Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #113

Monaco Owners Club
I found it surprising that there was no mention of RV Trip Wizard's companion App "RV Life" which gives you a GPS for your RVTW routes. I found it a great pairing when using RV Life on my iPad for our trip to Florida.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #114

Fred, when using the RV Life app does it follow exactly the route you created in RVTW?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #115
RV LIFE Support Team

It gets mentioned once in a while. So many people have GPS and are comfortable with them there is no inclination to change.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #116

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Fred, when using the RV Life app does it follow exactly the route you created in RVTW?
It appears to, although there where new routes that it new about and neither the Garmin or Good Sam GPS knew about. I'm very happy with it.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #117
RV LIFE Support Team

I doubt if they are "new" routes but having the ability to select more extensive routing criteria in RVTW is the real reason.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 01-28-2020, 05:01 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I doubt if they are "new" routes but having the ability to select more extensive routing criteria in RVTW is the real reason.
Its a bypass added to Florida RT 301 in September of 2019 that goes around the town of Starke, no traffic or lights and saved a ton of time. I love my Garmin GPS, not so much the Good Sam GPS, but opening my routes in RV Life was a no brainer, I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. My only complaint is it's a lot of unnecessary key presses to get it started and I'd like to be able to see the time and miles remaining better while driving.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 AM   #119
RV LIFE Support Team

I find the problem with GPS is you need to update the maps frequently(which are not very up to date) which is time consuming. While RVTW is pretty much up to date.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-08-2020, 01:06 AM   #120

We just purchased our rig and looking forward to new adventures. Like everyone else who once was a "newbie" I have been looking for all things to buy/add as we begin. I had seen the RVTW demo video and was impressed and after reading all the responses in this thread seems like a great add to my list of must haves.

Safe travels to all and hope to see some of you On the road!
MTrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #121

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I find the problem with GPS is you need to update the maps frequently(which are not very up to date) which is time consuming. While RVTW is pretty much up to date.
The RV Life app ask if you want to download the maps for the states you're traveling through to you device, in case you lose cell service.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #122

RV Trip Wizard - Driving Day

I agree with former posts saying that RV Trip Wizard surpasses the GS Trip planner. Both offer various campgrounds and attractions near the route but my ‘love affair’ is with the feature to set your driving day at x hours. We don’t want to drive more than 4 hours a day, after my husband’s heart event, and with the RV Trip Wizard I can set our driving day to be 4 hours and then determine my campgrounds from there. This was my main motivation to move to the RV Trip Wizard and away from the GS Trip Planner. Great feature RV Trip Planner developers! 👏❤️😁
RVLife_Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #123

No comparison!

We camp 6 months of the year, taking trips cross country and having multiple stops. We also have several memberships/discounts that we like use. And we have a budget. This used to mean having 5-6 different windows open as we planned our trip and cross-referenced discounts, reviews, nearby POIs, etc. That is where we were when I found RV Trip Wizard. It has been a game changer.

I have been using GS Trip Planner for years. Two years ago (or so) they changed it...i.e. they stopped supporting it in any valuable way and what is left is a skeleton of a trip planner. They are always saying it will get better...but it does not.

In looking for a replacement, I checked out reviews, videos and the demo for RV Trip Wizard. WOW! I kept saying "I wish I had this feature..." while using my GSTP. Now I have them plus some!

Yes, GSTP will allow you to filter by public, Good Sam or private campgrounds...BUT RVTW allows you to filter by specific associations such as Passport America, Thousand Trails, military campgrounds, etc. That was a huge deal for us since we use both military, PA and occasionally GS.

Try adding Points of Interest to your GSTP...they no longer even list POIs. "Coming Later" message has been showing for the past two years. RVTW not only shows the POIs but you can include them as part of your trip. You can even customize by adding your own POIs or campghrounds...and RVTP automatically gets the information and considers adding them to their list.

Since the change, I have been unable to upload my final trip to my GPS -- which is a Rand McNally GOOD SAM unit!

That is just a small sampling of differences....there are so many intuitive features with RVTW. l feel as if some software guy who knew little about camping built the GSTP. Then I use RVTW and think "Whoever built this knew about RVing!"

No comparison. Hands down worth every penney. No looking back.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #124

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I suppose I'm not a devotee of RVTW like some of the others. My issue is a somewhat squirrely routing engine that is amazingly difficult to use in planning scenic routes through national parks (Yellowstone, e.g.) or major gravel roads in the Colorado Rockies. The "route drag" feature refuses to let me select "round about"r(scenic) routes instead it substitutes frustrating circular routes that are annoying and useless with no explanation (such as possible height issues, etc.). RVTW tech help person made all sorts of suggestions which kind of made this possible to do but not great. In comparison, I planned two routes in both Good Sam and RVTW. The GS planner let me finish in much less time (20 min vice 2 hours) with much less frustration than RVTW. What I do like about RVTW is the way they've made rather extensive campground info available immediately placing website links to the actual campgrounds you are researching. Very convenient if not always accurate - be sure to go to the actual link to make sure of campground site types, open/close, etc. The other stuff like costs and driving circles were interesting but not all that useful for my purposes. SO: Since I am a GS member and use their other benefits, GS Trip Planner is free and takes care of my needs - has for years. RVTW needs work, I'll wait and see, cancelled my trial membership for now.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #125

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Based on your description of how you like to route your trips, I'm not surprised that a RV biased routing program might have a difficult time taking you where you want to go. I'd be curious, if you turned off the RV routing, how it would react to your routing requests.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
The suggestions from RVTW tech spt were to check "avoid highways" and to select "standard routing." That seemed to be a reasonable thing to try, but the routing engine sometimes let me drag and drop and sometimes wouldn't. The annoying thing is when I tried to drag and drop, it would not move the line to my preferred route but instead added a new endpoint (not waypoint) placed where I put the drag and drop pointer. That then ends up with a roundabout circle using the originally proposed route through my original desired destination with this new arbitrary endpoint placed at the end. Gives a horseshoe route which gets worse if I try a second add and drop. The fact that I know the route and there are no RV obstacles lets me know that it's not being stubborn based on perceived hazards. Like I said, think I'll wait and see. Even using this only briefly, I found a bug (tech said they knew about it - nice) and an error in campsite info which I reported. Based on such limited use and such readily found errors, perhaps this isn't ready for prime time yet. Lots of promise for sure.

Tags
trip wizard