Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #1

Weird circuitous route to NFS park in Pisgah

I'm planning a route through the Asheville area including Lake Powhatan Rec Area in Pisgah National Forest. Approaching from the SE, RVTW routes us up I26 but passes several exits to Lake Powhatan. It proceeds to I40, E on I40, S on US25, W on the BRP to SR191, then turns on the road to the campground. I fail to grasp the logic.

It could more easily take the road it proposes on the exit route which is SR191 to I26. If the logic takes it on that road to leave going N, why not use it to enter by going S from that same exit? Better yet, take SR146 to SR191, but I don't know if RV routing prevents that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Athens-GA-to-Powhatan-NRA-NC.png
Views:	50
Size:	849.9 KB
ID:	352806
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Chris,

The way to check the routing is to drag the road. If you are unable to drag or you get a warning the road is not RV friendly.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Chris,

The way to check the routing is to drag the road. If you are unable to drag or you get a warning the road is not RV friendly.
Sue, no route is RV-friendly due to a dirt road (or something) near the entrance. But all routes must pass through it and it's close to the entrance. It should have no bearing on the circuitous route I described.

Edit: I did drag the route to SR146, with which it's happy. The dirt road warning at the entrance remains.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

Turn off No Unpaved Roads, even 5' of unpaved causes a routing problem.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Turn off No Unpaved Roads, even 5' of unpaved causes a routing problem.
It's on by default but was and is off at the trip level.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove in our car on I-26 by the area that you are inquiring about this past October. There is a significant amount of construction going on from the intersection of I-40/I-26 and heading South. I'm guessing, but it's possible that due to construction, there might be an exit that's been disrupted on your route. You might check on the NCDOT website to see.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:36 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
We drove in our car on I-26 by the area that you are inquiring about this past October. There is a significant amount of construction going on from the intersection of I-40/I-26 and heading South. I'm guessing, but it's possible that due to construction, there might be an exit that's been disrupted on your route. You might check on the NCDOT website to see.

This is exactly what is going on at or near the intersection of SR 146 at I26. I believe there is a whole new intersection being built for that exit over to 191 and there was a short unpaved area before the park entrance.
Just plan on going up to Hwy. 191 (Brevard Rd.) and going back south to the park entrance, it was well marked.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:03 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Despite all the construction on I-26 heading North (or south) it begins after 146 which is Long Sholes Road. I would definitely get off here and head W on 146 to 191 (Brevard Rd.) Turn right on 191. you go under the BRP and turn left toward Asheville Arboretum and the campground follows from there. This is one of our favorite gravel road riding areas. The route chosen for you is nonsense. Another option is to get off I-26 at Airport road (280) head SW to 191 N. 191 is about a mile after you cross the river. Right on 191. Longer than the other but even less construction. Don’t miss a visit to Sierra Nevada Brewery. I live in Brevard but am in Florida now.
HikeBikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route