Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 163
Question Sanity check?

Hi folks:


My wife and I are new to the RV world but very excited to get rolling! I purchased the RV Trip Wizard app/membership before we even had our RV believing that it was going to be an invaluable tool for our trips. However, I've had some trouble getting it to operate as expected even after viewing several "how to" videos and reading through the help and some posts. Maybe someone here can help set us straight?


I needed to drive our "new" (2009) 40' Newmar Ventana to our local DMV the other day for a VIN verification. So there was no need for campgrounds, fuel stops, or anything else other than our starting point (home), the DMV, and back home again. I set this all up on my laptop as recommended but I couldn't for the life of me get this to load on my phone with the GPS app after I finished creating the trip. I don't think I need to "send it" to myself, right? No need to export--just log in on the RVLife app and the trip is there (which it was). But no matter how many times I tried to open the trip in my RVLife app, it kept telling me that there was no routes available due to my filters (but the only filter I had on was to avoid dirt roads; and I turned that off momentarily to see if it would make a difference--it did not).


Any ideas what I was doing wrong (or not doing) to get my trip and RV route on my RVLife GPS app on my phone?


Thanks!
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 20,604
Blog Entries: 21
Trip Wizard is not exactly intuitive and takes some learning. I have been using it for a couple of years and every time they do an update, I have a new learning curve as some of the features have changed.

Be patient and experiment, setting up make believe trips and make changes. I have never had any luck getting it to work well on my phone.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Trip Wizard is not exactly intuitive and takes some learning. I have been using it for a couple of years and every time they do an update, I have a new learning curve as some of the features have changed.

Be patient and experiment, setting up make believe trips and make changes. I have never had any luck getting it to work well on my phone.

Ken

Thanks for the quick response, Ken! And for the confirmation that I'm not simply overmatched by a software app. ;-) The odd thing is that I set up a trip when we took possession of our RV down in Palm Springs and was able to set up the route to get us back to Modesto (our storage site), including a stop for fuel along the way, and it worked on my phone to perfection when I accessed the trip from there so that I could use the RVLife GPS app. But I spent 10 minutes futzing around with it for this 10-minute trip to DMV and had no luck at all--finally gave up and used Waze (although that won't help us avoid 40-foot RV obstacles!).



But I will keep playing with it, for sure. Thanks again!
--Bill
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
pbucha's Avatar




Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ft.Worth, TX.
Posts: 630
If you give the support team the name of the trip in question, they can check/test it to see what might be going on. Did you put in accurate RV information into the app? I've heard of folks inflating the actual RV height "just to be safe" and then no route could be found.
__________________
2015 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH - All Electric w/tag
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
pbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Indy Glenn's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,616
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
If you give the support team the name of the trip in question, they can check/test it to see what might be going on. Did you put in accurate RV information into the app? I've heard of folks inflating the actual RV height "just to be safe" and then no route could be found.
I'll have to agree.......the support team is excellent and will correct any issues, if need be.

Let me add, you did the right thing in regards to getting the RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) - it is an invaluable tool to help planning an RV trip.

I just use it to plan, I do not download anything to my devices. I use a Garmin 760 RV GPS in the rig, which is my go to when actually moving down the road. There is an option, I believe to download the RVTW trip onto the Garmin. I have not done this.

The Trip Wizard is great to plan long trips and actually plan a trip per miles wanting to travel and what's there when you get there. Camp grounds, fuel stations along the way, sites to see.

There is also a app & web site called, Camp Ground Reviews. They are owned by the same company and give you some good info on the camp ground you are looking at. I believe one of the changes to RVTW was to link you to Camp Ground Reviews as you plan......

Yes - there is a learning curve with RVTW, but the benefits are well worth it.

I am a planner from hell, an old occupation hazard, there are so many apps & web sites to help you, here are a couple:

Good Sam web site has a trip planner for members.

Pilot/Flying J has a trip planner on their web site, you can plan your fuel stops if you use either of these stations. They also give a discount to Good Sam members.

AAA: Once you have your trip planned, you can get on the AAA web site and using the Trip Tik option, print out your custom trip in a page by page map. It's a great back up for when your getting to your exit and want to see the actual lay out of the exit.....helps in some cases. These Trip Tiks are NOT rv friendly.

Waze, I have started to run Waze on my iPad. Not for trip planning but for warnings. Waze will notify you of accidents, construction, a hazard in the road, police, etc. Gives you a great look ahead. NOT rv friendly.

Being new to the rv world, welcome to the family. Always remember, what is said here is all subjective to the author - but a great learning and advice tool. See what works for you!

Happy New Year,

g
__________________
Angie & Glenn and Haddington the Airedale pup.
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Boston,ma
Posts: 780
I also use RV Trip Wizard for planning and my Garmin for actual navigation. Never tried downloading to my phone.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 163
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I'll have to agree.......the support team is excellent and will correct any issues, if need be.

Let me add, you did the right thing in regards to getting the RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) - it is an invaluable tool to help planning an RV trip.

I just use it to plan, I do not download anything to my devices. I use a Garmin 760 RV GPS in the rig, which is my go to when actually moving down the road. There is an option, I believe to download the RVTW trip onto the Garmin. I have not done this.

The Trip Wizard is great to plan long trips and actually plan a trip per miles wanting to travel and what's there when you get there. Camp grounds, fuel stations along the way, sites to see.

There is also a app & web site called, Camp Ground Reviews. They are owned by the same company and give you some good info on the camp ground you are looking at. I believe one of the changes to RVTW was to link you to Camp Ground Reviews as you plan......

Yes - there is a learning curve with RVTW, but the benefits are well worth it.

I am a planner from hell, an old occupation hazard, there are so many apps & web sites to help you, here are a couple:

Good Sam web site has a trip planner for members.

Pilot/Flying J has a trip planner on their web site, you can plan your fuel stops if you use either of these stations. They also give a discount to Good Sam members.

AAA: Once you have your trip planned, you can get on the AAA web site and using the Trip Tik option, print out your custom trip in a page by page map. It's a great back up for when your getting to your exit and want to see the actual lay out of the exit.....helps in some cases. These Trip Tiks are NOT rv friendly.

Waze, I have started to run Waze on my iPad. Not for trip planning but for warnings. Waze will notify you of accidents, construction, a hazard in the road, police, etc. Gives you a great look ahead. NOT rv friendly.

Being new to the rv world, welcome to the family. Always remember, what is said here is all subjective to the author - but a great learning and advice tool. See what works for you!

Happy New Year,

g

Thanks, Glenn (& Angie)! Great input! I do live & swear by Waze and have for many years as a 4-hour/day commuter--I love it! Very accurate for arrival times and great "heads up" notifications, as you mentioned. But I do realize that there is no "RV" setting that will help you ensure a safe route for your RV so that is only a backup when in the RV.

I did see the export option in RVTW and I've considered repurposing my old Garmin for the RV if I can download from RVTW--it would be nice to have a dedicated GPS instead of using my phone. Or are there better/more RV-specific versions of Garmin or other GPS devices that folks use in their RVs?

I'll also keep the AAA Trip Tik option in mind... sounds helpful! As for fuel, I have the TSD card so I try to use their (EFS) app and the RVTW app to determine the best deal for fuel along my route. That, too, seems to be a little difficult to navigate--couldn't find the matching fuel station in RVTW after I identified the best one on the EFS app--addresses didn't match (but it still got me nearly $0.50 off on that first fill-up when I got there!

I've also poked around the Campground Reviews site--so far, it seems very useful. But we haven't actually started planning a trip, yet (haven't decided about Thousand Trails membership, yet), so I haven't spent much time there but thanks for the reminder! To this point, it's been information overload! But we will keep digging until we've got it down.

Thanks again for the input! Hope to run in to you (figuratively of course) at some point down the road. Happy New Year!
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I also use RV Trip Wizard for planning and my Garmin for actual navigation. Never tried downloading to my phone.

Thanks, Roy! I asked in my reply to Glenn, too, but maybe you'll have some input, too... are there preferred Garmin or other dedicated GPS units that are made specifically for RVs? Something where you can input your rig details like you can on RVTW? (And without replacing the stereo/head unit in the dash?)
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVJandJ63 View Post
Thanks, Roy! I asked in my reply to Glenn, too, but maybe you'll have some input, too... are there preferred Garmin or other dedicated GPS units that are made specifically for RVs? Something where you can input your rig details like you can on RVTW? (And without replacing the stereo/head unit in the dash?)
Yes, Garmin and Rand Mcnally make RV specific GPS units that you should check out. I have a Garmin 770 (2 years old now) for my RV that I use and like. There are many threads on here about RV GPS unit that you can investigate.
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2018 Chevy Malibu
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
Senior Member




 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVJandJ63 View Post
Hi folks:


My wife and I are new to the RV world but very excited to get rolling! I purchased the RV Trip Wizard app/membership before we even had our RV believing that it was going to be an invaluable tool for our trips. However, I've had some trouble getting it to operate as expected even after viewing several "how to" videos and reading through the help and some posts. Maybe someone here can help set us straight?


I needed to drive our "new" (2009) 40' Newmar Ventana to our local DMV the other day for a VIN verification. So there was no need for campgrounds, fuel stops, or anything else other than our starting point (home), the DMV, and back home again. I set this all up on my laptop as recommended but I couldn't for the life of me get this to load on my phone with the GPS app after I finished creating the trip. I don't think I need to "send it" to myself, right? No need to export--just log in on the RVLife app and the trip is there (which it was). But no matter how many times I tried to open the trip in my RVLife app, it kept telling me that there was no routes available due to my filters (but the only filter I had on was to avoid dirt roads; and I turned that off momentarily to see if it would make a difference--it did not).


Any ideas what I was doing wrong (or not doing) to get my trip and RV route on my RVLife GPS app on my phone?


Thanks!
Doesn't look like you are doing anything wrong. I just tried RVLife on my android phone and I can not find anyway to access my trips in RVTW. I have used both of these apps pretty much from their beginning and have found RVTW to be very good but have often struggled with RVLife. I export the trip to my Rand McNally GPS, which is built in. I like the 10" screen. You need to be aware that except for RVLife, when you export to a GPS system the route will be recalculated and may not the same as you planned. You can add waypoints to the RVTW to force the other GPS systems to follow your intended route. Kind of a nuisance sometimes but it works.

As far as the RVLife problem I would suggest sending a trouble ticket. I am going to send one as soon as I send this.

George
__________________
George & Karen with 3 Border Collies
2015 Winnebago Journey 40R
2015 Ford C-Max
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Member




 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 193
I received a response from RVLife concerning not seeing my RVTW trips in RVLife. I needed to logout of the app and login again. I logged out, closed the app, opened the app, and logged in. My trips all showed up and I was able to open one as a test.

Don't know if this will work for you but worth a try.

On the Android app at the bottom of the opening screen is a re banner saying Campground Map. Tap this banner and a menu comes up. Select RV Trip Wizard. If you are signed in you should see your trips; if not signed in you will be ask to sign in and then your trips should show.

Happy travels!
__________________
George & Karen with 3 Border Collies
2015 Winnebago Journey 40R
2015 Ford C-Max
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 3,240
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVJandJ63 View Post
Hi folks:


My wife and I are new to the RV world but very excited to get rolling! I purchased the RV Trip Wizard app/membership before we even had our RV believing that it was going to be an invaluable tool for our trips. However, I've had some trouble getting it to operate as expected even after viewing several "how to" videos and reading through the help and some posts. Maybe someone here can help set us straight?


I needed to drive our "new" (2009) 40' Newmar Ventana to our local DMV the other day for a VIN verification. So there was no need for campgrounds, fuel stops, or anything else other than our starting point (home), the DMV, and back home again. I set this all up on my laptop as recommended but I couldn't for the life of me get this to load on my phone with the GPS app after I finished creating the trip. I don't think I need to "send it" to myself, right? No need to export--just log in on the RVLife app and the trip is there (which it was). But no matter how many times I tried to open the trip in my RVLife app, it kept telling me that there was no routes available due to my filters (but the only filter I had on was to avoid dirt roads; and I turned that off momentarily to see if it would make a difference--it did not).


Any ideas what I was doing wrong (or not doing) to get my trip and RV route on my RVLife GPS app on my phone?


Thanks!



I too don't get it. RVTW has its own forum because there are so many questions about the product. Navigation systems should be easy.
__________________
'04 Newmar MADP, 1100w of solar, towing a lifted Rubicon
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Yes, Garmin and Rand Mcnally make RV specific GPS units that you should check out. I have a Garmin 770 (2 years old now) for my RV that I use and like. There are many threads on here about RV GPS unit that you can investigate.
Thanks, Mike & Cindy! I think I will probably invest in one of these. And I've always been happy with my Garmin units for past trips and commuting. I'll also look for some threads with more tips before I pull the trigger but do you know off-hand if they offer the same type of filtering and way points that RVTW has? Although I'm hoping that I can export RVTW trips to whichever unit I purchase and then it won't matter much about locating things in the GPS unit. Still, it is very handy to be able to pull up rest stops, restaurants, and other points of interest that are along your route while you're enroute, which I was able to do very well on my Garmin; not so much on RVLife app after opening an RVTW trip. =)
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I too don't get it. RVTW has its own forum because there are so many questions about the product. Navigation systems should be easy.
Ain't that the truth! Things that make you go "Hmmm..."
BVJandJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rv trip wizard, rvtw, trip wizard



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sanity Check, need a second, third, forth pair of eyes to double check brocja01 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 11-04-2014 07:20 PM
Tire Pressure Sanity Check MandG-Fun Class A Motorhome Discussions 58 04-05-2013 02:40 PM
(In)sanity check Kwayzhar Full-Timers 6 07-22-2012 06:45 PM
Sanity check on cooling system fans bruceh Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 14 08-17-2011 06:22 PM
Sanity check on a Freelander 2600 SO? Scrib Class C Motorhome Discussions 10 04-28-2007 08:14 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.