Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 02:51 PM   #169

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimerveer View Post
I was using my TW cell app to plan a trip to maine from NJ, stopping in CT for the night.. A trip that I have made before pulling my TT took a little over 4.5 hours to get to CT.
Routing the same trip using Trip Wizard showed it to take over 6 hours. Google maps shows the trip at 4.5 hours over the same route.. Why such a big discrepancy??

Thanks in advance..
In general, Google creates its estimates having you traveling at the posted speed limits. In RVTW, the estimates are based on what you state your "My Average Driving Speed" will be in your Trip Settings. This includes time stopped for gas, meals, etc. You're basically creating this average by dividing your miles to be driven by the Start-to-Stop elapsed time. For me, my estimated driving speed is set at 50 MPH even though I am in the mid-60's when driving. The shorter the driving distance/time for a given day, the greater the perceived discrepancy in drive times between the two estimates because you'll likely have only 1 or maybe 2 stops to your destination, resulting in a higher average speed that you set in your Settings.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #170

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Well it seems I have to turn the Filters tab Off totally for your suggestion to work. So do you only open your filters for setup and turn them off for planning?
I agree with Alan, you should select Display All Campgrounds in your Clubs/Memberships Section. As for filtering, setting some filters is OK, over filtering creates too many conflicts and limits what you will be given for choices when you are planning. When I filter, I always select Big Rig Access, and then if I really need FHU, I'll select that. For me, that's a good start to see what the possibilities are in the area I'll be looking to stop in. Once I see the 1st list of possibilities, if the list is small, I'll either chose the best of the list or look elsewhere. If the list is long, at that point, I'll likely add another filter or two in order to pare the list down. Bottom line, over-filtering at the outset of your trip planning tends to be a planning limiter vs. a planning enabler, especially in areas you are not familiar with.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:22 PM   #171

How to add rest stops to my route?

Is there a way to default show rest stops along our route. When we are in a caravan, we like to regroup regularly at rest areas (if possible) instead of following close to each other... tia!
campingdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:31 PM   #172

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rest Stops are a selectable POI; however, I believe you have to make them a Stop in your trip to show them as part of your route. But if you are preplanning Rest Stops as opposed to chosing them ad hoc, that should work for you.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:34 AM   #173

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Alan thank you for that great explanation! It’s really not a intuitive platform to me. I’ve watched many videos and most are pretty good🤷
Do you have any videos you could suggest to watch? I must have changed some filter settings because it worked better previously.

You can find a decent set of videos at the RVLIFE YouTube channel:

Old 03-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #174

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
How do I get this removed, nothing works?Attachment 388434
Most likely the stop after that message has a locked in date. The message is saying you need to adjust something above the locked date stop so that you no longer have a one night gap before the locked stop.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:56 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
What are some RV LIFE Trip Wizard questions you have that you need answers to, or you see are constantly asked?

Maybe you've just haven't felt like asking them, but wish someone would.

What would you like to know about Trip Wizard, that you don't?

Do you have any really hard questions...aka...stump the presenter-type questions?
New to the app and this site. Trying to figure out how to make the trip wizard avoid steep grades. Possible? Thanks
Silversurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:20 AM   #176

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversurf View Post
New to the app and this site. Trying to figure out how to make the trip wizard avoid steep grades. Possible? Thanks

That’s a good question but I haven’t seen anything for that.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:53 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversurf View Post
I do not think that is possible with the app, any trip planning AP or GPS that I have seen.

I use www.flatestroute.com to check for grades.

This is one which is not great - Denver, CO - Moab, AZ. 27% up grades, 21.5% down grades

https://www.flattestroute.com/Denver-to-Moab

Scroll down and note that is offers some alternative routes which avoid the steepest grades.

Going through Salida, CO lengthens the trip by nearly a 100 miles, BUT the steepest grades on this route are 9% up and 8.2% down.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:10 PM   #178

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My stand alone RV Garmin will tell you while using it but I don’t believe it’s a planning option you can enter.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:46 PM   #179
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldFat View Post
This is one which is not great - Denver, CO - Moab, AZ. 27% up grades, 21.5% down grades

https://www.flattestroute.com/Denver-to-Moab
I don't know where they get that figure. I've driven that route several times and the max I encountered was between 6-7%. Federal law requires Interstate Highways to be a maximum of 6% for extended grades.

And like TMW, my Garmin 890 will show the upcoming grade on a route but not when planning.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:22 PM   #180

The steepest grades shown are in the Georgetown to Bakerville, CO area between Exits 221 and 228.

Just using it as an example for general route planning.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:44 PM   #181

Newmar Owners Club
Driving Radius Adavance

Planing over PC, im having trouble getting min, mid, and max distances displayed. It works fine in as the bird flys mode, but in advanced it only shows max distance border unless max is less than minimum or mid distance. In that case I get mid and max distance display only. Sorry nube here I appreciate insight tks
DriverRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:41 PM   #182

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Trip Wizard questions do you need answered?

Not sure if this helps but should get you to where you need to start. Start in Trip Tools then Trip Settings, Routing and Driving scroll down to Driving Radius. Not sure if that’s what your looking for.

Tags
trip wizard