sure blows the trip cost budgeting portion of the software.

I would love to learn how this works.
ktaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

For each "hop" on a trip, which is from stop to stop, RVTW will calculate the fuel used since the last stop. Whether or not you fueled up at the last stop. For it to know where you fueled up and therefore where to count down from full again, you have to let it know you "topped up", and how much fuel that took.

If you just want to let it continue guessing that your usage matches your estimated MPG, you can pop up the edit screen for the fuel stop, and select the "Top Off Fuel" check box next to the "Fuel Added" entry box. In this case, RVTW will calculate the amount used, add it to the remaining, and magically come up with the "full tank amount", that matches your fuel capacity, which it will use in the "Departure Fuel" entry.

Alternatively, you can "override" the fuel used by subtracting the amount pumped from the tank capacity, and enter the "arrival fuel" using the "override" check box. This will let you record your actual fuel usage and still reset the "Departure Fuel" counter to full tank as of the last fill up.

Whichever of the above methods you use to let RVTW know that you have refilled your fuel tank, it will count subsequent stops off as used against that last "refill", stop-by-stop (each subtracted from the last "Arrival Fuel" number, but not cumulative), until you do a fuel refill again, and once again notify RVTW how much fuel you used, or simply that you refilled.

Two issues with this methodology that bug me: I want a cumulative fuel usage/remaining since last fill up, not since last stop.
I also think it would be far more intuitive to be able to simply edit/override "Fuel Added" and select "Top Off", rather than calculating remaining from added and using that for overriding "arrival Fuel" which RVTW uses to calculate from.
HiWay-OurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fuel function was never meant to track your actual fuel expenses. RVTW's development roadmap was as a before-the-trip planning tool to help you plan out your route and stops, and to estimate expenses during the trip. Gas expenses are estimated using your chosen MPG estimate times your chosen $'s per gallon estimate times the miles of your trip and segmented by the miles between each and every stop. Now, as everyone who has used it for a while will attest, it is continuing to add functionality based on input from it's user community. My suggestion is a learn how to use the program and to make suggestions, based on knowledge and understanding, of improvements that might be made to it. The RVTW programming group is extremely talented and they listen. They've instituted multiple improvements to the program in a very short span of time to make it a better and better application. When you think of an improvement to be made, submit it as a suggestion. What you're seeing and commenting about today is the program working exactly as it should.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:25 AM   #4

Thanks for your replies. Larry from RVTW explained this to me in a email a little earlier today.
With my accounting background it never occured to me that the program would lump together all the expenses into a daily or a stop to stop total and then display that aggregate as the cost total for that particular stop. I am still pondering the usefulness of this but apparently there is some trip planning wisdom to this method that I will understand as I become more acquainted with RVTW. I like the program, I look forward to learning to use it more effectively, but that said I am still hoping that I run across somewhere or some function that lets me break out my expenses by category. A brief look at the excel download info looks like it may be my answer and I will give that a shot tomorrow.
Again, thanks everyone for your input.
ktaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

want to track actual fuel usage

Hi,

The trip planning type fuel usage estimates are fine, but that is not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to track fuel expenses. The things I want to track are 1) gallons added, 2) odometer reading, 3) price, 4) date and optionally 5) location. This will calculate MPG.

This should be unlinked from stops, and from estimates of current fuel level based on estimated MPG. After all, I'm looking to find MPG...

Is this possible?

Spark as Toad
woodruff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff13 View Post
Hi,

The trip planning type fuel usage estimates are fine, but that is not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to track fuel expenses. The things I want to track are 1) gallons added, 2) odometer reading, 3) price, 4) date and optionally 5) location. This will calculate MPG.

This should be unlinked from stops, and from estimates of current fuel level based on estimated MPG. After all, I'm looking to find MPG...

Is this possible?
RVTW’s companion app, Maintain My RV, will record fuel purchases and calculate mpg.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi,

Is this possible?
Get the Fuelio app. It does exactly what you want on your phone, is simple to use and doesn't clutter up RVTW. I have used it for a couple years now and it works great. I record mileage, fuel upload and total cost and it calculates mpg immediately. No muss, no fuss, and you don't have to break into RVTW to interrupt whatever its already doing for you.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #8

Mike or Cindy, Thanks! I'll check it out.

Spark as Toad
Old 09-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Mike or Cindy,

On the IOS app store, I did not find a Fuelio... Looks like it is Android only. My wife is that flavor, so I'll load it on hers..

Bill

Spark as Toad
Old 09-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Mike or Cindy,

On the IOS app store, I did not find a Fuelio... Looks like it is Android only. My wife is that flavor, so I'll load it on hers..

Bill
Between my wife and I, I'm the Android user. Download it to your wife's phone, I think it will do all of what you're looking for.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I never pay much attenti0on to the fuel calcs as at the most they are an estimate base don the estimated fuel cost and estimate mpg. Seems to be a lot of worry about not much. As noted, the fuel estimate is based on stop to stop.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel