Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

West from North Carolina

Looking for ideas on a trip West toward Grand Canyon from near Raleigh, North Carolina. Anyone have suggestions on what route we should take and what we might want to see...or not see?

Tom & Cecilia Kennedy
Wake Forest, NC
2018 Canyon Star 3911
plymouth tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

Man there is a lot of stuff out there. What are your likes/dislikes?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #3

40 is a good place to start
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What time of the year and how long will you be on the trip?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

We just spent about a week getting from Raleigh to Tucson. We do our sightseeing on the way back in the Spring. Roads were pretty good this year. Keep an eye on the weather.
Open to questions.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth tom View Post
Looking for ideas on a trip West toward Grand Canyon from near Raleigh, North Carolina. Anyone have suggestions on what route we should take and what we might want to see...or not see?

Tom & Cecilia Kennedy
Wake Forest, NC
2018 Canyon Star 3911
Depends on what time of year and what you want to see along the way.

We did that trip in late October 2017 thru early November (ultimate destination was family in North Las Vegas). Since we live just SE of Nashville, TN, went I-40 the whole way.
(FYI, some stretches of road were pretty monotonous, but beautiful scenery)
Because of a big cold front coming thru the Southwest in the mountains, before we got there, we had some nighttime temps in NM and AZ near freezing. Had to use heated water hose during stay at GC. (it's 6,000+ ft elevation.)

The Grand Canyon National Park is actually an hour dive north of I-40 and Williams, AZ. The Trailer Village RV Park is within the Park boundaries and can handle big-rigs and has FHU. OR you can stay at a CG in Williams and ride the Grand Canyon Railroad north into the park. We stayed in the park. They have shuttle busses going all around the park and one stops right at the CG office. There is RV/bus parking areas near the overlooks. The breakfast buffet at the Yavapi Lodge was pretty good, we tried it our last morning.

A little southeast of Amarillo, TX is Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Commonly known as "The Grand Canyon of Texas". Western OK and TX panhandle we hit strong crosswinds, even semi-trucks were slowing down. Literally, thousands of wind turbines along this stretch.

On the way, we stopped at the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest Nat'l Parks. You can take the exit off I-40 and drive all thru the parks. No problems with bridges as the only one went over I-40 from the Painted Desert south into the Petrified Forest. We stayed in Holbrook, AZ, that night. Also, along I-40 in AZ is the Meteor Crater.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three weeks in June will be a pretty busy driving trip.

I calculate trip time averaging 50 MPH and if you go to Williams Arizona, one of the popular places to see the canyon, it will be about 4200 miles round trip which is about 84 hours driving time round trip.

I'd use highway 40 which is the old Route 66 so there are some historical sites along the way.

https://www.illinoisroute66.org/abou...SAAEgJrQPD_BwE
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We live in Burlington, NC so we know that route pretty well (Kids in Texas).

Grand Canyon Railway was our location from which to visit the park. Fun spot.

Of course Nashville is always fun - Love the Bluebird Cafe.

Santa Fe is a great town to visit.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #9

I really hate it when someone posts in the forum asking for help or suggestions and does not return.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I really hate it when someone posts in the forum asking for help or suggestions and does not return.
Yes
Nothing like everyone talking to
Themselves. @#%&#@
And some threads go on for months of speculation of opinions and hollow ears.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
True, but remember that there are others of us that save these threads for future reference.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote