Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2023, 07:37 AM   #1

Trip Wizard as a navigation tool

There was a recent thread concerning Trip Wizard as a trip planning tool and asking if it was the best such tool around. While its trip planning use is helpful I have been using it mostly as a navigation tool, displaying the phone app on the info display in my RV, and I have found it to be lacking some pretty basic functionality or, perhaps, I am missing how to use what I seem to be lacking. Perhaps someone can tell me if I am just making a mistake in how I set up and use the (iPhone) app. I am new to the app so perhaps I just don't know how to use it fully enough.

1. There is no display of my current speed.

Someone is going to tell me to look at the speedometer in my dashboard, but in fact I consider the GPS generated speed display on my other navigation tools to be much more accurate than the built-in speedometer. Most of the vehicle speedometers I have had in my life have been off by between 5% and 10% so I rely on the GPS display for accuracy.

2. There is no mute button on the app, allowing me to silence the annoying voice telling me to drive straight.

Someone is going to tell me to turn the volume on my radio down, but that does not work on my RV since the navigation channel of the radio is separate from the radio channel and turning the volume down or up has no affect on the navigation audio.

To turn the navigation volume up or down I have to dive deeply into the system menu to adjust the volume and I did that to turn it off, but then when I do need it I don't have the time to again go into the menu system to turn the volume up. A mute button would solve that if it were available, as it is on most of my other navigation software.

3. I was unable to zoom the display to show me more or less of the route. I wanted to know what the road looked like far ahead and could not adjust the display to let me see.

4. I have not been able to figure out what the intermediate displayed distances are supposed to mean.

The display shows me that there are xxx miles to something along the way, and I assumed that those distances are to an important road junction or perhaps the middle of some small city, but there seems to be no rational explanation. Once on the trip the only distinctive thing on the road at that distance was a cattle guard and several times it was an obscure and insignificant spot in a small town. Not the center of the town but a small crosswalk or a small road.

One time it did not even mark the point where I had to leave the highway I was on and use a different highway, perhaps because I was to continue driving straight as the old highway turned off and the new one continued straight, but I would have thought that it would have marked where I had to change highways.

5. Since it will not allow me to add custom POIs I have had to create routes to those locations I want to use as custom POIs.

That has helped, but since it is a route and not a destination it asks me if I want to follow the route exactly or make "live" changes. If I tell it I want to follow the route exactly it will try to first take me to the original point on the route, which is usually my home, and if I am on the road I don't want to do that, but if I choose "live" changes it does not guarantee to produce RV safe routes, which I why I want to use RVLife to begin with.

There is other stuff, but these are the most annoying. If I am just missing how to display or use the phone app for navigation perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. Otherwise I end up using my other navigation software (TomTom, which does not need an internet connection, or Google Maps, which does).
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It IS a poor Nav system

We've been using Trip Wizard (browser based) for planning and RVLife (phone app) for navigation for several years now. The problems you describe are real, and we have complained to RV Life more than once.

1) You are correct. The app does not display your current speed.
2) There is no quick mute button. When we know we're on the same road for a long time, dh does use the radio volume control (not what you wanted to hear). He also tells Siri to lower screen brightness or raise screen brightness, since having it on full bright tends to make the iphone overheat after a few hours.
3) You are correct. You cannot adjust or zoom the display. We have requested this as an enhancement
4) We have found the same thing - for example, it is constantly giving us directions about getting onto a road when we are already on it.
5) I have put in "stops" on my route in the browser version and just mark them as "zero" overnights - then, when we call up our driving directions for that day, it takes us from wherever we currently are to the next planned stop. Once we have stopped at that POI, we would reload the app and choose the next stop, typically, our campground for the night.

We have had other more serious issues with RV Life, such as it routing us over a bridge closed for two years for construction. Have considered swapping it out for Garmin, but the thought of having to enter every single destination puts us off (we are full timers, so are on the road 365 days a year). For now, we put up with RV Life, simply for the integration with our trip plans.
browneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:33 PM   #3

I don't use it for daily navigation.

Prefer my GPS

However, one thing I learned is that multi-day trips are potentially dangerous with any navigation device/ method. They are too cumbersome to handle, adjust and tweak. Especially if a daily drive has started.

Each day needs to be a separate trip. For years as a full-timer, I plan long trips. Then I break them down into daily drives.
OldBaldFat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I don’t mean to be offensive but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would try to force RV Trip Planner (an outstanding trip research and planning tool) into serving as a Trip Navigation tool (a role that an RV-specific GPS unit is exceptionally good at).
My current trip is from Mesa, AZ to Orange Beach, AL. Before I go I need to know a lot about my route. Things like what are the most desirable RV parks located roughly 200 miles or about 4 hours apart along my route. When and where can I plan on refueling? How well are the parks rated by other users? Can it handle my size rig? What is the phone number for reservations and what are my exact arrival and departure dates? If something happens to delay me from my original plan then how does that change every subsequent planned stop and how do I contact each one to revise my reservation?
But once I am on my trip I don’t care about anything except turn by turn instructions on how to get from my current location to my very next destination be it an RV park, Point of Interest or fuel stop. How many miles/minutes is it from me and what time will I get there? Also I don’t even try to enter all of my planned destinations into the GPS ahead of time. Part of my routine when getting ready to get started every morning along with disconnection the utility hookups and getting the toad ready is to just punch into the GPS (an old Garmin 760RV) my next destination and hit “Navigate”. If the destination isn’t in the GPS database I just look at Trip Planner or Google for the exact address and punch it in.
To me it’s just a question of choosing the right tool for the job at hand and trying to use a Trip Planner to do detailed navigation is guaranteed to come with self-inflicted aggravation.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:07 PM   #5

I am using it along with Google Android Auto. I double check the directions to make sure they match and away I go. My wife has the printed directions from RVTW.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:28 PM   #6

I use RV Trip Wizard for trip planning and Waze for daily navigation. I like Waze so much, that I have a dedicated 10" tablet mounted on the dash in front of the driver seat. Traveling alone, Waze saved my sanity on several CA-IL trips during and after my divorce.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneil View Post
5) I have put in "stops" on my route in the browser version and just mark them as "zero" overnights - then, when we call up our driving directions for that day, it takes us from wherever we currently are to the next planned stop. Once we have stopped at that POI, we would reload the app and choose the next stop, typically, our campground for the night.
I have done the same with our long trips, but when we leave the next morning and I select the next destination it offers me two choices. If I select the same routing the system wants to take me back to where we started the trip (that is, it wants to take me back home as that was the original starting point of the trip), and if I tell it to use "live" navigation it says it might not create an RV safe trip, which is the entire purpose of using the tool. At least for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneil View Post
We have had other more serious issues with RV Life, such as it routing us over a bridge closed for two years for construction. Have considered swapping it out for Garmin, but the thought of having to enter every single destination puts us off (we are full timers, so are on the road 365 days a year). For now, we put up with RV Life, simply for the integration with our trip plans.
I suspect that is the result of bad data. Years ago we were traveling near Taos, New Mexico with a Class A, towing a car, and I followed the route that the nav system told us to take. We ended up at a rickety old bridge with a weight limit far less than what the RV weighed, let alone the RV and car, with a dirt road on the other side of the bridge. Fortunately there was a parking area where I could unhook the car and turn the RV around. That same system also took us to what turned out to be a gravel and stone switchback road down the side of a mountain. I might have tried that with our Jeep (our TOAD), but not with our Class A.

There have been other issues with other nav systems. I have been routed through peoples back yards, onto fields where there is no existing road, told to exit the highway, only to be told to reenter the highway at the exit and when we returned from our last trip using RVLife and we were about a mile from our home I noticed that the nav display told me we had another 30 miles to go. The mapping display told me to turn and go home, then turn around and go somewhere else before returning to home again. Since I could not zoom the display I never figured out where it was trying to take me, and when I made the turn to go home the whole map changed and now it told me I had only the 1/2 mile to go to home.

Go figure ...
Old 06-05-2023, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I don’t mean to be offensive but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would try to force RV Trip Planner (an outstanding trip research and planning tool) into serving as a Trip Navigation tool (a role that an RV-specific GPS unit is exceptionally good at).
Well, I can only answer for myself, and there are 2 reasons that I tried using it.

First, the whole system is tied to the phone app and it is designed to be used via Apple's CarPlay (and I assume with Android Auto) to be used on the info display of the RV. That is, it is designed to be used as both a planning and a navigation system, so why would I not try to use it for its design purpose? If RVLife did not expect me to use it as a navigation system it would not have offered a free phone app that does nothing but provide navigation information.

Second, the maps on all of my RV based navigation systems have been a lot of trouble to update, and usually pretty expensive to update as well. If they are not updated we often find that the maps are so old and inaccurate that we can not use them to go where we want as some of the roads no longer exist and barriers now exist preventing us from turning where we are told to turn.

Quote:
My current trip is from Mesa, AZ to Orange Beach, AL. Before I go I need to know a lot about my route. Things like what are the most desirable RV parks located roughly 200 miles or about 4 hours apart along my route. When and where can I plan on refueling? How well are the parks rated by other users? Can it handle my size rig? What is the phone number for reservations and what are my exact arrival and departure dates? If something happens to delay me from my original plan then how does that change every subsequent planned stop and how do I contact each one to revise my reservation?
But once I am on my trip I don’t care about anything except turn by turn instructions on how to get from my current location to my very next destination be it an RV park, Point of Interest or fuel stop. How many miles/minutes is it from me and what time will I get there? Also I don’t even try to enter all of my planned destinations into the GPS ahead of time. Part of my routine when getting ready to get started every morning along with disconnection the utility hookups and getting the toad ready is to just punch into the GPS (an old Garmin 760RV) my next destination and hit “Navigate”. If the destination isn’t in the GPS database I just look at Trip Planner or Google for the exact address and punch it in.
To me it’s just a question of choosing the right tool for the job at hand and trying to use a Trip Planner to do detailed navigation is guaranteed to come with self-inflicted aggravation.
Different people travel differently, and have different needs.

Our travel plans are much looser than yours. We have a trip planned from the AJ area to the Orlando, Florida area this summer, and I have routed that out using Trip Planner. But mostly we don't know where we will be staying each night as we are not sure what time we will leave each morning, we don't know if we will stop at some local POI, or stop for lunch, or stop to just walk around. Perhaps we will find we are more tired than we expected, and we stop earlier, or we are full of energy and will drive further. Each day is different and unique, and even when we make the same trip (as we do each year when we go to South Padre Island in Texas) we often stay at different places, so we need to know how far it is to the next small city, or where a nearby RV park might be.

On top of that we often might not stop at a planned RV park if it looks like it will be too noisy or if we can't get a spot where we feel comfortable. We have left parks that looked OK because the electric was not good, or there was too much traffic noise, or it was too crowded. And if the weather is bad we might stop very early, or not leave a park at all until the weather clears up.

Our trips are largely pre-planned, but also largely changeable depending on conditions, and I use the nav system information just for information, not as a firm plan. People are different and so their plans are different.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #9

Driving Times Are Way Off

We use the RV Life Pro Android app for RV-Safe GPS guidance. It seems to estimate driving time to be 20-30% longer than the estimate on Route Planner for the same route, and 15-20% longer than it actually takes, driving at least 5 MPH below the speed limit, or slower.
Example - Newland, NC to Savannah, GA is estimated by RV Life Trip Wizard at 7 hours, but put those points in to RV Safe GPS and it says 9.5 hours. Actual travel was 7.5 hours with normal traffic. It's been the case on every leg of every trip, so far. It sure makes it harder to plan stops and ETA.
I can understand that the Trip Planner bases estimates on "typical" conditions and presumably GPS uses real-time traffic, but it should not be consistently and significantly different all the time.
I've asked RV Life support who said the GPS app would "learn" my driving and adjust. It has not....
I'm trying to get an idea of whether it's just me or if this is typical, and if there is anything that can help me get reliable ETA's along with RV-safe routing.
SloCurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:25 AM   #10

I agree with @SloCurve. The ETA calculations in the RV Life GPS are just absurdly bad. They are too long and your estimate of being too long by 20% to 30% seems about right.

It's too bad because it does have the potential to be a useful solution but not in its current form. I understand that for a big diesel pusher, perhaps towing a car, that the ETA times in the RV Life GPS might be accurate. However, that should be why the app is asking for our RV information. A good navigation solution would use the RV size and weight to impact the ETA calculation, not just use it for road and bridge restrictions.

Des Moines to St Louis is my classic test for any navigation solution. That route is filled with two decades of 4-lane divided highway road improvements on "The Avenue of the Saints" that result in about 4 legitimate routes to take, most of them being non-interstate divided highways. RV Life GPS says this route is 8 hours in a 23 ft Class C which is simply ridiculous. This is a 6 hour trip in a small RV. I've done it dozens of times.

The Togo RV GPS doesn't seem to have this same problem. It has much more realistic ETA times. The Trimble Copilot app is also very, very good at realistic ETA times *if* you buy the traffic add-in (because of the historical traffic knowledge).
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:08 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Agree 100%, we've been using RV Trip Wizard for years and it is a great planning tool.

Clay & Marcy
2004 Winnebago Adv. G35U
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEParosa View Post
Agree 100%, we've been using RV Trip Wizard for years and it is a great planning tool.
As I said earlier, it depends on how you travel.

Selecting specific RV parks on a trip does not work for us as we travel in a less structured way. We are never sure where we will stop for the night, nor how far we will drive, now exactly when we will arrive at our destination. If we see a sign for something or someplace that seems interesting we might take a detour and spend a day or more there, and there have been trips that varied a lot from our original expectations, just due to a change in what we decided to do.

I use TW strictly to make sure that the roads I expect to be on, and the stops I expect to make, are OK for my RV, but also expect to vary from our "plans" along the way. So I do use TW, but use another app, usually TomTom, for actual navigation. I find the TW navigation tool to be less informative than it should be.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr

Quote:

Great comments !!
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
No offense taken. It's not Trip Wizard that's the problem, it's the RV-Safe GPS, which is advertised and marketed for that purpose - to guide and inform in real time. It seems to suck at figuring out how long it takes to get from point A to point B and that makes planning the drive harder.
Trip Wizard is a different product, and it works pretty well. I found it odd that the driving time estimated by the RV-Safe GPS product was so very inconsistent with the estimate in Trip Wizard, which is not a real-time tool, and the differences are not attributable to traffic conditions, but rather to flaws in the GPS product.
SloCurve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard