Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #1

RVTW Routing Criteria

May I tell my wife that RVTW generated routes are RV friendly?

We are leaving West Yellowstone next week for Banff via Glacier NP. She is worried that some of the roads along the RVTW route might be white knuckle for her.

We are not newbies but she tends to fret a little at times.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Currently RV Trip Wizard only warns you about low clearances and lets you route around them. There is an upgrade coming very soon that is supposed to be RV Friendly and take height, weight, length, and propane status into consideration and route an RV Safe route for you automatically. I think it's probably only a week or two away.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

The RV LIfe App(new recently) which is part of the same corporation has this available. No matter what an app says it does I would take it all with a large grain of salt and verify.

What is OK for one person is not OK for another so I don't see how an app can do what you want.

If you get onto a road that she is uncomfortable on and she is driving, take over the driving for that road.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Welcome.

The addition of RV size criteria to RVTW, as mentioned above, will add to your route confidence, but it’s not there right now.

I’ve found that, even using a GPS-based, RV specific nav system, it’s a good idea to “fly” the non-interstate part of the route I’m going to be driving using Google maps in satellite mode. I look specifically for tight turns and switchbacks and sections of the route that might expand out to 4 lanes. I also look for the presence of semi trailer trucks that might have been on the route when the satellite photos were taken; if there are trucks my confidence level goes up.

Flying the route also allows me to double check that the route takes me to exactly the right destination and not just close because the nav software couldn’t resolve the address.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

You might want to get the RM Truckers

Atlas.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #6

Great answers. Thanks.

So, what criteria does RVTW use for going from A to B? Shortest distance, mostly freeways, scenic, Google Directions?

The routes that I have seen so far and used since having the app were just fine.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Per an email, I had this week from RV Life support, the RV routing they are using in the new app is coming to RV Trip Wizard in the next few weeks. They told me they are still using Google Maps [right now] for the maps, but not Google routing, in preparation for the upcoming changeover.

If anyone is interested in the new RV Life App GPS and Campgrounds, you get a discount for being an RV Trip Wizard subscriber.

Let's hope we see a new RV Trip Wizard update in the very near future!
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Saw mention above of "coming soon" with respect to RV Trip Wizard taking *weight* into account. That post was 6/19/2019, and it's now 10/2/2019. Today I discovered that RV Trip Wizard was routing me one way (on Buford Dam Road near Lake Lanier in Georgia), but my Garmin kept warning me about a 6-ton bridge ahead (my RV is about 15 tons). I wasn't sure which to believe, and I really *wanted* to go the RV Trip Wizard route. But when I reached the actual SIGN in the road telling me there was a 6-ton bridge ahead, I figured I'd better turn around.

So...anyone know about the status of RV Trip Wizard taking *weight* into account? Is it supposed to be doing that already? Do I need an update? I just updated the software to the latest two days ago (or at least it *claims* I've got the latest).

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:51 AM   #9

I can't comment on RVTW routing taking into account weight limit bridges, but I can with Garmin. Three times my Garmin RV-660 warned me about a bridge or bridges that were not weight certified for my RV. All 3 times the GPS was using old data. The first 2 times I called the CG and both times they told me the bridge leading to their CG had been upgraded years ago. The third time, a few weeks ago, I ignored the GPS re-routing due to a weight limited bridge (the road with the bridge was leading to the CG, my destination) and upon approaching the bridge I saw no signs limiting the weight on the bridge. My GPS maps were updated about a year ago.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

All of those features should be active. Can you confirm your trip was set to RV Routing?
I'd love to know exactly where that bridge is to do some testing myself.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
RV LIFE Support Team

We just went to Cedar Breaks and the road the info center is on has a 26000 lb limit. That should work for testing.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Thanks Sue. I tested this and RV Trip Wizard would NOT route me down the 148 through Cedar Breaks until I dropped my RV weight to 21,000lbs.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

I would think Tim will reply soon. He was up in Alaska the same time I was, about 2 weeks behind me. We are still working our way back so he is also.

Alaska is one long, hard trip.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #14

My comment about bridge weight warnings was with my Garmin GPS RV 660. It has warned me 3 times when no restriction existed. Earlier this month in IL returning from AK, my GPS routed me around a bridge that had be upgraded.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote