RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Trip Wizard Doesn't find Fuel Stations

I've had numerous occasions where TW will not find fuel stations that I know are there. Is there something wrong with the way I'm setting up the "points of interest"? For example, I know there are fueling stations in the Cameron, AZ area at the jct. of Rt.89 and Rt. 64, but the only station it finds is a TA station up on Rt. 264.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #2

Trip Wizard does slant more towards the larger truck chains and fuel stops. However, it's easy to find additional fuel stops and add them to your trip. First, find a campground near or in Cameron. You'll see the CAMERON TRADING POST RV PARK right there in Cameron (may have to turn off your filters). Click More Details, then choose Nearby Gas Prices at the bottom left. You'll get a new page that has some additional filters if you need, but you can see there is a Shell station right in Cameron. You can take the address and copy it into RV Trip Wizard and add it as a custom stop.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks. I just don't know why they do not show up on the map initially. In the Research tab, I select Fuel under Types and Misc Gas Stations under points of interest. Those gas stations at the intersection do not show up on the map. Is this a bug in the program? The whole point of the filters is to find "Points of Interest". If I have to do it the way you have described is a work around but the program doesn't seem to work as it should.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #4

For whatever reason, I can't get fuel stop stops to show up on my trips. I tend to use the big truck stops as they are convenient, but they don't even show up. Is there something I need to change in the settings?
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
For whatever reason, I can't get fuel stop stops to show up on my trips. I tend to use the big truck stops as they are convenient, but they don't even show up. Is there something I need to change in the settings?
I don't think it's us....it's the program....it's a BUG.... RV Parky works better at finding them.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #6

TripWizard seems to favor certain brands i.e. Sheetz dont show up.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
TripWizard seems to favor certain brands i.e. Sheetz dont show up.
There is a Misc Gas Stations option in the filter. There is no excuse for it not to find Sheetz. This is a purchased piece of software....it should work better than the free stuff if they are going to charge for it. When you're driving on route 89 in Arizona, the piece of junk ought to show you every place that sells fuel.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I know that there are many "regional" stations not in the RVTW database.

Speedway, RaceTrac, Circle K, WaWa, Holiday, Kwik Trip, Cenex, Clancy's, and on and on ad infinitum. A database for every single gas station in the US & Canada would be huge, into the hundreds of thousands. I think RVTW is in the process of revamping the fuel stations.

You can put in the address of almost any gas station (or anything else) into the Search Box and set it as a Custom Stop, on your trip.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
But, I use (rely) on the program to discover them and reveal them to me. I can't put in the address if I don't know they exist. If I have to use another program along every route to find fuel it sort of defeats the purpose of using the Wizard. If RV Parky (and Google) can do it, why can't the Trip Wizard folks. I'm just saying that it's a weak area in the program and could certainly be improved.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can select a campground near where you want to find gas, then open up the "Info" screen for that campground. At the bottom of that screen select the "Nearby Gas Prices" link. A new window will open up, showing all the gas stations in the area, with prices and addresses, and a map that you can switch to a satellite view so you can determine whether or not you can get in and out.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
You can select a campground near where you want to find gas, then open up the "Info" screen for that campground. At the bottom of that screen select the "Nearby Gas Prices" link. A new window will open up, showing all the gas stations in the area, with prices and addresses, and a map that you can switch to a satellite view so you can determine whether or not you can get in and out.
Yes that was pointed out earlier. However, if I need gas in an area that I'm not stopping, then I have to find a CG and follow your procedure all along the way to find fuel. This isn't 1989...for Pete's sake, just improve the program already if you're going to charge people it should do what the free apps do.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
Yes that was pointed out earlier. However, if I need gas in an area that I'm not stopping, then I have to find a CG and follow your procedure all along the way to find fuel. This isn't 1989...for Pete's sake, just improve the program already if you're going to charge people it should do what the free apps do.
Hmmm, and I thought it was just me not knowing how to use the program. I'm looking at driving Rte. 90 in TX from the San Antonio area toward Big Bend. According to Trip Wizard, there's essentially no fuel along 90 for that entire stretch. Assuming I'm using the program correctly, as a paid piece of software, lacking basic info that is so critically important to it's users is inexcusable. I think I'm still in my trial period, if this is the way the software is and it's not operator error, I think I'm going to cancel. This is a critical shortcoming.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Hmmm, and I thought it was just me not knowing how to use the program. I'm looking at driving Rte. 90 in TX from the San Antonio area toward Big Bend. According to Trip Wizard, there's essentially no fuel along 90 for that entire stretch. Assuming I'm using the program correctly, as a paid piece of software, lacking basic info that is so critically important to it's users is inexcusable. I think I'm still in my trial period, if this is the way the software is and it's not operator error, I think I'm going to cancel. This is a critical shortcoming.
AGREED
Old 01-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I don't think the situation is so dire that you have to throw away all of the travel planning functionality that RVTW affords you just because it's gas station database isn't as robust as the rest of the program. Yes, the database is skewed more to national chains on the interstates, but for me driving a gas Class A (36') and towing, it's the interstates that are the greatest challenge when looking for a station I will fit in. US and State Routes are a walk in the park, comparatively, because I can see each prospective station before I pull off to enter them. That's seldom the case when deciding which exit to take for a gas stop.
But the other part of this is the planning element, which I also understand. It's here where you use the Fuel Warning Icon to point out where you need to start looking for a fuel stop. At this point, you can look at the details for a nearby CG to see all the local gas stations as proposed above, or you can just go to the Satellite View to find what gas is in the area of your Fuel Warning. It's not a big deal. My "long" trips are 5-8 weeks, and I always layout potential fuel stops in between CG's based on projected gallons remaining in my tank, and the process is very productive with a minimum of effort. I certainly would not cancel my subscription to RVTW because of gas stops. The rest of the program is hugely enabling for planning our adventures, and is getting better each year. Hang in there.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, trip wizard