Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Tablet or laptop for RV trip wizard

I need to buy one to dedicate it to navigation. Looking for maybe a used one around 200.00 . Which do you find is better ? I have used both on occasion if traveling. Model and number or a link would be good.
Washington T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I find the program is somewhat easier to use on my Windows laptop than on my iPad. But the iPad is more portable.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Laptop for trip planning.Then I have a 10" tablet mounted to the dash in front of the steering wheel for running Waze for each day's travel. I'm traveling solo, so no navigator on board, save Maizy Waze in the that tablet. I could not have gotten through the last 5 days without her.
SLOweather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #4

Any tablet will suffice. I use 10" "Samsung Galaxy Tab A"s.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Laptop for trip planning.Then I have a 10" tablet mounted to the dash in front of the steering wheel for running Waze for each day's travel. I'm traveling solo, so no navigator on board, save Maizy Waze in the that tablet. I could not have gotten through the last 5 days without her.

What is Maizy Waze
Old 06-11-2020, 01:44 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the make and model.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I find the program is somewhat easier to use on my Windows laptop than on my iPad. But the iPad is more portable.
I agree with this statement. I have an Android tablet instead of an Ipad. The laptop is so much easier to use especially if you use the drag feature. Even though my laptop has a touchscreen the mouse pointer is easier than using it. I do use my tablet some, but the main trip planning is done on my laptop and I can open the trip on both of them.

I use CoPilot as my GPS on my 10" Android tablet while driving.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing to note is Trip Wizard is not an interactive GPS tool to follow your route while traveling. For the GPS, i recommend a Garmin GPS in the RV or Trucker models.

Trip Wizard works great as a planning tool.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

RV Trip Wizard has an app called RV Life that syncs your trips with RVTW. You can use this app either online or offline if you download the maps.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Just a word of caution on using a tablet for navigation...

Be sure you have a tablet with an embedded GPS chip in it. For example, the only Apple iPad that includes the GPS chip is the WiFi + Cellular models. I have no idea about Android devices, but I suspect it is the same.

While WiFi only will provide you a static location, the triangulation will not provide enough accuracy [or speed] for using as a navigation device.

If you have the embedded GPS chip, you can use offline maps and navigation will still function, even if you don't have a cellular connection.

I currently use a 12.9" Apple iPad Pro, with a cellular connection. It provides a great alternative to my coach's navigation system. I use an Apple TV to airplay Google Maps (Satellite View) to the front overhead TV.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Just a word of caution on using a tablet for navigation...

Be sure you have a tablet with an embedded GPS chip in it. For example, the only Apple iPad that includes the GPS chip is the WiFi + Cellular models. I have no idea about Android devices, but I suspect it is the same.

While WiFi only will provide you a static location, the triangulation will not provide enough accuracy [or speed] for using as a navigation device.
Actually most Android tablets, WiFi or Cellular models do have an embedded GPS chip. Only the very cheapest ones do not. For instance I have a Samsung Tab A WiFi only tablet that has the GPS chip. I use it for navigation all the time. If I recall correctly, it was about $150. I am not a big fan of iPads. You get much more bang for your buck with an Android.

Just as a general rule for RV Trip Wizard, the bigger the screen the better. I have a windows laptop with a 24" monitor attached that really works great with RVTW. However, the 15" screen of the laptop will be fine. The smaller 10" tablet, not so much.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington T View Post
What is Maizy Waze

Sorry... The name I gave the default female voice for Waze on my tablet.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #13

I use a laptop for planning all trips. The keyboard is easier. In addition, I have a second screen that makes it more beneficial. We carry the IPAD while traveling, but the laptop on the road is still much easier to use than a tablet.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard