Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
One BIG difference for me - really the main difference that disqualifies RVTW is that I simply export my GS Trip Plan to my Rand McNally dashboard GPS system an I’m good to go.
Based on RVTW's instructions, it looks like the same functionality should be available - unless I'm missing something. I'd like to know for sure, because it seems like the Rand McNally nav hardware is the best long-term solution for supporting RVTW exports while both being a backup nav system and adding camera functionality.
fryhtaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #44

Tim,

Thanks for the detailed explanation - and the followup. I did convert my tracks to routes in Basecamp. But I ended up with nothing in the 770 but points; no routing at all. I was a software engineer for 30+ years, so am not unfamiliar with computers and interfaces. After getting on the phone with Garmin, we tried a few more things and could get nowhere. The tech on the phone asked me to create a route in Basecamp (not imported from RVTW) and try exporting it. It worked perfectly. So the problem isn't in the export process to the 770, it's in the formatting of the data either 1) as it leaves RVTW (the GPX file) OR 2) as it is reformatted (tracks to routes) in Basecamp. We're at a large rally this week (I'm actually giving seminars on Trip Planning, Navigation and a full demo of RVTW), so time is a bit limited. But we'll get to it!

If you have other thoughts, I'd love to hear them. If you can put your hands on a 770 and give it a try, that would be great, too!

Mike
Old 06-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #45

My GPS is a Garmin RV 660 so their may be some software differences, but I can't imagine their is enough differences that the download feature between the two GPS's are different.

You mentioned when you download a route from RVTW to Base Camp then to your GPS you are only getting "points". I'm not sure what this means, but to my understanding all Base Camp downloads to your GPS are points, the points being the start and end points of your route and any turn points you created in Base Camp. Your GPS then creates a route from the start point to the end point and thru any turn points using the Navigation Preferences you have set in your GPS. Again, Base Camp does not export a route, just points although when you use the export feature on Base Camp it does say you are exporting a route.

When you export a route from RVTW to Base Camp (try just one leg for this experiment) and you have converted it to a route, does the route display exactly the same routing in Base Camp as it showed in RVTW?

But before you do this make sure you are exporting from Base Camp to your GPS the route you created in RVTW. Garmin's way of handling files is not real intuitive.

After connecting your GPS to your computer you can see the files on your GPS by looking on the left side of the display in Base Camp where the files are displayed. At the very bottom of the display you will see the files on your GPS. Make sure the file you want is displayed there after you downloaded it to the GPS.

Now on your GPS after you disconnect it from your computer, go to the "Trip Planner" Icon. It takes a few seconds for the trips to display.

Select the trip, then on the next screen press "Go". The next screen will give you the option to select the origin, destination, and if you had created any turn points, those will be displayed too. Make sure you select the destination point and press OK. The next screen will display "calculating" and then shortly a satellite view of your route. A note of caution here: Although the route displayed may be the route you intended it may not be the route that is calculated after you press "Start". After you press "Start" you will see "Calculating" again. Then the route will display in map view. That is the route you will drive if you follow the GPS.

There are plenty of ways to get errors and unintended consequences while using RVTW and exporting to Base Camp and then your GPS. I always review the route the GPS displays before driving it.

Again Mike, if the trip you created in RVTW displays correctly in Base Camp and is a route not a track I can't see how it doesn't get into your GPS correctly. Just to make sure you are viewing a route in Base Camp, the filter at the bottom of the files panel in Base Camp can be set to routes. If you see your downloaded route there, it surely is a route.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't read all the pros and cons, but after having used GS trip planner thru 4 rv's and years... and loving the daily summary of miles and hours between stops, the last year it's stopped working properly - may be Win 10 upgrade, unsure, but now do it all on my own...
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #47

Since RVTW is web based, if you don’t have internet (out of cell phone service area) what happens t your trip planning.
Davidsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsd View Post
Since RVTW is web based, if you don’t have internet (out of cell phone service area) what happens t your trip planning.
Your inference that you won't have access to RVTW is correct. Without internet you won't be able to connect, view or modify/create routes.

I use RVTW as a planner, not a navigator. I suppose there are situations where lack of internet might be a problem but since I tend to plan significant and long trips days to weeks in advance I've never had a problem with this issue. If someone thinks any particular route will have a chance of no signal and a potential need to review the route then they can be printed out in advance.

I also have offline mapping programs on both my computer and iPad to provide mapping information in the event of no signal. Google maps also provides some kind of offline service but I haven't taken the time to review how they implement it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
When done planning, print itinerary as PDF and save to device so that you have access to info about your trip if in area without internet. I use standalone RV GPS for navigating during the trip, so don’t need internet for that. Just addresses or coordinates for stops.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #50

I print mine up and I double check the latitude/longitude info first. I then write the Directv azimuth/elevation/tilt-skew just in case I need to use my tripod. I also write down the compass direction for the OTA towers at each stop.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #51

Is there any GPS for cell phones? Besides Allstays? I don't have an iPhone so can't use it. We've been using GS for the last several years and so far it's been good. Unfortunately it stopped working recently so I had to depend on my cell phone. Good info but not for an RV.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #52

Try RV Parky.
Both sold
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #53

The best RV GPS for cell phones is CoPilot for RV. Maps are downloaded so that you don't need to depend on wifi or cellular data, and it accepts RV weight (up to 26K pounds) and size dimensions for proper and safe routing.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Before using RV Trip Wizard I use the Good Sam planner. IMHO it is heads and tails better. Yes it is not free, but good things have to be paid for.

X2. RVTripWizard vs. Good Sam. And RV Parky is integrated in it.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeannetta View Post
X2. RVTripWizard vs. Good Sam. And RV Parky is integrated in it.

If you're referring to RVTW, RV Park Reviews is integrated into it not RV Parky.
RV Parky is an app downloaded from the Google store.
Both sold
Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 AM   #56

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
The best RV GPS for cell phones is CoPilot for RV. Maps are downloaded so that you don't need to depend on wifi or cellular data, and it accepts RV weight (up to 26K pounds) and size dimensions for proper and safe routing.
I agree, Mike. I use Copilot on an iPad mirrored to my front TV while driving so my wife can zoom in on an upcoming turn and with a quick glance I can see what’s coming. My version (9.6.5.593) lets me put in up to 60K for weight; the original 26K limitation was too low.

I love RV Trip Wizard for planning, but don’t see ever using it as my nav system.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard