Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Trip Wizard Help

I am a first time Trip Wizard user.
I set RV info with Height at 13’9” and trip wizard is taking me an routes that have clearance restrictions anywhere from 11 feet up
I must be doing something wrong
Advice please
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The map will show you any potential clearance issues you will face. It won't route you around them, but it will point them out so you can change your route accordingly. Be sure and zoom in on the map closely if you are concerned about any clearance warnings. Sometimes those will look like they are on your route, but as you zoom in, you may find them to be on a service road, or an older, parallel road.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Dave,

At this time, RV Trip Wizard is using Google Maps for routing, therefore, no consideration for height or weight. The developers are looking into other options that might improve that.

However, as was stated in the post above, the low clearances should be called out on your map and you can reroute yourself [by using the drag route option] around those route issues; whatever they happen to be.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Dave,

At this time, RV Trip Wizard is using Google Maps for routing, therefore, no consideration for height or weight. The developers are looking into other options that might improve that.

However, as was stated in the post above, the low clearances should be called out on your map and you can reroute yourself [by using the drag route option] around those route issues; whatever they happen to be.
If RVTW doesn't take the RV height in consideration why is there a place to enter that information?
txtinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

By entering your RV height, RV Trip Wizard will show low clearances that are either on or near your route. In many cases, if you zoom in on the map, the low clearance will be on a side road and not on your actual route.

This is a hassle, to be sure, to check these. But, in terms of overall trip planning features, I have not found any other program that performs as well as RV Trip Wizard.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 02-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I’ve used Trip Wizard for several years and wouldn’t use anything else for trip planning. I certainly appreciate all the updates in the last year or so, however for me it’s strictly for trip planning, not navigation.

For navigation I use Copilot (RV), running on an iPad Pro and air played to my front TV, so I can see the route and easily hear the voice guidance coming through the TV speakers. My wife, the navigator, can look ahead (on the iPad) for rest stops and other points of interest and, as necessary, switches to Google Maps satellite view to look at rest stop parking or ingress/egress at scheduled truck stops.

Although we have a continuous internet connection, Copilot doesn’t require it since the maps (all of North America in my case) are stored on the iPad. The maps are updated about twice a year.

For us this is a vastly superior setup to any dedicated GPS box and orders of magnitude better than the system built into our coach.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

You can load lowclearances.com or the lowclearances from POI Factory onto your GPS then th GPS will warn you. Also when you verify your route use the Truckers Map Book, lists all the low clearances on the the trucker routes.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I’ve used Trip Wizard for several years and wouldn’t use anything else for trip planning. I certainly appreciate all the updates in the last year or so, however for me it’s strictly for trip planning, not navigation.

For navigation I use Copilot (RV), running on an iPad Pro and air played to my front TV, so I can see the route and easily hear the voice guidance coming through the TV speakers. My wife, the navigator, can look ahead (on the iPad) for rest stops and other points of interest and, as necessary, switches to Google Maps satellite view to look at rest stop parking or ingress/egress at scheduled truck stops.

Although we have a continuous internet connection, Copilot doesn’t require it since the maps (all of North America in my case) are stored on the iPad. The maps are updated about twice a year.

For us this is a vastly superior setup to any dedicated GPS box and orders of magnitude better than the system built into our coach.
Bill, sounds like a nice setup, but how do you mount a big iPad on your dash? Could you post a photo?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Bill, sounds like a nice setup, but how do you mount a big iPad on your dash? Could you post a photo?
Marc,

It’s actually mounted on a carbon fiber arm (from The Joy Factory) that is mounted on the grab pole next to the passenger seat. The mount comes off easily when we are parked and has enough joints so it’s easy to get the best height and viewing angle. This puts the iPad right in front of Lynne who can then do anything on the iPad I might do if it was sitting on my lap. The placement has no effect on getting in and out of the passeneger seat or in and out of the door.

Her most important task is to zoom in on upcoming turns and look ahead to upcoming road changes. Anything she does is available to me at a glance on the overhead TV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE14E09E-BAE3-46F7-88B3-858BA94F11A2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	235236

Click image for larger version

Name:	9ED3228C-6B3F-4F4C-9905-4A6DCF10EDEB.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	235237
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

I don't get it, I downloaded RV Trip Wizard over a year ago & almost everytime I try to use it the page has to reload or it doesn't open up at all.
I've tried reloading it several times & changed WIFi service & it still doesn't work.
I'm sure all these other people that are so happy with it are being honest but I'm certainly not thrilled with it !
Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
I don't get it, I downloaded RV Trip Wizard over a year ago & almost everytime I try to use it the page has to reload or it doesn't open up at all.
I've tried reloading it several times & changed WIFi service & it still doesn't work.
I'm sure all these other people that are so happy with it are being honest but I'm certainly not thrilled with it !
Just guessing but it could be a browser thing. Try using Chrome or another browser. Consider routine browser maintenance like deleting cookies etc.
Mikes47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

Maybe your subscription has expired

Quote:
Similar happened to me..but I had let my subscription expire

..once I renewed..it brought my 12 prior or planned trips back. I normally don5 like paying this much for a yearly subscription..but “I believe “ this is one of those that is. Just wish it was easier to share my routes or planned campgrounds with “Non-RV tripwizard friends”.
William_Tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Just to be clear here....you don't "download" anything to use RV Trip Wizard and the pages reload every time you access it via the internet.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 02-24-2019, 06:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Tell View Post
Similar happened to me..but I had let my subscription expire

..once I renewed..it brought my 12 prior or planned trips back. I normally don5 like paying this much for a yearly subscription..but “I believe “ this is one of those that is. Just wish it was easier to share my routes or planned campgrounds with “Non-RV tripwizard friends”.

You can easily send your trip or export to excel. Then send it to you and forward it to friends and family. I also use the Garmin so Family can track us in real time.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard