Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 05:48 AM   #1
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

What Trip Wizard questions do you need answered?

What are some RV LIFE Trip Wizard questions you have that you need answers to, or you see are constantly asked?

Maybe you've just haven't felt like asking them, but wish someone would.

What would you like to know about Trip Wizard, that you don't?

Do you have any really hard questions...aka...stump the presenter-type questions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Mine isn't so much a hard question but just that I haven't taken the time to figure out the solution. That would be this:

I'd like to map my route in RVTW but then I'd like to live-track my progress on my cell phone. Is the only way to do this to subscribe to their separate app? You'd think subscribing to the RVTW should allow that ability.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #3

I like Trip Wizard and use it for all of my planning, but I prefer to navigate using Google Maps. I've tried following the instructions to export my file to Google Maps, but I ended up with a map that showed straight lines rather than following the route.

My solution has been to plot my route first using Trip Wizard, then recreate that route with waypoints on Google Maps. Very time consuming! I kind of gave up on the ability to export the TW route, but since you asked.........
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why is the app so quirky? When I had it installed on new and updated ipad and iphone 11, the app would rotuinely hide certain buttons or functions. So much so i deleted them and use the online login to plan. The planning part is really helpful.

The navigation on my iphone thru appleplay froze my phone each time I tried to use it. Between uses, I rebooted my iphone after deleting the app and then restored it.

One poster had the RV turn by turn directions route her 600 miles out of the way for no apparent reason, all the routing options were set to off or no.

I discovered while the app routed this way every time, the online version routed correctly.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #5

How can you identify waypoints on the map? When I have multiple waypoints, and want to delete one of them, it seems like I always delete the wrong one.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Mine isn't so much a hard question but just that I haven't taken the time to figure out the solution. That would be this:

I'd like to map my route in RVTW but then I'd like to live-track my progress on my cell phone. Is the only way to do this to subscribe to their separate app? You'd think subscribing to the RVTW should allow that ability.
You can (at least I can). I plan my trips on my laptop computer on the website. I then go to the app on my phone and open that trip and it gives me the directions via the app. The app was free for the phone and included (at least in my membership) with the RVTW membership. There is no separate subscription to the app that I've heard of. I also think there is a way to export a trip to Google maps and track it there. Options are plentiful IMO. Need to check out the webpage to understand what your options are.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:16 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
How can you identify waypoints on the map? When I have multiple waypoints, and want to delete one of them, it seems like I always delete the wrong one.
When you have Waypoints listed in the Trip Section, when you click on each one, the screen will center on the one you clicked on. Also, a new bit of functionality just introduced, when you hover your cursor over a Waypoint in the Trip Section, the circle for the corresponding drag point on the map will turn red.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:40 AM   #8

I realize the OP was asking about questions, but since they are a TW ambassador I figured I’d add my hope for an improvement.

Currently waypoints are identified by the first letter of their name, which seems like useless information. I would much rather they be labeled chronologically - by number or letter.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post

You receive 4 products with your single subscription (called RV LIFE Pro bundle):

#1, #3, and #4 are websites that you access from your web browser. #2 is the mobile app.

1) RV LIFE Trip Wizard, a web-based Trip Planning product accessed from your web browser at www.tripwizard.rvlife.com . This can be accessed from any device that has a web browser and internet connection. RV LIFE Trip Wizard is used to find campgrounds, fuel stops, points of interest, and plan your route.

2) RV LIFE app, a mobile app that will allow you to do real-time RV-friendly turn-by-turn offline navigation. This can be downloaded and installed on your mobile device from your phone store. RV LIFE usage and download is restricted to Canada, US and Mexico for legal reasons.

3) RV LIFE Maintenance, a web-based application that allows you to record and get maintenance reminders for your RV. Logon at https://maintenance.rvlife.com/

4) In addition, they have www.campgrounds.rvlife.com, a crowd-sourced review of over 30,000 campgrounds. There is no cost for this product. You can use your RV LIFE Trip Wizard credentials to login here as well.

All products come with a single subscription and all use the same logon credentials.

Once you have subscribed, ignore any additional requests for payment and logon with your credentials.

Remember, plan trips in RV LIFE Trip Wizard on the website, then access them via the RV LIFE app.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:09 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
[FONT=Calibri]You receive 4 products with your single subscription (called RV LIFE Pro bundle)...

OK so basically I do have access using the phone app without having to pay an additional subscription fee. Just ignore the request for payment and login with my ID as usual.

Best answer I could have hoped for! So, my suggestion then would be to combine the planning and navigation in to that phone app. I know.. easier said than done.. but we're just wishing for stuff right?

Thanks for the response, Alan!
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem with doing your planning on the phone is the small size of the screen on the phone - it's almost impossible to do any real planning on such a small screen!
Old 06-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
What are some RV LIFE Trip Wizard questions you have that you need answers to, or you see are constantly asked?

Do you have any really hard questions...aka...stump the presenter-type questions?

I have several comments rather than questions, but will post them here.

Thank you for having this forum to supply feedback.

I just returned home from a 3800 mile trip, using the RV Trip Wizard for the first time. For reference I have an iphone11 with the app.

My biggest ask, and I have seen others with the same ask, is that when we are presented with an alternate RV Safe route vs automobile route, please please please, tell us why the automobile route is not RV safe.

My second biggest ask is on the webpage when planing a trip, give us the option of using RV Safe routes, I only saw automobile routing, and when planning a multiple day trip, having to add several hours for an RV safe route is not exactly welcoming.

Overall I was very happy with the product, the trip planning works fairly well (with the above noted issue), the navigation in the app was easy to follow, and only once led me astray, which was probably my fault.

I did have some issues where I was in an area with no cell service (Utah/Nevada desert) and I was unable to begin navigation. I had downloaded all the maps needed for my route prior to leaving home, so I don't know what that was about. Fortunately I have a Garmin unit as well that got me going.

Thanks again for the place to share needs/wants for this product.
AJossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:17 AM   #13
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

AJossy,

Great feedback, and I have a few comments. Regarding this: "please, tell us why the automobile route is not RV safe." I think there are some things in the works to do that, but I imagine it is limited by screen space on the phone. However....if you are navigating a trip you have planned in Trip Wizard, you should be choosing, "Match My Route Exactly" anyway...since you would have vetted the entire trip already during planning.

The second point, "on the webpage when planing a trip, give us the option of using RV Safe routes," This is already in place and is the default for Trip Wizard. Unless you have manually changed the setting to standard routing, all routing is by default RV Safe routing...there is nothing special you have to do at all.

Finally, regarding: "I did have some issues where I was in an area with no cell service (Utah/Nevada desert) and I was unable to begin navigation". There is an option to download the data for each trip...a big red button in fact, when you begin navigation of that trip. I would encourage you to do that while on Wi-Fi at home or a campground before you get behind the wheel. This should give you the map data for your GPS, even if you lose cell signal.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #14

I received notice today of an update to the website. My cell phone and tablet seem to have updated. My laptop is having issues. It seems to have partially updated. All the stops show but not the trip route.

I've logged off and cleared my cache. Still not working.

Any ideas?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard