Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2023, 05:47 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree: I think the lowest clearance that is legal on an interstate is 13' 6". If you see something lower then it's most likely an underpass UNDER the interstate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 05:43 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
This confusion comes up often. If you zoom you can usually see the low bridge symbol on either side of the interstate indicating the low bridge is the smaller road running under the interstate. You can also flip to satellite view to see that there is nothing going over the interstate.
RVStitchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You are probably going over the Low Clearance. Zoom in and check on that. No interstate will have a Low Clearance that low. I have see some underpasses not at 16'(std) but never that low.
Thank you for the reply. I will try that. If I zoom in it will show what an intersecting road? How do I tell by zooming in?

I still think it should not be there at all because this would not be MY Route. My route is on the interstate and as such would be no low clearance there.
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:53 AM   #18

Just go to Street View on Google maps and you'll know 100% what it looks like.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:25 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Zoom in on the map to the desired area, then in the upper right corner of the map click on the "Map Settings" button. In the resulting menu click on the "Map Style" option and select "Satellite Map"...
Old 02-02-2023, 10:44 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyn1 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I will try that. If I zoom in it will show what an intersecting road? How do I tell by zooming in?

I still think it should not be there at all because this would not be MY Route. My route is on the interstate and as such would be no low clearance there.
Try it and you will see that zooming in when on satellite view will show you there is not a bridge over your interstate route.

Understand your second point but I would guess the low bridge symbols are embedded from some state or federal map and cannot be removed. Removing them based on a route algorithm also might create some liability if the user gets a little confused.
RVStitchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:26 PM   #21

You don't want to find another one of these unexpectedly:

Can Opener Bridge
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
This confusion comes up often. If you zoom you can usually see the low bridge symbol on either side of the interstate indicating the low bridge is the smaller road running under the interstate. You can also flip to satellite view to see that there is nothing going over the interstate.
Thanks for the reply. I did zoom in. Symbol is not located where you could make a determination what it is referring to. I will try the satellite, didn’t think of that.
I am surprised that even a road going under an interstate is 9’9” !
Old 02-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did zoom in. Symbol is not located where you could make a determination what it is referring to. I will try the satellite, didn’t think of that.
Zooming in too far typically results in a very granular picture that sometimes is not helpful to discerning what is on your route. The easiest thing you can do for yourself within RVTW when you are faced with map data that you are unsure of (as in your specific example) is to utilize the Street Map icon at the lower right of the map screen. (See attachment) All you need to do is Drag the icon to the point of interest to get instant Google Street View. On your example, having used this function, you would have immediately seen what you were really dealing with, and would have been able to immediately determine if it was an item of concern for you or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Low Bridge Warning.pdf (360.6 KB, 26 views)
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:33 AM   #24
RV LIFE Support Team

Street View is very sparse outside of towns so you may not have Street View.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:17 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Using the Street View function I spoke of previously, you will see that a 9' 9" warning is for the dirt road going under I-44. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9-9 Underpass - E1860 and I-44.pdf (438.5 KB, 16 views)
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:16 AM   #26

Thank you didn’t think of street view

Tags
trip wizard