Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #43
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgr View Post
Freelunch: I really like the WAZE product which I run on my iPad to navigate with & keep me appraised of "trouble ahead". How do I import a trip from the trip wizard into WAZE? I seem to be missing the import part of the equation.

Thans in advance...billgr
03 GX470 pushing our 09 Camelot 40QDP
Bill - You can't directly import a RVTW trip into Waze. You can do the following though:
1) Install RV LIFE app and login using your RV LIFE ID (this is the same email and password as RVTW)
2) You will see a Trips tab where you can look at your trips and stops. Tap on a trip and tap the routing arrow of a stop that you want to navigate to. Select "Use Other Map Provider" and select Waze.
3) Note that this will use Waze as your routing engine. Waze does not take into account needs of RVs. However, if you like Waze and want to continue to use Waze, this is how you can do it with Waze or Google/Apple.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #44
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spc19498 View Post
I downloaded the RV Life app last night, started free 7 day trial for the $19.99/yr option and tried to use it today. Traveling from Coos Bay, OR to Newport, OR in our RV. Right out of the gate I ran into issues. First, no voice turn by turn guidance. I checked the settings and it was turned on, but I never received and voice commands. I don’t like to look at my phone while driving so I like the voice. Second problem, the directions from Coos Bay to Newport are about as simple as it gets. Take the 101 north. But the RV Life navigation map tried to have me go through a neighborhood to short cut the trip through Coos Bay. Absolutely unnecessary, especially in an RV with a toad. So I closed the app and put the address into Apple Maps and just used that, which had me stay on the 101, and gave me voice guidance. So I’ll probably cancel the subscription.
With RV LIFE, there are two routing modes. The first default mode is RV Routing. If you swipe over to the left, you will find Car routing. The car routing will in most cases be fairly close to what you see with Apple or Google maps if not identical most of the times.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #45
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post

The RV LIFE app (which already has my RV length/height/weight plugged in) must know that the stretch of Newmark from Broadway to 101 is restricted to vehicles over 15,000 lbs.

Admittedly, I don’t know jack about the inner workings of GPS systems, but I can imagine that regardless of brand or manufacturer, they all have much in common, like an enormous database of low clearances, bridges, tunnels, and other restrictions, including real-time traffic slowdowns, obstructions, and detours, especially systems that take into consideration your RV’s size and weight. After avoiding those obstacles, they probably look for the shortest route between Point A and Point B. Of course, it’s really more complicated than that, and I’m probably over-simplifying.

Bottom line, I wouldn’t abandon the RV LIFE app just because it routed you through the back streets of Coos Bay one time. The app shows a lot of promise and it’s backed by a very responsive tech support team. It’ll only get better. Even without the RV-safe GPS guidance, the basic (free) version of the app is very useful and worth keeping.

And by the way, the voice guidance worked as advertised in my vehicle. I have mine connected to the truck factory-installed nav/radio via bluetooth, and it comes over the speakers loud and clear.
Radio Flyer - if there is a specific stretch of road that you know has a weight limit on it, then please report it to support@rvlife.com

Today we'll be releasing a new version of RVTW that will complement the RV LIFE app. One of the features within RVTW is the ability to see the elevation profile and gradients of your route. Therefore, hopefully, this will help you plan/understand your route faster/easier.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #46

A little confusion?

I have been using RV Trip Wizard for a year now. I have only been able to access it thru a browser on my computer. It seems others are able to get an app from the Play Store or Apple store but nothing shows up on my devices. I have downloaded and installed RV Life on both my Android phone and iPad. I signed up for a free trial on my phone. On my iPad it is asking for another payment to access premium. Is this a glitch as both are signed in using RV Trip Wizard logon, or do you have to pay for each device? Anyway it asked for 24.99 for a year on my android phone but asks for 9.99 on my iPad. What is going on?
Jerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerre View Post
I have been using RV Trip Wizard for a year now. I have only been able to access it thru a browser on my computer. It seems others are able to get an app from the Play Store or Apple store but nothing shows up on my devices. I have downloaded and installed RV Life on both my Android phone and iPad. I signed up for a free trial on my phone. On my iPad it is asking for another payment to access premium. Is this a glitch as both are signed in using RV Trip Wizard logon, or do you have to pay for each device? Anyway it asked for 24.99 for a year on my android phone but asks for 9.99 on my iPad. What is going on?
Jerre,
RVTW is totally web based and there is no dedicated app for it. It is accessed through a browser on all devices. It is smart enough to realize what type of device is being used and adjust itself for that device. I can't help with the payment options.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #48

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have the free version of the RV Life App. Where is this "trip" tab that has been mentioned. I don't have it. Does it only show up with the paid subscription?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #49

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
I think you mean $19.99 on an iPad. At least that's what mine says.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #50
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
I downloaded the app on my Pad and my two phones. I then bought a subscription. I downloaded Florida on one phone, and then downloaded all the states for my trip on another. Never had the time to download on the third that day. When the latest release came out two days ago, RVLife on recognizes my subscription only on one phone now, and will not let me download on the other two. New bug or a nasty restriction? It does show my routes on all three devices.
Waterman - Apple defines how the sharing for In App Purchases work. In App Purchases are tied to an Apple ID. Therefore, if you are using the same Apple ID on the devices, it will share the subscription. If you are using different Apple IDs, then it will not.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #51
RVTW

Quote:
Jerre - we are doing an introductory offer for RV Trip Wizard active subscribers. If you are logged into the RV LIFE app with your RV LIFE ID that is associated with your RVTW active membership, then you will see a discount.

RV Trip Wizard is a web based product that is designed to help people plan trips.

RV LIFE is a free app with the option to purchase a subscription to advanced features such as turn by turn directions. To simplify the syncing process between RV LIFE and RV Trip Wizard, we are using the same ID to make it more user friendly. Therefore, once you login to the app, your trips automatically sync. RV LIFE is an optional application that allows you to execute your plans from RV Trip Wizard. This helps users so they don't have to download their GPX file, install Basecamp, install other third party drivers, etc to upload their trip to their GPS. Instead of buying a $500 Garmin, we hope that people will find that the RV LIFE app provides another solution to getting turn by turn directions.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #52
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFiver View Post
I have the free version of the RV Life App. Where is this "trip" tab that has been mentioned. I don't have it. Does it only show up with the paid subscription?

MDFiver, within the RV LIFE app, you will see five icons on the bottom of the app. For You, Parks, Trips, Articles, and Account. The center icon is a link to the Trips feature within the app. This is where if you have an RVTW account AND you are logged into the app, then you can see your RVTW trips on this tab.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
Waterman - Apple defines how the sharing for In App Purchases work. In App Purchases are tied to an Apple ID. Therefore, if you are using the same Apple ID on the devices, it will share the subscription. If you are using different Apple IDs, then it will not.

We are all on Android not Apple. We have multiple accounts on all three devices. My personal account (which is what I use for irv2) and the house account - which is what I registered RVLife with. RVLife knows I am in the right account, as it brings up all my trips, RV spec, etc. Phone #1 AT&T - I was able to download Florida maps. Due to lack of time, I did not download more. Now it won't without purchasing again. Phone #2 T-Mobile. I was able to download all states I needed for trip to Vermont., Android Pad - Haven't downloaded any maps, and it won't let me without buying again.

Also, for turn by turn - once you have selected Waze, there appears to no way to deselect it. There needs to be more configuration options.

This program should be free until it becomes more mature. It is a good start, but not prime time yet.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #54
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
We are all on Android not Apple. We have multiple accounts on all three devices. My personal account (which is what I use for irv2) and the house account - which is what I registered RVLife with. RVLife knows I am in the right account, as it brings up all my trips, RV spec, etc. Phone #1 AT&T - I was able to download Florida maps. Due to lack of time, I did not download more. Now it won't without purchasing again. Phone #2 T-Mobile. I was able to download all states I needed for trip to Vermont., Android Pad - Haven't downloaded any maps, and it won't let me without buying again.

Also, for turn by turn - once you have selected Waze, there appears to no way to deselect it. There needs to be more configuration options.
Waterman - Like Apple, Google sets the rules for the Play Store. We can't change it even if we wanted to. Therefore, if you are logged in with the same Play Store account, then you'll be able to use the benefits of the one subscription. However, if say you/your spouse/kids, etc want to use it, then you'll need to use the same Play Store account on each device.

With regards to changing from say Waze to Google Maps, you can do that by going to Account > Settings > Navigation and select your preferred map provider.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #55

I downloaded this to my phone and my tablet which are both Android. This works on my phone, but not my tablet.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I downloaded this to my phone and my tablet which are both Android. This works on my phone, but not my tablet.

Agreed, something broke in the last update. Checking my subscriptions, all three devices say RV-Life, Annual Plan Free until June 25th, 2019, then $19.99/year. Subscriber since Jun 18, 2019.

I was able to download maps individually by state on my android pad, but it does not allow me to use them, nor under Navigation can I select RV Life Maps on either the Android Pad or the Android AT&T phone. I can select RV Life Maps on the T-Mobile phone.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard