Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2021, 09:50 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I received a response from RVLife concerning not seeing my RVTW trips in RVLife. I needed to logout of the app and login again. I logged out, closed the app, opened the app, and logged in. My trips all showed up and I was able to open one as a test.

Don't know if this will work for you but worth a try.

On the Android app at the bottom of the opening screen is a re banner saying Campground Map. Tap this banner and a menu comes up. Select RV Trip Wizard. If you are signed in you should see your trips; if not signed in you will be ask to sign in and then your trips should show.

Happy travels!
Thanks, George & Karen! The thing is, I was able to see my trips when I opened the RVLife GPS app on my phone; it just wouldn't load the actual route on the map that I had laid out (and could see just fine) on my laptop in the RVTW app. I click on the trip in the RVLife app, click on Start Directions to First Stop, and then click on View RV Friendly Directions. But every time (tonight, too), it starts "Building Routes" and then comes back with a message that says "No Route Found with Current Avoidances." The only avoidance I have is to avoid dirt roads--I know that shouldn't be an issue for getting to the DMV office.

I, too, will open a support ticket for this issue and see what they can tell me.
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Often times the road to the rv parks are dirt. Try turning that restriction off and see what happens.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:14 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
Often times the road to the rv parks are dirt. Try turning that restriction off and see what happens.
I could see that and would definitely turn that avoidance setting off if I were going somewhere unfamiliar and that might have unpaved roads. But this trip was to our local (10 miles away) DMV and the route is paved all the way there and back.

Still, I did try turning that off to see if it mattered and it didn't -- the app still continued to tell me that avoidances are preventing the map from loading and it gave me the option to let it load an alternate RV friendly route. I let it do that but the only map that came up was a map of Vancouver! (I'm in California.) And it didn't have any route on the map--even when I manually repositioned the map to my route. It flat won't work.

And, so far, I'm not impressed by the RVTW support team. They did reply fairly prompty, which was nice after I sent the email but the only thing the first person said was to uninstall and reinstall the RVLife app. So I tried that but it made no difference. I replied to her/the support team with that info and a second person reached out (again fairly promptly) and said they downloaded my trip on their app and it worked so I'm guessing they don't think the problem is on their end. He, too, had only one suggestion--that I should try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

I replied to the second person with additional details and told him that I had already done that--twice now but I never heard back from anyone since then (this morning). I'm hoping someone will reach out with more info or an offer to walk through it with me by phone (to verify that the issue is with the app or to identify what I'm doing wrong) but based on the first two responses and the dozen hours that have passed since then, I'm not holding my breath.
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thought I would post an update to this issue...

The second support person did reach out again on Jan. 7 to tell me that he had originally loaded my problematic route in his iPhone and had no issues so, based on the info I sent him about my own phone, he loaded the route into an Android phone and had the same problems as I'm having. (::whew!:: So I'm *NOT* crazy! =)

So he told me that he forwarded/opened a Support ticket with the DEV team that develops and maintains the RVTW app itself--so there's still a chance this might get fixed.

As for the delayed replies, it seems that maybe their support team is across the pond somewhere and so the time zone difference results in a "one-exchange-per-day" problem. I'm not in a hurry so I guess that's not too big a deal but I've not heard back from anyone with an update or a fix, now, in more than 10 days since that last email from them. Makes me wonder if the "DEV" team ever saw the case or, if so, if they're even looking into it.

I guess time will tell but I'm still not holding my breath...
Old 01-19-2021, 04:32 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVJandJ63 View Post
Thought I would post an update to this issue...
Thanks for the update..... It is always nice to hear how things are going for someone after their initial post.

Sorry to hear the customer support through RVLife is not the best. I have never followed who owned what - but back when I first got RVTW the help line - helped! When I first downloaded, I had questions as everyone does and emailed RVTW on a weekend. I get a response back within a couple hours - on the weekend!!

Camp Ground Reviews use to be known as RV Park Reviews. Again, I sent reviews in and spoke with admin personnel in real time...

I may be wrong, perhaps someone can correct me, but I was under the impression RV Park Reviews & RVTW was separately owned by perhaps individuals who wrote some code and turned it into a commercial venture.

The all of a sudden RV Park Reviews & RVTW were owned by the same company, not sure if it was RVLife?? I do know, RVLife redesigned RV Park Reviews and became Campground Reviews - I believe it is more "clumsy" to use. RV Park Reviews was spot on - direct - and easy to navigate.

Many times when small companies are bought out by larger firms - it is not always better.

It sounds like you are on the right path - take a day at a time - see what works, what is comfortable.

I didn't mention in my first post but I use a Garmin RV GPS. I was using a Garmin 760 and just bought a 890. I am looking forward to upgraded features like Wifi enabled. So with the GPS - iPad with Waze - Pilot/Flying J RV station list - AAA Trip Tik - I am probably over planned.......LOL!! If I had a dime for every time I said to my subordinate soldiers, "If you fail to plan - you plan to fail" I'd be a rich man....LOL

One question - Do you feel comfortable driving you rig?? You have a 40' rig & toad (towed) 50'+. There are many You Tube videos that can give you lessons and theory. If you are fully qualified to drive your rig - my apologies.

Go have fun - enjoy your rig - be safe - take care.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Thanks for the update..... It is always nice to hear how things are going for someone after their initial post.

Sorry to hear the customer support through RVLife is not the best. I have never followed who owned what - but back when I first got RVTW the help line - helped! When I first downloaded, I had questions as everyone does and emailed RVTW on a weekend. I get a response back within a couple hours - on the weekend!!

Camp Ground Reviews use to be known as RV Park Reviews. Again, I sent reviews in and spoke with admin personnel in real time...

I may be wrong, perhaps someone can correct me, but I was under the impression RV Park Reviews & RVTW was separately owned by perhaps individuals who wrote some code and turned it into a commercial venture.

The all of a sudden RV Park Reviews & RVTW were owned by the same company, not sure if it was RVLife?? I do know, RVLife redesigned RV Park Reviews and became Campground Reviews - I believe it is more "clumsy" to use. RV Park Reviews was spot on - direct - and easy to navigate.

Many times when small companies are bought out by larger firms - it is not always better.

It sounds like you are on the right path - take a day at a time - see what works, what is comfortable.

I didn't mention in my first post but I use a Garmin RV GPS. I was using a Garmin 760 and just bought a 890. I am looking forward to upgraded features like Wifi enabled. So with the GPS - iPad with Waze - Pilot/Flying J RV station list - AAA Trip Tik - I am probably over planned.......LOL!! If I had a dime for every time I said to my subordinate soldiers, "If you fail to plan - you plan to fail" I'd be a rich man....LOL

One question - Do you feel comfortable driving you rig?? You have a 40' rig & toad (towed) 50'+. There are many You Tube videos that can give you lessons and theory. If you are fully qualified to drive your rig - my apologies.

Go have fun - enjoy your rig - be safe - take care.

g
Thanks for the background and the info. I will look into the Garmin units soon, figure out which one is the best fit on our dash/instrument panel, and go from there.

As for driving my rig... driving something larger than a large SUV with a trailer is definitely new to me and I thought I might be overwhelmed by it. But after the first 15-20 minutes of driving after we picked it up, I felt pretty relaxed and was very confident by the end of that 400+ mile drive home! I got some pretty good tips from my buddy who drives a transit bus here in town so that helped, too. And the Comfort Control in the Newmar is amazing! It rides really well, too! And it quickly became apparent that other vehicles (except other rigs/semis) avoid you for the most part so there's not much to worry about when occasionally riding the bumps unless the traffic is really thick (and it's usually moving much slower when it is).

I have searched for driving tips and videos and have watched a few that were helpful but most were pretty vanilla. The biggest lesson I've learned so far is that there are FOUR corners when backing up and there are SIX sides (front, rear, left, right, under, and over) and losing track of any of those 10 things will cost about $1,000 and some physical effort to replace a mirror that you catch on a pole in front of you while backing into your storage space. It was really painful to do that at the end of that very first day (only 40' from being parked after a 400+ mile trip!). That certainly taught me a lot in a hurry! =)

I'll look for more driving videos and tips in between projects but if you know of any you thought were especially helpful, please do send them my way!

Thanks!
--Bill
Old 01-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVJandJ63 View Post
I'll look for more driving videos and tips in between projects but if you know of any you thought were especially helpful, please do send them my way!

Thanks!
--Bill
Bill - - sounds like you have it going on......

Backing up - if possible - always have a helper. Your rig has a back up camera with voice, bit only in the immediate vicinity of the camera - we sometimes use cell phone to communicate with driver & helper. Commo is important.

6 sides - - - you got that straight - - - always watch for low hanging branches at camp grounds.....

One last thing I can think of. Many of us ride in the right lane of an Interstate as we may be slower than other traffic. One of the most dangerous places, in my view on the Interstate, is coming up on an exit ramp you are NOT exiting at.

We Americans hate to drive behind something that is slower than us and one we can't see around. This makes us "sling-shot" said slow vehicle as we approach an exit ramp. So they speed up - get around you, the exit ramp is right there. So naturally they have to hit the brakes, hard, to slow down to "exit!" Meantime, here you are at 65-70mph with someone braking, hard, immediately in front of you......it gets your attention.

You will be amazed at what you will see out your front window.......

Drive defensively.......

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Bill - - sounds like you have it going on......

Backing up - if possible - always have a helper. Your rig has a back up camera with voice, bit only in the immediate vicinity of the camera - we sometimes use cell phone to communicate with driver & helper. Commo is important.
Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Sir! I did purchase a pair of walkies to make sure that I can communicate well with my wife even when we don't have a cell signal. Hey, BTW: I see people refer to their SO as "the DW"... is that "dear wife?" Or some other meaning that I haven't stumbled on, yet?

Quote:
6 sides - - - you got that straight - - - always watch for low hanging branches at camp grounds.....

One last thing I can think of. Many of us ride in the right lane of an Interstate as we may be slower than other traffic. One of the most dangerous places, in my view on the Interstate, is coming up on an exit ramp you are NOT exiting at.

We Americans hate to drive behind something that is slower than us and one we can't see around. This makes us "sling-shot" said slow vehicle as we approach an exit ramp. So they speed up - get around you, the exit ramp is right there. So naturally they have to hit the brakes, hard, to slow down to "exit!" Meantime, here you are at 65-70mph with someone braking, hard, immediately in front of you......it gets your attention.

You will be amazed at what you will see out your front window.......

Drive defensively.......

g
I have heard horror stories from my brother-in-law who used to drive big rigs (moving and showcase stuff) but I'm sure it's even worse when it happens to you. In fact, based on yours and other's input, I just purchased the Garmin 785 so I'm not trying to use my phone for directions and it has a built-in dash cam so if something does get squirrely in front of me, I hope to at least have evidence that "it was the other guy!"

Thanks again for your input, Glenn!

Tags
rv trip wizard, rvtw, trip wizard