RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #1

Starting Fuel is fixed

You can now enter partial tanks of fuel again in the Starting Fuel option.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

Hi. The app no longer crashes but the fill amount doesn’t update automatically. My expectation was that the fill amount would update dynamically as the route leading up to the stop changed.

I tested it by adding a stop for a fill, checked the box, then dragged the route before that to a ridiculous distance. The arrival fuel amount correctly calculated to a negative amount. Obviously I'd have at least 0 when I coasted into the station but that's not the issue. What I expected was for the refill amount to update to the max tank capacity. It didn't.

If that’s not what it's supposed to do, it doesn’t add much. I could already type “99” as a fill amount and the app would recalculate the maximum I could add, limited by the capacity of the tank. The problem is that it’s a one-time static calculation. Changing the route didn't change the fill amount. I thought the “fill tank” option would make updates automatically?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Hi. The app no longer crashes but the fill amount doesn’t update automatically. My expectation was that the fill amount would update dynamically as the route leading up to the stop changed.

I tested it by adding a stop for a fill, checked the box, then dragged the route before that to a ridiculous distance. The arrival fuel amount correctly calculated to a negative amount. Obviously I'd have at least 0 when I coasted into the station but that's not the issue. What I expected was for the refill amount to update to the max tank capacity. It didn't.

If that’s not what it's supposed to do, it doesn’t add much. I could already type “99” as a fill amount and the app would recalculate the maximum I could add, limited by the capacity of the tank. The problem is that it’s a one-time static calculation. Changing the route didn't change the fill amount. I thought the “fill tank” option would make updates automatically?
I think this Top Off Fuel button is designed to require the user's input. It's an easy, single click vs. number input to fill your tank, it's a feedback mechanism to verify what you've done, and the user's input is required to assure that he's not violated any pre-set constraints (such as more fuel upload than the capacity of your tank). A set and forget button, currently, would not assure that the results of the auto fuel upload wouldn't be nonsensical. You'll note, also, that when you leave your trip and then return, none of the Top Off Fuel buttons are illuminated anymore.

It is interesting to note, however, that there is not anything in the current setup to prevent auto-calculating a fuel upload quantity that is more than the established capacity of the fuel tank. I've induced calculations of well over 100 gallons of fuel for my 80-gallon tank using the Top Off Fuel button. So, I do think there is a need to add a dynamic limit to the calculation that prevents fuel upload that is more than the capacity of the fuel tank.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #4

This has been reported.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 02-23-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Response: Fueling has always worked this way(which it has). All the numbers work out in the end but it is hard to wrap our brains around this.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 02-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Response: Fueling has always worked this way(which it has). All the numbers work out in the end but it is hard to wrap our brains around this.
"Fueling has always worked this way..." Agreed. Previously, you had to do the fuel-add calculation yourself, then the self-correct function was included for those of us who couldn't add. And finally, you got lots of input to add the functionality to just punch a button to auto-calculate. Now it's quick, efficient and "mindless". The impact is just the placement of the next fill-up warning if you overfill. Maybe that doesn't call for a caution. You all can make that judgment. But Murphy says it's going to happen.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
So is the trip off fuel button simply a quick way to calculate the max amount to fill and does not update as the route changes? If so, nothing changed. You could already do that by typing in your total tank capacity. The app adjusts down to account for what you already have in the tank.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
So is the trip off fuel button simply a quick way to calculate the max amount to fill and does not update as the route changes? If so, nothing changed. You could already do that by typing in your total tank capacity. The app adjusts down to account for what you already have in the tank.
I think the real question you've actually posed is whether the Top Off Button should be in Settings (Default and/or Trip) vs. at each Gas Stop, because if you want the button to automatically recalculate for prior route adjustments, by default, you'd want that recalc to cascade thru every subsequent Gas Stop. And then you'd have to check every subsequent route segment to see if the impact of the recalc is acceptable to your existing plan. Depending on the # of routing adjustments you make and the size of your tank (the smaller the tank the greater the potential planning impact), if you don't recheck everything, you could find yourself being surprised.

My personal preference is to use the Button per stop, and then plan subsequent stops accordingly. I never add gas stops (my preference) to a trip until I have the trip essentially set first, otherwise I'd be uselessly churning establishing/removing Gas Stops thru the whole process. So, for that reason, I value the quick click 1-time fuel upload function of the Button instead of having to key the numbers in (I'm an older guy thankful to be able to minimize any key strokes), and I really don't see auto-recalc as a net effort saver. JMO.

Tags
fuel