Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Been using this on iPad for almost a year. IOS phone app virtually useless as described above.

Latest questions: Drag route
Why does dragging a route add a ridiculous and incorrect amount of time?
What is the faint ‘route line’ often seen? It cannot be clicked on. Why is it there?
Why does dragging a route create little off shoot roads that deadend and never were part of a route? See white circles pointed out by red arrows below.

Highways:
Why doesn’t Trip Planner show exit number mm and rest area mm? I just found how to show highway rest areas.

Biggest question of all, why aren’t all these questions answered, in a new FAQ thread or one in Trip Planner?

Thank you
Attachment 376182
When you add Waypoints, you have to make absolutely sure that they land on the road you are targeting. RVTW has no way to know if you really intended that off-road point on the map or not. Secondly, you have 4 waypoints around that one Stop. To me, that lighter shaded section indicates that you are going in circles. You need to determine what order those waypoints are actually in. You do that by placing your cursor over each waypoint in your Trip Section (don't click on them) to see which circle on the map corresponds to it. The circle on the map will turn red when the cursor is over its corresponding entry in the Trip Section. If they are somehow out of correct order, you'll be going in circles. Another way to know which circle corresponds the the waypoint entry in the Trip Section is to click on the waypoint entry. The map will then zoom and center on that waypoint on the map.
Looks to me like you need to redo your waypoints by deleting the incorrect ones and carefully establishing new ones only where you really need them.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #86

how do I reassign the Advance Driving Radius tool to a different location?

I know how to select using the radius, and I know how to give it 3 distances from its assigned city or location.

But, after I use it in position #1, let's call it City #1, it's next to impossible to re-assign the center of the radius on City #2 on the route.

I know I'm supposed to click the bullseye to assign/attach the radius. But the pop-up window closes so fast, I can't click the bullseye. Or, if I manage to sneak up on it before the window closes, it still doesn't re-assign the center of the driving radius.

I even zoom in on City #2 before attempting to click the bullseye, but that doesn't work either.

I think it's a great tool. And I prefer ADVANCED Driving Radius when I can get it to work -- -- which is not often.

Thanks.
Gracie350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #87

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1st question is, are you on PC, tablet, phone? Will be helpful to potential responders. Also, if you click on your "2nd City" in your list of Stops, that should also center the bullseye on that location, I believe.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tips for dragging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
On the topic of route dragging.

If you make a mistake on a drag do not try to drag it back. That is a killer mistake. You can go to the route listing on the left side and delete the small waypoints.

If you stay zoomed way out and just try to change the route by dragging from a mid point you will get all sorts of weird detours and circles. That creates the unusual time and mileage increase.
Thank you, that makes perfect sense. I did not consider zooming in but that explains my issues. I appreciate your answering. Regards
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #89

Fairly new user.... I planned a trip and forced no routing... just selected my destinations. I have a few yellow low clearance warnings. The symbols are not right on the road im traveling on as I zoom in TW close to find the issue. ... but very close or few blocks away. But looking at google maps photo views 1 low clearance warning is bridge I think that is under my road I'm traveling on... so for a cross road under me. How do i know when to know when the hazard is on my path vs close to me? Example is just east of Farwell, TX on HW84 and 145.
Clydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #90

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydel View Post
Fairly new user.... I planned a trip and forced no routing... just selected my destinations. I have a few yellow low clearance warnings. The symbols are not right on the road im traveling on as I zoom in TW close to find the issue. ... but very close or few blocks away. But looking at google maps photo views 1 low clearance warning is bridge I think that is under my road I'm traveling on... so for a cross road under me. How do i know when to know when the hazard is on my path vs close to me? Example is just east of Farwell, TX on HW84 and 145.
You've selected to have the Low Clearance locations shown on your map, which TW is doing for you. However, if you've filled in your vehicle's height (and weight) data, TW will not route you so that you would encounter those locations.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
Does Trip planner cover the West Coast of Mexico to Puerta Varlarta ??
May Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trip Wizard works for all of North America: the US, Canada, and Mexico - with the caveat that there is not nearly the campground density in Canada and Mexico as there is in the US.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:08 PM   #93

My map zooms in WAY close all by itself!

I’ve been using Trip Wizard for at least 4 years now (we are full-time, so I use it a LOT). I’m on an iPad Pro, don’t use the app, use the online version using both Safari and Chrome.

If I’m using Trip Wizard and I navigate away from it by jumping to another tab, or by shooting an email off to someone, and then I go BACK to Trip Wizard, my map has automatically zoomed itself so large that it’s unusable. I can’t see the search bar, Filters button, Map Settings button, etc., nor can I see Trip, Map, Research or Account at the bottom, everything is huge. And I cannot “pinch” the screen to bring it back to normal size. There are only two ways I can bring it back to normal size: 1) tapping on a campground so the details box opens, then I can “pinch” the details box and everything goes back to the correct size; 2) closing the tab entirely, opening a new tab and logging onto Trip Wizard fresh.

It happens on BOTH Safari and Chrome.

It’s annoying. And now, when I jump back to my RV Life Trip Wizard tab, it will be enormous again.
Bobalouie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #94

Newmar Owners Club
Using GPS coordinates to set a destination-Remember Me Function.

Just got information about a meet up giving Lat/Lon co-ordinates. I was just wondering if there is an easy way to add a destination by specifying the Lat/Lon.

On a second question, I am confused as to what the "remember me" box does? I use my computer to work with Trip Wizard and Trip Wizard never remembers me. I always have to enter all of my login information.
JohnJayMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #95

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJayMack View Post
Just got information about a meet up giving Lat/Lon co-ordinates. I was just wondering if there is an easy way to add a destination by specifying the Lat/Lon.
Just enter like this in the search bar: 28.8750,-82.0939
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I like Trip Wizard and use it for all of my planning, but I prefer to navigate using Google Maps. I've tried following the instructions to export my file to Google Maps, but I ended up with a map that showed straight lines rather than following the route.

My solution has been to plot my route first using Trip Wizard, then recreate that route with waypoints on Google Maps. Very time consuming! I kind of gave up on the ability to export the TW route, but since you asked.........
I've experienced the same phenomenon you describe, and I think I found a way around it. When you get your map loaded in google maps, tap a destination map pin. That brings up a menu on the bottom of the screen where you then need to tap "Directions". Google then plots the real route - not some straight line crayon drawing that you initially get.

Downside is that I'm not 100% certain the "RV Safe" route plotter in RVTW is followed. I did a side by side comparison of a ~500 mile trip and it seemed ok. I'll find out next week. My interest in doing this was to take advantage of Android Auto. RVTW does not appear to be compatible with Android Auto. Maybe that's in the future?
Brian Rhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhoda View Post
Snip

Downside is that I'm not 100% certain the "RV Safe" route plotter in RVTW is followed. I did a side by side comparison of a ~500 mile trip and it seemed ok. I'll find out next week. My interest in doing this was to take advantage of Android Auto. RVTW does not appear to be compatible with Android Auto. Maybe that's in the future?

The route that Google Maps displays is routing by Google's routing algorithm. It is not an RV safe route. It may be the same as RVTW routing but you cannot count on the Google route to keep you RV safe.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
The route that Google Maps displays is routing by Google's routing algorithm. It is not an RV safe route. It may be the same as RVTW routing but you cannot count on the Google route to keep you RV safe.
Tim -
Is there a way to import an RVTW route into google maps, besides recreating it using waypoints?
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard