Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trip wizard to garmin 890

i just purchased a Garmin 890 and i want to load my trip wizard trips on the gps i saved a gpx file and tried to load it on the gps but no luck what is the trick
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
i just purchased a Garmin 890 and i want to load my trip wizard trips on the gps i saved a gpx file and tried to load it on the gps but no luck what is the trick
I don't think there is a trick. It doesn't transfer cleanly.
My experience, by looking at the file that is to be transferred, is that there is a start and and an end location in the file.
Yes I agree, Garmin Basecamp is the worst to work with, the main software hasn't been updated in MANY years. I've tried several times to transfer from Trip Wizard to Garmin Basecamp and then to the GPS and have resolved myself to the need to checking every step of the way in Garmin Basecamp. It's not really clear to me that when the information from Basecamp is transferred directly to the Garmin GPS, otherwise, why would it need to "recalculate" when I chose the trip on the GPS??
This last trip, I had both the GPS and Trip wizard (on a cell phone) going and found that in some cases, the GPS gave better "heads up" to upcoming turns and exits and that the trip wizard would repeat "proceed to the route" when I was a long ways from a turn or exit or "stay on route XX in one mile" and it was a long straight road.
Check the basecamp route as best you can, I've found that there are excursions off an exit, only to come back on to the main route, for no apparent reason.
I admit, I'm considering getting an iPad with cellular (strictly for the GPS option) to use trip wizard that way.
However, I do like that the Garmin GPS shows me the speed limits in small towns and back roads.
Save Journeys!
Parafango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #3

Just because you think your GPS should dance to RVTW’s tune doesn’t mean you should use it that way. RVTW is for planning, the 890 is for getting from A to B each day.

Do what the experts do: plan your trip with as much detail as you want, but enter each days destination and stops the night before. The hassle of trying to port RVTW details into a GPS device is not worth it.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBike View Post
Just because you think your GPS should dance to RVTW’s tune doesn’t mean you should use it that way. RVTW is for planning, the 890 is for getting from A to B each day.

Do what the experts do: plan your trip with as much detail as you want, but enter each days destination and stops the night before. The hassle of trying to port RVTW details into a GPS device is not worth it.
I completely agree. I've been using the RVTW for planning and breaking up a long trip into segments to input into the GPS for a while now and have had good success. Putting the whole trip as one segment in the GPS, isn't worth the stress.
Parafango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:01 PM   #5

John and Parafango are correct. Forget trying to load a RVTW route to your GPS. Your Garmin GPS routes you to your destination based on the parameters you designated using Garmins routing engine. When you download a route created in RVTW to your GPS, your GPS simply takes the origination and destination from your RVTW route and creates its own routing,-----as it should be. You paid good money for your GPS and it's doing exactly what you bought it for.

Now with that being said it is possible for you to duplicate the route you created in RVTW and have it display on your GPS by using Garmin's PC software - BaseCamp and creating sufficient turn points to mirror the RVTW route. But take my word on this, its not worth the trouble.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
In my post above I may have mis-understood. You can load all your destinations that you created in RVTW, normally campgrounds for most folks, and have your GPS route you to those campgrounds. However as explained above the route your GPS creates may or may not be exactly the route RVTW created.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #7
C-3

It's been months now since I did this so my notes below (copied and pasted from a Word doc I have on file) are not as clear to me as when I was regularly transferring .gpx files to my 890 but if you spend a little time at it, I think you will be successful too and it should only take 10 minutes. There are really only a half dozen clicks of the mouse, the other 8 minutes are spent trying to make sense out of your notes from the last time you did this!

There is a huge caveat to this process; this really only works well with most previously entered way points in the GPS deleted else you will have overlapping way points from previous trips and things get VERY cumbersome to have to figure out which are for your current trip. I find deleting previous stops an acceptable solution thus a fair trade as pulling a toy hauler, I have every fuel stop and rest stop built into my Trip Wizard file so manually entering all that crap each travel morning is not in my cards. Per trip, I only have two files; one getting there and one coming home so even on a 4-week trip, I only have to perform this exercise twice. It's no big deal and once you are familiar with the procedure and doctor up the notes to your liking, it is pretty slick. One more interesting point to be aware of; the 890 doesn't receive the file as a route (or if it does, certainly doesn't bring the entire route up). It receives all the individual stops as way points. Way points will be listed in order of distance so on day one, they will all be in perfect order! Not so much so on day two, but it's no big deal as if you're heading west, you'll just select the next one to the west of your current stop, not the next closest one to the east, if that makes sense.

Garmin Basecamp needs downloaded to the laptop.

With the Garmin 890 connected to the laptop:
Open Basecamp on the laptop. (If you get a communication error, take a picture of the file name that the error occurred on. Go find that file in the Garmin and delete it (one does that via the laptop by opening File Explorer, going to the Garmin drive folder, and finding the file name within that folder. You'll have to poke around but you'll find it quickly. Once found, just right click it and delete it. Close Basecamp then reopen Basecamp and it should now open error free.)

In Basecamp, if an old trip is listed under Data received from RV890, right click the file and hit ‘Remove and Delete Unique Content’.

Click on My Collection to highlight the My Collection’s folder.

At top left, click ‘File’, then click ‘Import into My Collection’.

Select the file you want to import and then Basecamp imports it.
You’ll know it’s imported if you see the route on the Basecamp map.

Highlight the file name just added that you want to get onto the Garmin.

Click the green joy stick looking app (arrow going down) which sends the file to the Garmin.

Once downloaded, in Basecamp, under Devices/RV890, you will see a green check mark show up on the Internal Storage folder. That check mark signifies the import has been completed.

To EJECT device (Garmin 890) from Basecamp on the laptop, right click on Internal Storage symbol. Click Eject.

Best of luck!
C-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, trip wizard