Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #1

RV Wizard gas stops

Does the rv wizard gas stops and poi stops take into account your're driving an rv? I know you can input the height of your rig and low bridges are under hazards but I'm not confident the gas stations take into account the length for easy turning. Does anyone's have experience with this? And if it doesn't what app do,you use, thanks!
Love2frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

RVTW estimates when you need gas, does not tell you a specific station. Same with POIs.

I usually look up stations on Google Maps and see if they look like I can get in. It is always a question until you get there unless you use Flying J or Pilot with RV lanes. Even then a car can be parked and block you in. You can do the same thing with POIs.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:12 AM   #3

I mainly use FJ for my fuel stops and I have it checked in my POI to plan out my fuel stops. My map and my printed route shows these where I can plan on where to get my fuel in advance.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just one other comment. Above responders nailed it with their comments. You should be aware also that this gas station functionality supports mostly interstate travel planning. Once you get off the interstates, the station listings drop off radically. So if your travel takes you on US and State routes, you're going to have to find most of them on your own.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Just one other comment. Above responders nailed it with their comments. You should be aware also that this gas station functionality supports mostly interstate travel planning. Once you get off the interstates, the station listings drop off radically. So if your travel takes you on US and State routes, you're going to have to find most of them on your own.
We like to avoid heavy-traffic interstates and found that Mike and other responders are correct. Finding gas stations on back roads is not an easy process. We pull a toad with a 27 ft motorhome with 40+ foot length so our compatible gas stations are scarce. We estimate that one in five stations can accommodate us, but there are limited tools to find the one in five. We use Google Maps and look to see if gas pumps are parallel to the building first of all. If there is a parallel configuration we next look for a street view to see if there is a clear entry and exit to a station. If both criteria are met we pull up to a potential station slowly to see if the station is really a "pull through" or a "mouse trap". Gas station selection criteria is a fertile ground for Trip Wizard planning tools. Even if TW could do the first screen, gas pumps parallel to building, that would be a big help in fuel stop planning. Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #6

Thank you for everyone's input! I'm heading on a trip out west to areas I'm unfamiliar with so I was looking for an app that would help me pick gas station's that aren't "mouse traps". Sounds like Flying J/Pilot is going to be my best bet and not to let the fuel get to low in case I need to move on to another station!
Love2frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Is anyone using Allstays Pro for gas station locations and compatibility?

Thanks,
Harv
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I presume you are gas vs diesel. If yes, you will still need to check configuration of both Flying J/Pilot stations. Most Pilots have gas lanes perpendicular to the store building. Not all Flying J's have RV Lanes. You can go to the Pilot website and download a spreadsheet with each station's attributes, or you can download the Pilot/Flying J app to get the same.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

It is best to get into the habit of driving on the top half of your tank.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure would be nice if it showed gas stops on some secondary roads - it shows absolutely nothing on Hwy 50 from Richfield, Utah to Fernley, Nevada - a distance of 497 miles. I know Hwy 50 is called the Loneliest Road In America, but I find it hard to believe that there are no gas stations in places like Ely, Nevada!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
<snip> I know Hwy 50 is called the Loneliest Road In America, but I find it hard to believe that there are no gas stations in places like Ely, Nevada!

Looks like lots of gas in Ely, NV.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=ely%2C%20nv&fuel=1
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #12

RV Trip Wizard
missing fuel stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Sure would be nice if it showed gas stops on some secondary roads - it shows absolutely nothing on Hwy 50 from Richfield, Utah to Fernley, Nevada - a distance of 497 miles. I know Hwy 50 is called the Loneliest Road In America, but I find it hard to believe that there are no gas stations in places like Ely, Nevada!
No stations showing in Beatty, NV or in Hawthorne, NV either.
Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
No stations showing in Beatty, NV or in Hawthorne, NV either.

Not sure what program you are using that doesn't show gas stations in Beatty, NV.

Arco in Beaty:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/11880

Eddie's World in Beatty: (has diesel also)
https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/19245
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Not sure what program you are using that doesn't show gas stations in Beatty, NV.

Arco in Beaty:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/11880

Eddie's World in Beatty: (has diesel also)
https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/19245
Uumm... I think this thread started regarding and is talking about RVTW.

Tags
gas