Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #57
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
Agreed, something broke in the last update. Checking my subscriptions, all three devices say RV-Life, Annual Plan Free until June 25th, 2019, then $19.99/year. Subscriber since Jun 18, 2019.

I was able to download maps individually by state on my android pad, but it does not allow me to use them, nor under Navigation can I select RV Life Maps on either the Android Pad or the Android AT&T phone. I can select RV Life Maps on the T-Mobile phone.

Waterman - thank you for the response. So, this is what I believe is happening. First, turn by turn has not been turned on for Android. It hasn't ever been turned on for Android. We do plan to release turn by turn on Android, but it's not ready. Therefore, when you're trying to route with RV LIFE maps, it won't let you do it. The offline maps provide offline maps to use/view, but are not usable for routing right now on Android.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #58

Trip length between RV Life and Google Maps

I just subscribed to RV Life and picked a campground I visited a 2 weeks ago. i entered the location into RV Life and it came back with a route of 144.8 miles and a trip length of 3 hours and 57 minutes. I entered the same destination in Google maps and it came back with a trip of 136 miles and a time of 2 hours and 17 minutes. I drove the route 2 weeks ago and I looked at the route on the map for both apps and they are almost exactly the same. The only difference is in the last 10 miles. The difference in mileage is only 8.8 miles but RV Life says that 8.8 miles will take me almost 2 additional hours. How does RV Life calculate the trip time? Driving a 30 foot Newmar Class A it took me about 2 and 1/2 hours at 65 miles an hour.
Naptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:37 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Life uses the default speeds that you put in when you built the route(one reason I want to use it) Google uses typical traffic speeds. I put in 50 mph as my default to account for fuel stops and an occasional walk around to stretch the legs.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #60

I can understand the average speed thing but I didn't build a trip. I just entered the destination in the 'Where do you want to go' box and clicked 'View RV Friendly Directions'. I don't see anywhere to enter an average speed so RV Life has a default speed build in somewhere. I use the estimate to determine when I need to leave to get someplace on time and if RV Life is going to be that far off without using Trip Wizard that's going to be a problem for me.

I can see using Trip Wizard for multiple stop trips but to just go from point A to point B with no stops having to create trip seems to be a lot of extra effort. I hope this isn't some ploy to make you buy Trip Wizard.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #61
RV LIFE Support Team

IMO RVTW is meant for creatng trips, not the one off from point A to B. For that I just use Google Maps.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
IMO RVTW is meant for creatng trips, not the one off from point A to B. For that I just use Google Maps.
I have been guilty of doing the same....but RVTW is designed specifically for "your" rv.....Google Maps is not.

Case in point - I am heading to Minot, ND for the FMCA rally. I know the stops I want to make along the way.........I initially plot the trip out on Google Maps - then actually plan the trip on RVTW.....What a difference in times of travel between stops........naturally, RVTW was a lot longer between stops than GMs.....it stands to reason, as my average speed in RVTW and the RV Life app is 50mph - and that is probably too high..

I will also be on some back roads (I like to leave them to the toad) and RVTW makes sure the road is RV safe.....

It works for me - and I definitely like the new upgrades to RVTW and the ability to send the trip to the RVLife app is great.

One last thing.......I also discovered WAZE on a straight thru trip between Ft Meyers and Indianapolis last February. It is the new "CB". Besides the trip routing, which I don't need or use, it warns of police and stopped traffic, which I found extremely helpful. Especially at 2AM.......LOL!!!!!

Take care everyone,

g
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
I can understand the average speed thing but I didn't build a trip. I just entered the destination in the 'Where do you want to go' box and clicked 'View RV Friendly Directions'. I don't see anywhere to enter an average speed so RV Life has a default speed build in somewhere. I use the estimate to determine when I need to leave to get someplace on time and if RV Life is going to be that far off without using Trip Wizard that's going to be a problem for me.

I can see using Trip Wizard for multiple stop trips but to just go from point A to point B with no stops having to create trip seems to be a lot of extra effort. I hope this isn't some ploy to make you buy Trip Wizard.
There may be a misunderstanding concerning my post quoted above. I'm not using Trip Wizard. I'm using RV Life, which provides turn by turn directions, just like Google maps.You can import a trip created with Trip Wizard if you want but it's not required, at least that's my understanding.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I typically post to this forum to either ask or answer a question. Today I’m writing simply to share my experience with two trip planning applications, the RV Trip Wizard and the RV LIFE app. Both of these are excellent tools by themselves, but when used together, they’re phenomenal!

RV Trip Wizard has been my go-to trip planning resource for several years. It’s really good at painting a picture of your entire journey, complete with routes, campsites, waypoints, road hazards, fuel requirements, travel times, distances, and expenses. But that’s all it did. It planned. It did not provide live, real-time, turn-by-turn guidance while rolling down the highway, keeping you on the route you created with Trip Wizard on your computer. Until now.

RV Trip Wizard can now push your routes automatically to the RV LIFE app installed on your iOS device and provide live turn-by-turn navigation. Yes, it’s true that Trip Wizard already had the capability to export *.gpx files to Google Maps or to other stand-alone GPS units such as Garmin or Magellan, albeit via a multi-step, relatively complicated process. But with the RV LIFE app, it’s all automatic. And when you edit your trip on your computer with Trip Wizard, the new changes are automatically pushed to your phone or tablet.

Although the two apps complement each other, you don’t need to load a pre-planned Trip Wizard trip onto your phone to get turn-by-turn RV-safe routing. The RV LIFE app can do that all by itself (similar to Copilot, for those of you familiar with that particular app). But the RV LIFE app does a lot more than that. Check out the link to see for yourself: RV LIFE

I spend a lot of time building the perfect trip with RV Trip Wizard, getting it just right, using the “Drag” function frequently to adjust the route for one reason or the other, but then when I’m on the road, the built-in GPS in my truck, or the one I’m using on my phone (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Copilot, Sygic, etc.) never seems to be in sync with the pre-planned Trip Wizard route. Now, thanks to the RV LIFE app, it is!

BTW, this functionality via the RV LIFE app is only available now on iOS devices. RV-safe GPS directions will be “coming soon” to Android devices. And I am not affiliated in any way with either RV Trip Wizard or RV LIFE. I’m just a happy camper who found a system that works for me, so I thought I’d share it with the forum.
i noticed that you have an Augusta 5th wheel, we have the Luxe Gold that took the place of the Ambition, in addition, also noticed that you are in JAX that was our home for 10 years before we had to goback to that awful place they call Norfolk. haha
barbiep12245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #65
RVTW

Quote:
There may be a misunderstanding concerning my post quoted above. I'm not using Trip Wizard. I'm using RV Life, which provides turn by turn directions, just like Google maps.You can import a trip created with Trip Wizard if you want but it's not required, at least that's my understanding.
RV LIFE is going to calculate the time it takes to get from A to B based upon current traffic conditions (real time traffic does required an internet connection), your RV specs, and the route it is taking.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
RV LIFE is going to calculate the time it takes to get from A to B based upon current traffic conditions (real time traffic does required an internet connection), your RV specs, and the route it is taking.
I guess RV Life isn't quit ready yet. I know the route and except for about 15 miles of the 145 the route is a 4 lane divided US highway. The estimate of 4 hours has me going 36 miles an hour. I've imputed my RV specs, at least for the data asked for and i'm on WiFi.

I tried another location and Google says it 79 miles and estimates 1 hour and 19 minutes. RV Life says 80 miles and 1 hour and 59 minutes. Again I know the route and except for 3.5 miles at the end the entire route is interstate. Again the speed is about 40 miles an hour. I like the app and it has potential but unless I can change the setting for my speed the time estimates are just too far off. I'll check back in the future to see if you've come up with a solution.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #67

Hi,
I created a 2000 mile trip through the web site, creating my route with stops along the way. On my iPad I see the trip I created, and I want to use the iPad as my navigation. However, when I start the route it calculates something different. It isn't following the route I created. I changed the setting to use the RV Life map and not another provider. How do I get it to navigate the route I created?

Thank you!
scott2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #68
RVTW

Quote:
I guess RV Life isn't quit ready yet. I know the route and except for about 15 miles of the 145 the route is a 4 lane divided US highway. The estimate of 4 hours has me going 36 miles an hour. I've imputed my RV specs, at least for the data asked for and i'm on WiFi.

I tried another location and Google says it 79 miles and estimates 1 hour and 19 minutes. RV Life says 80 miles and 1 hour and 59 minutes. Again I know the route and except for 3.5 miles at the end the entire route is interstate. Again the speed is about 40 miles an hour. I like the app and it has potential but unless I can change the setting for my speed the time estimates are just too far off. I'll check back in the future to see if you've come up with a solution.
Naptown - please email support@rvlife.com with the details of your route. I've read the above paragraph a few times and still don't understand exactly what you're saying. Without actual data, I'm only speculating what should/shouldn't be happening.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #69
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
Hi,
I created a 2000 mile trip through the web site, creating my route with stops along the way. On my iPad I see the trip I created, and I want to use the iPad as my navigation. However, when I start the route it calculates something different. It isn't following the route I created. I changed the setting to use the RV Life map and not another provider. How do I get it to navigate the route I created?

Thank you!
Scott - please email the help desk at support@rvtripwizard.com if you're using that to plan the 2000 mile trip and they can also look at what RV LIFE is doing with regards to a particular segment as well. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
Scott - please email the help desk at support@rvtripwizard.com if you're using that to plan the 2000 mile trip and they can also look at what RV LIFE is doing with regards to a particular segment as well. Thanks!
Thanks for the assistance.

It looks like what I want to do is not possible without a work around. What I wanted to do was plan the exact route I wanted to take on the website, and have that route transferred to the app on the iPad. I don't want the "engine" figuring out my route and re-calculating it for me on the fly. With the very first leg of my trip, the GPS engines have me drive through a hilly, twisty 2-lane road that I hardly want to drive my car down.

The work around is to set fake zero-night stops along the route I want to take, to trick the GPS (google, waze, apple, whatever) into forcing a particular road.

I think the work you have done is great, but I would love to see an option that follows the route I want to take, and not what the GPS engines think I should take. My navigator (wife) will look in real time on her phone when needed.
scott2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard