Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AF 27-5L suspension & brakes

We are expecting our new AF 27-5L mid August of this year and I have a couple of questions for the seasoned AF 27-5L owners.

What is the age/miles on your AF and have you had any axle, brake, hub or suspension issues?

I would consider updating to disc brakes and oil bath hubs if there has been issues.

Thanks,
Droski
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #2

First off, welcome to the AF family. We have extensively modified our 27-5. We've had no problems with the running gear except for the Marathon tires it came with. I replaced them with Sailun G rated tires and also went from 80 to 85 profile. I'm very happy with the Sailuns. (Simple tire). I understand the new ones come with Endurance tires now. I'd give them a try. Shortly after we changed to the Sailuns, I added disc brakes. Night and day for stopping. I can unload every forward facing cupboard, in fact, I added child latches just in case I had a panic stop. At the same time, bronze bushings and Morryde 3000 were added. I can't honestly say they made the ride better, but it seemed like a good upgrade since everything was already disassembled. There have been a number of reports of grease on the drums on new AFs. I'd ask the dealer to pull all the drums and inspect or DIY if the dealer refuses.

My biggest recommendation is to take a look at the NROA website. It is a very active site with lots of good help. Caution:
The NROA site definitely is known to infect AF owners with the Mods bug. So far I've added a window, fireplace and auto level to make the 27-5 fit our lifestyle. And those are just the biggies.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the input. What brand of disc brakes did you install? Did you stick with the drum brakes or go to disc?
Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the input. What brand of disc brakes did you install? Did you go with oil bath hubs or did you stick with the EZ lube? Sorry about the previous post to you, i had not consumed my coffee yet!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droski View Post
Thank you for the input. What brand of disc brakes did you install? Did you go with oil bath hubs or did you stick with the EZ lube? Sorry about the previous post to you, i had not consumed my coffee yet!
I've not heard of an oil bath set up for conventional trailer axles. I will say that there is "great possibility" if you use the EZ-Lube you will get grease in your brakes causing need for replacement. Some say they never have issues with them. Some say they found their brakes full of grease-mess. I followed the procedure and ended up with grease-mess. Replaced all the brakes and hand pack from now on.
Vintage465 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
within 6 months of new I switched to 17.5 wheels with Sailun H rated tires, I had performance trailer braking install titan disc brakes and installed the MoRryde CRE 3000 with heavy duty shackles and wet bolts.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Performance Trailer Braking. Hand pack bearings when I think it's time. I do monitor the hubs with an IR temp gauge frequently and run TPMS as well. Several folks have gone to the 17.5s. It's a good way to gain some height if needed.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, suspension