Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
If you are starting over with a new system, consider Garmin BaseCamp with a Garmin 770 RV GPS. Works great. It is not the same as many others. It is complex to learn, but has extensive planning features. BaseCamp is free, but the streets map is not. It is intended to use the Garmin GPS you also would have.

I recommend you do not consider Microsoft Streets. Streets is a bare bones GPS street map.
Have been a loyal Garmin user for a long time. I don't find it complex at all, maybe because of longevity. And if you get the lifetime maps, you're good 'til the next generation from Garmin.
tdcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I recommend you do not consider Microsoft Streets. Streets is a bare bones GPS street map.

If you're referring to Microsoft Streets & Trips - it's out of the equation completely because Microsoft discontinued support after the 2013 release, and it's no longer available. But, that aside, it's one of the better off-line trip planning packages out there. You can specify what time you want to start driving, and what time you want to stop, and it will display an icon at each stop location, and give you a list of facilities within a specified distance from that location. You can also specify what types of roads you want to avoid, what types you prefer, and what general speed you prefer. Sure it's not perfect, and could have used some enhancements, but it's still my go-to package to all our trips.

I believe it was the last off-line tool available, with the exception of Garmin's Base Camp, and with it gone we are forced to use on-line tools. I've heard that Garmin is dropping Base Camp this year, by the way...
Old 03-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I have been using the RVTW pretty much since it came out, and have always liked it better than the GS. I still have the old RV Trip Planner 2013 which I often use for initial lay out of my longer trips and then manually transfer to RVTW.

I only keep my GS membership because of the Pilot/Flying J card. The discount and convenience off sets some of the GS nuisance, and I always send any postpaid envelopes back to GS either empty or with the card I don't want in the envelope. I suspect if everyone did that they might cut down on all their JUNK mail.

I wonder what happens with the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus credit card if someone let's their GS membership lapse? Would you still be able to use the card?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
I wonder what happens with the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus credit card if someone let's their GS membership lapse? Would you still be able to use the card?

Speaking of that I didn’t know to get the discount on fuel using your GS membership card you had to use the RV Plus credit card. Originally I was told all I needed was the GS card. WRONG
Old 03-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #75

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
Dropped GS last year. I continue to get discounted gas with the Flying J card. WRT to the Wizard, will it work properly on a Samsung Tab S2 Android tablet?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Dropped GS last year. I continue to get discounted gas with the Flying J card. WRT to the Wizard, will it work properly on a Samsung Tab S2 Android tablet?
Yes, RVTW will work on almost all platforms because it's web-based. Just use your browser. Chrome is usually best.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #77

Yes, renew the GS membership. As Aiken RVer said, there are other benefits that you may want to keep.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
Yes, RVTW will work on almost all platforms because it's web-based. Just use your browser. Chrome is usually best.
For some reason I can't drag the route with Chrome. I use Microsoft Edge for RVTW. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10. Pretty computer savvy but haven't figured this out yet. Just easier to use a different browser.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcolby View Post
Have been a loyal Garmin user for a long time. I don't find it complex at all, maybe because of longevity. And if you get the lifetime maps, you're good 'til the next generation from Garmin.
I agree. The Garmin NUVI GPS is good and most important, I know how to use it. The Garmin 770 is better. The 770 has better voice instruction and RV specific features.

I meant that BaseCamp is complex. It takes a bit of effort to learn how it works. Maybe I am just a little slow.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
If you're referring to Microsoft Streets & Trips - it's out of the equation completely because Microsoft discontinued support after the 2013 release, and it's no longer available. But, that aside, it's one of the better off-line trip planning packages out there. You can specify what time you want to start driving, and what time you want to stop, and it will display an icon at each stop location, and give you a list of facilities within a specified distance from that location. You can also specify what types of roads you want to avoid, what types you prefer, and what general speed you prefer. Sure it's not perfect, and could have used some enhancements, but it's still my go-to package to all our trips.

I believe it was the last off-line tool available, with the exception of Garmin's Base Camp, and with it gone we are forced to use on-line tools. I've heard that Garmin is dropping Base Camp this year, by the way...
I mean the replacement for the old MS Streets. It has GPS function and a large database of streets, but is pretty much bare of all other functions. I have a copy and I use it as a map to see a larger view than my GPS allows while underway. BaseCamp does not show current GPS position and you must connect to your GPS to see the streets database, so it is not good for use while underway. Connecting to your GPS takes the GPS off line.

There are lots of rumors about Base Camp being replaced by a new product that supports other new Garmin devices. So far the new program does not support traditional devices and certainly does not do all the things BaseCamp does. BaseCamp has been updated recently and more than one support person is now responding to issues on the Garmin forum.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Speaking of that I didn’t know to get the discount on fuel using your GS membership card you had to use the RV Plus credit card. Originally I was told all I needed was the GS card. WRONG

Incorrect, I have had GS membership for 2.5 years, not the RV+credit card, and always get the discount at the truck pumps at both Pilot and Flying J truck stops (does not work at Road Ranger with Pilot diesel). I usually go to the truck lanes unless I know for sure they have special RV lanes. Save worry's about maneuvering thru with a toad. One big reason I hate going to Love's truck stops, is that I have to go into the fuel desk and get a preauthorization to use my Visa card. I asked and even with their Loves card, it would be the same hassle. I also use the GS membership card to fuel the toad. I also like the discount at CGs that give it.
Only time I didn't get the P/FJ discount was in Wisconsin, I think. Clerk said it was a statewide rule against it.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
After using the Good Sam Trip Planner for a year or so, I switched to RVTW. I like the way it works, better.

BTW, I recently received an email from GS that they are replacing the GS trip Planner sometime in April 2019, supposedly better and new functionality. They recommend saving trip info offline (PDF?) as they wont be converting any old trips you may have saved.

I'll wait and see what it's like.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:27 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
After using the Good Sam Trip Planner for a year or so, I switched to RVTW. I like the way it works, better.

BTW, I recently received an email from GS that they are replacing the GS trip Planner sometime in April 2019, supposedly better and new functionality. They recommend saving trip info offline (PDF?) as they wont be converting any old trips you may have saved.

I'll wait and see what it's like.

That's not quite true .... GS is discontinuing the Trip Planner in April ... it will be replaced SOMEDAY. There will be a gap with no planner available.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcolby View Post
With the demise (interruption) of the Good Sam tool, is RV Trip Wizard the only game in town? The Trip Planner goes away mid-April with no relaunch date mentioned. Is there any reason to stay with GS after this?

I have a Kindle and a PC, no "smart"phone.

Tom

Tom,
I have probably tried most of the tools out there. And when it comes to RV Trip planning, nothing compares to what you can do with RVTripWizard. It is dedicated to those of use who like the great outdoors. From tents, trailers, 5th wheels, to motor coaches, it will help you plan your trip with everything from fuel stops to campgrounds. If you have any kind of access to the internet while on the road, you can access RVTW. You can send your trip to your email address, to access or print out your itinerary. I like planning ahead and RVTW is a great tool.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard