Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 05:05 AM   #1

RVTW, Your Opinions

So what is everyones opinion about RV Trip Wizard? On my last trip we ran both it and google maps. I found out if you tried to transfer info fro Trip wizard to google it was only way points and google picked whatever it wanted. Trip wizard showed what appeared to be different routes but wasn't. Just very poor road names and turn by turn. On only one road did it get me out of trouble. My wife turned a corner following google maps and immediately stopped for a sign saying 8'-6" maximum. We switched seats and she got out and watched for traffic while I backed onto the road we just turned off of. Google maps kept trying to turn me back to that same road but trip wizard guided me back to the main road. If it wasn't so kludgy and poor with directions I'd use it. Anyone else? Still haven't tried anything else. Suggestions?
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Just got back from a 4,000 mi r/t from Austin to north of Eureka, via SoCal. I planned with RVTW. I didn't depend on the wizard's navigation but instead used it to plan trip segments and way-points using user ratings. Once on the road, we used Google Maps. I guess the key is to pay attention during planning and if Google Maps deviates significantly you'd try to note it and plan for it. But, I don't think I have a clear-cut answer. Our trip ended up pretty well with this method.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have relied on RV Life and RVTW exclusively for the last year. I’ve not had a problem with it. Set your parameters correctly and you’re good to go.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #4

I used RVTW to find and reserve campsites for this 4400 mile trip I'm on. I use Waze or Google Maps for the daily routing and directions.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather
I used RVTW to find and reserve campsites for this 4400 mile trip I'm on. I use Waze or Google Maps for the daily routing and directions.
Similar here. I plan all my trips with RVTW and use it to find overnight stops. The included full access to Campground Reviews is also very helpful. RV Life is worthless to me except for looking up saved RVTW trips if I'm away from the laptop.

Routing is done with a Garmin RV 785 GPS with Waze running for notification of realtime traffic issues but Waze is not relied on for normal routing.

The GPX export file only includes waypoints, never routing. It's up to the device getting the GPX file to determine the routing. It's just how GPX files work.

They're all just tools and each one has its strengths and weaknesses.

Ray
Old 10-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

I use Garmin Basecamp to build my routes and then download them to my Garmin RV760. The RV760 will still try to calculate the route and ignore the actual route I downloaded to it. To get around this, I have to add “share points” throughout the route in Basecamp and then download to the RV760 again. Sometimes it take a few tries to get what I want out the the RV760, but usually works out good. Just got back from a 2500 mile trip and had no issues.

Basecamp definitely has a learning curve, but once you get it it works pretty good.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #7

We switched to RVTW this year and ran it in parallel with RVParky (RVP) on a 6 month 9500 mile trip to see the Great Mississippi River road. Currently RVP is still superior in the core usability functions for planning trips. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that RVTW has, but most of them are just "nice to have", not must have things that you use everyday. RVTW is way more difficult to use as a true planner for going places you have never been before. The core application doesn't want you to map out destinations, then go back and find specific campgrounds. Its setup to pick the campground you will stay at each destination and then if you decide to change that after doing your campground research, you must delete that stop and pick another, during that, you need to decide where to put that stop in the list again as it defaults to putting it after last stop on your trip. A kludge at best, but prior to me purchasing the subscription I was assured that core functionality would be fixed to work more like RVP which allows you to pick a place to go, like a point on the map, a town, valley or gps location to make your route and later on go back to that entry and pick a campground or even change an existing campground for another one on the fly, no deletions or anything other than just picking the new place from a map or listings. Once RVTW modifies that basic core functionality, it should be (if done correctly) the only tool to use for trip planning from then on. Now, to get to the routing, I currently used it for planning the next drive, but not for driving it. I still use Google Maps (GM) and I just create "waypoints" on the google directions to force it to go the way that looks best from the RVTW RV directions or from the Rand McNally Truck map. It worked for me. I didn't bother doing the export yet. Maybe I will test that over the winter while doing the punch list from this summers trip. -Bill

Here is our trip from last summer.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/app/vis...hSczZyS3R1UT09

PS. I do love the new Cell Speed Test integrated into the RVLife App and now the ability to run the speed test from the Campground Reviews Website too. Sure wish everyone would do those, as that has the potential to be the defining tool for picking a campground when you must have connectivity for some reason. (like a zoom call or something else)
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP 8.9L 1.5kw roof Solar, 2@ Victron 50amp MPPT, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, Vmspec, 8.7kw Renogy LiFePo4, 19' GE RR, MS2812, 400w Suitcase & Victron 100/30 MPPT Max Transit Cellular Router, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi 6 AP's.
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Same as others. I use Trip Wizzard to plan and find stops. Garmin, McNally and Google maps, usally some two combo to route. For the most part very happy and pleased with things. From a planning point I have not looked but would think Trip Wizzard it going to be hard to beat. Maybe because I have used it for the last year, with half a dozen trips over 12k miles. I know or at least think I know how to make it work for me.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #9

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Red face

No doubt for me anyway the RVTW is a great tool for planning trips however, there has been a big learning curve as IMHO I feel I have to keep going between the planning tool and the next stop direction tool.
One example is if I wish to plan another trip is; you must open a planned trip to get to the option of “Open an existing trip” for the menu of planning a new trip .
I wish I could explain better but I do not want this to look like a rant. With every update it does seem to get better combining all these Apps has got to be a daunting undertaking.

This is what I have learned:
Think of RVTW and RV Life as two separate tools.

The route guidance works great with Apple Car Play once the RV Life App is installed on the Ford Sync 3 version. Open the App on Sync and then open the RVTW on my Apple phone (currently tethering haven’t tried the Bluetooth) and the trip is project onto the vehicle screen.

Call up the trip under “Manage the trip” and highlight the next stop, tap on the red directional arrow to the right of that stop and follow the route making sure I do not have any other guidance system running in the background. A shout out to CaptainGizzmo.
I do wish there was a way to pause the the routing for the times when deviating off route for fuel or break time.

The RV safe routing option works better for me, when I tried using the “Use another Routing map” like Google Map things got weird especially when deviating from the planned route. Google Maps routed me toward a 7’ 6” bridge ONCE!

For now this is my go to route guidance and trip planning tool. Love the driving radius feature for planning fuel stops but does require coming out of the guidance to see the radius feature.

I will use Truck Maps on my wife’s phone separate from Car Play to look forward for rest areas, fueling points, overnight parking and dump stations also as a route verification. The App is free and vehicle parameters can be programmed in.
2017 F-250 Short Bed 6.7 2019 Reflection 150 273 MK, Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, 6 stack 4500 lb leaf springs, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch,SoftStart A/C, May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #10

We've been using TW and the app for a couple of years. Generally good but multiple small issues. In short a hair above the competition!

What I call the National Park issue bugs me a lot as we aim for NPS sites. NPs don't allow commercial vehicles and TW seems to think that's us, so it routes around, with ridiculous results.

A tempting feature of other planners is finding interesting places along the route. Museums, historical sites, non-camp parks and whatever. Not how to go, but WHY to go THERE.

We've never been sent down a bad road, but we've been told to avoid some very good ones!
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:44 AM   #11

I have been using RVTW for several years and the RVLife App for two years now. We have a summer place in the VA mountains and the routes they try to send us on are NOT class A RV friendly. We generally advise a much easier, and shorter, route to people coming to visit our park.
But for the most part, the suggested routes are OK, but worth double checking by other sources.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #12

We've used RVTW for two years. We use it as a trip planner for major routes and campground selections. We also check routes with a Rand McNally map. When driving we have used WAZE but are now testing Google Maps. Left Good SAM planner when they changed to new system and didn't bother supplying us with all the previous features.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvtw